Guardian article about Martial Law etc.

fish fingers

I couldn't quite believe what I was reading ..http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/02/thailand-west-get-tough-prayuth-chan-ocha-junta-bangkok

Especially the claim that he meant what he said about executing journalists.. obviously that was a joke ( even if slightly sinister).

Do the left wing press in the UK have any clue about Thai politics? Or has Thaksin successfully infiltrated the Guardian?

I read the article and basically have to agree with it. It's no joke when the person in charge of a Country (I avoid the 'D' word) who has given himself 'godlike' powers threatens to execute anyone who may disagree with or annoy him. Shades of North Korea.

I read the article and basically have to agree with it. It's no joke when the person in charge of a Country (I avoid the 'D' word) who has given himself 'godlike' powers threatens to execute anyone who may disagree with or annoy him. Shades of North Korea.

Yet world leaders and press came by to honor the guy who did pretty much the same in Singapore, taking it from a corrupt backwater to a model for Asian economic development.

Taiwan, S Korea, Singapore, Japan (to some degree)- they all started the same way down the road to economic prosperity.

I'm not saying the General is the guy (way too early to call it), but every successful Asian economy started with a strong man who cleaned things up, (admittedly, making their families rich for generations) and then stepped out of the way.

Edited by impulse

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Political Discussions:

Policy In General Regarding Thailand Election/Political Discussions
As a result of the great increase in posts about politics in Thailand, we are requesting that members keep political discussion confined to threads already open in the Thailand News Forum.
Non-political topics in General which are hijacked with political arguments will see posts removed without further notice.

Members who cannot comply with our request will risk a posting suspension.

And let's not forget NO discussion of the Monarchy in a political context. An immediate ban is possible.

Link to forum rules regarding the Monarchy: Here

Thanks for your understanding and participation on Thaivisa.

Thaivisa moderating team

//Closed//