Price and types of orchids trees in thailand?

Hi!

I want bring orchid trees to europe !

Or Orchid in Boxes!

Looking for dragon orchid , how much this orchid in thailand ?

How long a orchid can survive in a closed box?

Will orchids grow on cold country?

How many diffrent types exists?!

I read some orchids are life dangerous when breeze in , what's there name , maybe also dangerous to touch!

Is there any paper work needed import orchids to eu?

Visit many orchid farm in past in the north very beutiful , but not have any knowledge how many diffrent types realy exists ?

Sandman; For outdoor growing, cold climate will be an obstacle. There are several types of orchids and a few factors to consider. I suggest that you do a little more self-education; there's a lot of information on the Internet. Here's one link:

https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=72

I don't know about the EU, laws and regulations for importing live plants, but you should check on that. Your plants may be confiscated or held in quarantine for a period of time.

Orchids are not trees.

They are epiphytes, that in nature attach themselves to tree limbs and other things with their roots. and get most of their moisture through their foliage.

They will not survive a cold climate.

That is why in non tropical areas they must be grown indoors, or in a greenhouse or "hot house".

I am not sure about the the rules in different EU countries, but countries who value their agriculture, have very strict rules about importing any plants.

This prevents importing haarmful diseases and insects with the plants you want to take home.

Any plants will probably be put into quarantine for a period of time when they first arrive to assure they are "clean".

High maintenance plants, like orchids, will probably not receive the care they need in a long term quarantine situation.

Orchids of many varieties are available for sale in most western countries.

Why not just avoid all of the problems and risks and just purchase the orchids you want there?

I met a guy at Chutachuk markets a few years ago exporting orchids back to Italy .

He had deals with legit orchid growers who could provide the certification to prove the orchids were not removed from the wild but were cultivated - one of the major requirements of CITES. He also had a holding nursery in BKK , plus all the shipping agents AND he had a quarantine nursery back in Italy . I think he told me it had taken him quite a few years to set it all up and find his contacts plus many mistakes in his learning curve - especially with shipping . I would suggest you doing a import/export study first then perhaps study a bit about tissue culture to avoid some of the potential issues that may arrive .

I don't know about Europe but in Oz there are many orchid societies whose members are already importing the rare, the valuable, the interesting, and are developing new varieties all the time . The world of orchids is highly specialized and there are many orchid fanatics that only specialize in a few forms . Be prepared for a lifetime of study (and enjoyment) if you decided to proceed.

Oh Yes i almost forgot to mention about the money tied up in the venture. Need a bit more than pocket money just sitting there in the business.

Edited by xen

I had a friend in Geneva who started growing orchids for fun. The collection increased so fast that he had to employ people to look after them, and ended up making a substantial income out of them.

These of course were epiphytic orchids; the European species grow on the ground.

• 4 months later...