Australian partner (provisional) with wife's child.

My sister in law (thai)has married an Australian and about to apply for partner provisional visa.

She has one son aged 14.

The sons father(thai) has been distant for many years and last contact over two years ago, it will be difficult to track him down.

To avoid any child smuggling we must provide

"Certified copies of documents to verify custody and access arrangements, for children under 18"

We have Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years.

will this for meet the requirements ?

Along with both certificate with mother named?

What else could we do?

I would have thought this was a reasonably common situation, but I couldn't find any other post, I did look.

Thanks for any help

Edited by davoz45

Our situation was different BUT maybe this will help.

My wife (Thai) and I wanted to adopt a little girl, no blood relative, that she had known from birth. Child was being looked after by kindly but frail Aunty. Birth Mother was too busy with a new boyfriend and the natural father who had never seen his daughter lives in another province.

It was decided that it would be simpler for my WIFE to make the adoption application as bringing an aging ferang male into the situation might be too difficult. My wife chased-down the natural father who signed the required papers, as did the birth-mother. Those papers with all others required were submitted. Nothing happened for a couple of months, my wife then came to join me in Australia. Few weeks later, she was requested to front up for an interview @ City Hall in CNX. She flew back , had the interview and was told to come back again in a month. She pointed out that she was now living in Australia. Reply was, "come back in a month."

She did as requested and the Adoption went through without any problems. Meantime, in Australia I applied for the child (soon to be my wife's adopted daughter to be allowed to join us with me as Sponsor.) All paperwork was SPOT-ON and everything went through in a matter of weeks, the Australian Embassy in BKK was very professional and very helpful.

That was all a number of years ago, we now live back in CNX as I have retired. Hope everything works out as well in your Sister In Law's case. Just make sure they get ALL the Paperwork done and done PROPERLY with all required copies, signatures etc.

Cheers!!!