Can I make my 90 days ED extension anywhere in Thailand?

I live in Pattaya and I have to get my 90 days ED visa extension very soon.

Is it possible to make this extension NOT in the Pattaya immigration office but for example in Chonburi or the much quieter Si Racha immigration office?

My school is in Pattaya and I got all the paperwork already to go to the immigration.

Someone tried this already?

biggrin.png !! I'm just looking for another option. The 90 days extension would normally be 1900 baht but it seems that the Pattaya Immigration and the Pattaya schools made some sort of a deal together. Now they want 5,000 baht for a 90 days extension. If you don't pay they give you only 15 days.

I think 5000 baht is way too much

biggrin.png !! I'm just looking for another option. The 90 days extension would normally be 1900 baht but it seems that the Pattaya Immigration and the Pattaya schools made some sort of a deal together. Now they want 5,000 baht for a 90 days extension. If you don't pay they give you only 15 days.

They give you 15 days "under consideration" while verifying. Then you are given the balance of 90 days.

• Like 1

Your school is not part of this scheme. Immigration is behind it. They now want you to attend 8 hours a week, and threaten to check to see if you are there in class. If you pay immigration an additional 3,000 baht while also paying your 1900 baht quarterly, they promise not to check on you. You will receive a receipt for the 1900 baht that goes to the government, but you will not get a receipt for the additional 3,000 baht.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png> !! I'm just looking for another option. The 90 days extension would normally be 1900 baht but it seems that the Pattaya Immigration and the Pattaya schools made some sort of a deal together. Now they want 5,000 baht for a 90 days extension. If you don't pay they give you only 15 days.

Your school is not part of this scheme. Immigration is behind it. They now want you to attend 8 hours a week, and threaten to check to see if you are there in class. If you pay immigration an additional 3,000 baht while also paying your 1900 baht quarterly, they promise not to check on you. You will receive a receipt for the 1900 baht that goes to the government, but you will not get a receipt for the additional 3,000 baht.

Just a reminder !

No individual has yet reported handing an immigration officer 4900 Bht for a 90 day extension.

Yet you try to imply schools are not involved with what is being claimed ?

No individual has yet reported handing an immigration officer 4900 Bht for a 90 day extension.

Repeating this once again since you insist with that ridiculous statements..

The fact that you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

A corrupt officer is not stupid enough to take the money directly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Repeating this once again since you insist with that ridiculous statements..

The fact that you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

A corrupt officer is not stupid enough to take the money directly.

It would appear there is much "accusation" and absolutely no "proof"

Any complaints been made and if so to whom ?

If schools are said not to be involved who does pay the allegedly corrupt ?

What is the "split" of the alleged corruption money ?

Seems to me that some need to grow a pair instead of whining !

To study Thai at a "language school" does not require an "ED" visa or extension of stay !

Easy enough to get a TV and continue the studies or does "work" interfere with the need to leave the country to obtain an alternative visa ?

• Like 1

So if we want to learn Thai we should not get a student visa?

And what visa do you suggest? And more to point what "reason" should we say for applying?

For example a tourist visa; If I put in reason for applying; "Want to study Thai" I am pretty sure it would be denied, and suggested I need to apply for a student visa. Then I will show them your post and everything will be OK?

Edited by Kitsune

And what visa do you suggest? And more to point what "reason" should we say for applying?

For example a tourist visa; If I put in reason for applying; "Want to study Thai" I am pretty sure it would be denied, and suggested I need to apply for a student visa. Then I will show them your post and everything will be OK?

There is no requirement for a person to have a ED visa or extension to attend school.

It is perfectly legal to attend school on a tourist visa or any other visa entry or extension of stay.

I doubt very much they would deny a tourist visa for putting down on the application that you want to attend classes.

• Like 1

There is no requirement for a person to have a ED visa or extension to attend school.

It is perfectly legal to attend school on a tourist visa or any other visa entry or extension of stay.

I doubt very much they would deny a tourist visa for putting down on the application that you want to attend classes.

Interesting...So requiring the adequate visa for each real situation is no longer a must ?

Anyone can take classes to learn Thai.

If that's what you want to do you can apply for a Non-Immigration "ED" visa or a Tourist visa.

However, you should only apply for a Non "ED" if you genuinely intend to study, and you'll need a letter from the school that you are studying at to support your application.

The 'reason' given for applying for any visa should be the genuine reason for applying. If you apply for a tourist visa the reason is Tourist even if you plan to take classes when here.

When studying on a Tourist visa I was told by an immigration officer that a "real tourist" should move places, and visit Thailand from North to South and West to East, she even named, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, etc . I told her I did that on a previous trips but he was still not happy.

Now I am being told the opposite, rules are changing yet again..

When studying on a Tourist visa I was told by an immigration officer that a "real tourist" should move places, and visit Thailand from North to South and West to East, she even named, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket, etc . I told her I did that on a previous trips but he was still not happy.

So do you really think the comments made by one immigration officer is a rule or regulation?

Do you think a person traveling here to take a short cooking class, basic diving, or even a short class to learn basic Thai should get a ED visa?

The only reason to get a ED visa is to get a longer stay than a tourist visa would allow.

Nonsense. Many legitimate tourists settle in, in Pattaya or Chiang Mai or Hua Hin or wherever for their stay and never travel anywhere other than to and from the airport.

If you're here as a tourist and feel like shopping, you don't need a business visa or if want to learn a little Thai or Muay Thai or how to cook Thai food, you don't need an ED visa (although for longer periods of study it would be better) and if you want to sing some karaoke (please don't) you don't need an entertainer visa and you can be married to a Thai even though you don't have an extension of stay based on marriage.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Everyone can attend a language course whenever he/she wants it, no matter what kind of visa he/she has. An ED-ED-Visa allows applicants to stay for a longer period (e.g. many years). Actually,... people who are on an ED VISA and REALLY interested in learning a language, wouldn't complain about the new rule (8 hours in class every week). Only the people who are looking for an easy way to get a long term visa are doing that. They are not interested to learn. All they want is a visa.

Everyone can attend a language course whenever he/she wants it, no matter what kind of visa he/she has. An ED-ED-Visa allows applicants to stay for a longer period (e.g. many years). Actually,... people who are on an ED VISA and REALLY interested in learning a language, wouldn't complain about the new rule (8 hours in class every week). Only the people who are looking for an easy way to get a long term visa are doing that. They are not interested to learn. All they want is a visa.

I am REALLY interested to learn Thai and I think the new rule sucks. I much preferred 9 hours per week in 3 days vice 8 hours per week in 4 days. The extra 100 km per week isn't fun and is just another expense.