"Quality" Thai Tourists - They certainly got what they asked for

T.A.T. keeps asking for more "Quality" Tourists. It looks like they're coming in ever increasing numbers. Sometimes you get what you ask for, then regret it. A lot.

A few questions are in order:

1. Why does Thailand seem to attract so many emotionally baggage-ridden farang, aka "Quality Tourists ?

2. What is your actual description of a "Quality" Tourist ? We all know what T.A.T's is..

And the Bonus Question of the Morning for the..shall we say..slightly hung over..giggle.gif

How long were you in the LOS when you finally decided to stop making eye contact with ALL Tourists and other Expats?

Not to throw stones from my little Glass House, as I too have been guilty of being a poor "Quality" Tourist, mongering and the like..before I morphed into a happy boring healthier sober younger looking person

I still look straight ahead most of the time, to avoid meeting the potential gaze of a poser, a newbie giggle.gif , someone like me, another expat time share fellow, or a Boiler Room Associate..

GUILTY on all counts, no sugar coating

I live in beautiful Chiang Mai.

My only complaints are : as in all vacation seasons is : 1) When the tourists come, the crappy merchandise comes out in the thousands AND 2)the prices go up terribly AND 3) there is nothing available at a good price for us who live here.

No farang, no satang.

I like it when the tourists are gone, but they are the economy. I love Thailand more from May to mid- November.

• Like 2

I smile and try to say hello to anyone who makes eye contact with me. I do live in a non tourist area but there is a beauty clinic that many Farang women come to . Most are friendly but you do have to remember not everyone speaks English. Do not let the Grinch get you down, stay positive.

• Like 1

I'm a quality tourist. I only barfine soi 33 birds

Good yardstick.... but don't most of the soi 33 bint tend to be retreads?

Not a criticism now but maybe it's a better gauge of your age?

Back on topic, the OP (like myself), cannot consider himself a tourist, quality or otherwise. He's probably a member (like myself) of F.A.R.T.S. or the Farang Association of Resident Thailand Sexpats.

• Like 1

The secret to getting Thai prices is when you ask how much in English and they give you an incredibly high price then start speaking Thai and say "HOW MUCH"

99% of the time then drop the price

Also when they say "You speak Thai" Say no in Thai It usually gets a laugh

• Like 1

I don't know why the definiton is a problem. I know exactly what makes a tourist one of quality--have enough money to be here, abide by the laws, and don't cause problems. Quite frankly, I see few who meet those demanding standards.

Post with derogatory comment removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2

I'm a quality tourist. I only barfine soi 33 birds

I just love a member who has a great imagination, I mean "quality tourist" indeed, he who slums it on Soi 33.....really! 55555555

I just love the members that can't judge the more subtle inferences of the English language without an emoticon to help them.

And then post about it anyway.

And laugh!!!

I lived in Thailand for several years, I'm now in a neighbouring country, not too far away. Back in the old days, when I was younger and rather more naive, I looked at and smiled at just about everyone until our UK 'rules' were exported and entered the equation - "oo ew lookin' at!?!" There was even a song of the same title in the UK mid 90's. The whole world has changed, along with my elder self of course, and I have avoided eye contact with just about anyone for over a decade in any country, not just TL as it seems it too often leads to something unpleasant.

While I'm on the subject - Thai girls, time was they took a joy in smiling and showing their inner beauty. On my twice yearly sojourns to BKK many seem to dress like Looby Loo (Andy Pandy circa 1960's) these days and are so focussed on their mobile phones that they don't have time to smile at any man, young or old. C'est la vie, I had my day is the sun when Thailand was a far more easy going place to live.

All that said, as ever, one man's meat........

• Like 1

Still Breathing Male.......With Money. Who wont bother the busy BIB if he has a jet ski accident , gets robbed buy ladyboys and loves buying gold for his numerous new girlfriends. The perfect tourist.....and he stays in Five star hotels.

We are all quality tourists. Just some are low quality and some are high quality. As for me where I live there is a T/Lotus half a K away and I tend to hide behind the fresh fish counter if a ferlung is sighted. Heard all the BS there is to hear over the years ,don't need more of the same.

• Like 1

I smile and try to say hello to anyone who makes eye contact with me. I do live in a non tourist area but there is a beauty clinic that many Farang women come to . Most are friendly but you do have to remember not everyone speaks English. Do not let the Grinch get you down, stay positive.

I have seen two farang in my local town in the last 16 months. One scruffy one on a motor bike waved at me a few months ago as he went past. Saw another one in a a local ice-cream / cafe place last week and when we left, my wife told me his nationality, what school his g/f taught at, how long he is here for and how old they both were. Farangs are so rare here that everyone probably knows everything about me too! (Warning to behave myself here or wife will know about it before I get home.)

• Like 1

The secret to getting Thai prices is when you ask how much in English and they give you an incredibly high price then start speaking Thai and say "HOW MUCH"

99% of the time then drop the price

Also when they say "You speak Thai" Say no in Thai It usually gets a laugh

Yes, that works well. I must be (nearly) the only Farang in our town. I always say "Kee nok Farang , poot Thai mai dai." and always get a good laugh and great service every time I enter the shop after that. Thais really appreciate something amusing & contradictory like that. It tickles their funnybone. In small town Thailand I think dual-pricing rarely or hardly even exists.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

1. Probably perceived lower costs, brochure beaches/forests, of for the single guys the easy to find 'company'.

2. Anyone who provides a net benefit to the country (i.e. drops all their savings at the door, doesn't cause hassle, then leaves).

Bonus Q: I look at the ground all the time, but not to avoid eye contact, it's to avoid falling down a hole in the 'sidewalk' or being garotted by low hanging power cables. I do still give the nod to any foreigners I pass while on foot though. I do it with a lot of locals as well (probably a bit too subservient), since I don't immediately recognise hierarchy without having to think it through, so I'm bowing Japanese style to everyone I shuffle past. Actually I think I behave much more polite than most locals and many foreigners - can't get a thankyou out of the average shop assistant, where as it trips right out of my mouth without thinking.

How long were you in the LOS when you finally decided to stop making eye contact with ALL Tourists and other Expats?

Starting from the meal service on the flight in.

"Quality" Thai Tourists

I think you mean "Quality" foreign tourists in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69

Oh sh** I forget to answer the OP... maybe here is something to complain about.... I have been here now for seven years and I still love to behave like a proper human being,,, saying hallo to people I meet. And as Cosras said, I love to see their scared reaction, and than turn to his wife, who always seems to be well raised, and smile back at her...

Why is it like that.. the falang he play his game, and pretend to be an experienced falang here in Thailand, and experienced falang shall not greet any other falang when they meet, only newbies do that.

I think that is one of the most stupides comments I have ever heard.....These people are boring and do not contribute to anything anymore.....

Good night guys.... Just drink life is over so why care about anything anymore........

Glegolo