Tips and warnings on building a house in Sis a Ket area

GoNavy

I will be building a Thai designed house on 2 Rai of land in a small [2500 pop] community near SIs a Ket. My friend's family is quite helpful in contracting materials, grooming of land and labor. It is my inquiry on specail things I should be aware of such as septic tanks, water towers, permits needed or even a needed house designer in the area. Anyone have experience in this area.

Presently have land cleared, 74 truck loads of landfill, water and electric to the property. Building a retaining wall to prevent landfill loss to street. Plan construction this December. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will be going up in June to check on progress and inquire more. Thanks,

Go Navy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one point, pay as the house is built. If possible pay so much after an agreed amount is built. For my house, I paid 20% after the foundations were in. I think 40% after the roof was on and 40% on completion. That way the builder won't take off with a bunch of cash in his pocket and no work done. I know three people who had this happen to them. For one it was his wife's family doing the work, so don't feel safe even if it's family or a friend doing the work. If the builder can't finance it in advance, buy the materials ahead of time, then when they are used, pay for the labour and buy new materials. Protect yourself. It's no different than in your home country, except most home countries, have laws that will protect you and are enforced, not so much here.

Edited by Issangeorge

Have you googled thai house plans? There are like 20 prestamped plans for free. Its something like plans.crossy.uk.

Buy materials yourself save markup. Pay labor by the week. Trust no one. No good deed goes unpunished in Thailand. Thing you may need to teach family labor are;

Pluming should be vented.

Electricity is 3 wires not 2

Tiles go down in grooved thinset, not tap tapped in mortar.

Toilet use a wax ring and anchor bolts not mortar.

Insulation, whats that?

Every light one its own switch.

Whole house on a single 60 amp breaker.

The list is endless. Safety Last.

Don't get me started the list is endless.

Navy

Will research when on my pc. On my iphone now, dont think you can from phone.

After the home is built, take a drive toward Ubon. Stop just before the ring road in Warin. There is a 4 story furniture store. TSF. Only place for hours with truely quality furniture. Dont buy a rock hard thai matress, you will hate every morning. Bought a Sealy Posturepedic Presidential king a couple of years ago. 38,000baht but happy about the purchase every morning. They deliver. I live just the other side of the ring road. Retired USAF. Will run some attachment tests on this thread tomorrow

Just wondering...are all these requirements in english? Or do you have them translated?

Does both the husband and wife sign...or just the wife?

Probably signed by the legal owner (Nuff said)

If I could continue list.....

Have P/S traps in plumbing to stop smells& bugs

More than one electric point per room.

Dedicated & correct cables between fuse box & each Electric shower.

Electric showers should be earth bonded.

Exterior lighting.

Toilets are designed to go against a wall!

Edited by DILLIGAD

Thanks for the suggestions and reminders. Will be keeping them in a file to refer to as we go along. Am wondering if I should have an architect with plans of my model as a steady hand? I will definitely need a check-off list for sure. I know even in the west building a house can be a nightmare.

how about making sure they have a measuring tape,spirit level,more than 1 paint brush,windows that fit into the frames,the same with doors that fit the frames without the gaps so that snakes and rats cannot visitw00t.gif

[no i dont mean the wifes family] as for tiling and grouting its done at the same time.[quick drying].

and make sure you show them a tin of primer and tell them what its for.

oh i need a pint.[NO DRINKING ON THE JOB]

Some areas of Sisaket are prone to serious flooding - check it out with neighbours.

Very good advice. If your are sceptical, speak to member LostinIsaan!!!! Think he's still got his water wings on!

Let's see. Yep, we own a high speed boat now, some rescue rings, plastic ducks and the usual gear. There're are some ares that are always flooded and new man made areas that get flooded.

Water always finds its way..attached photos were made by me about 18 months ago. The pink house was the one we lived in...facepalm.gif

post-158336-0-12145800-1428466460_thumb.

post-158336-0-37643800-1428466466_thumb.

post-158336-0-52917900-1428466471_thumb.

post-158336-0-64436100-1428466475_thumb.

post-158336-0-58531300-1428466484_thumb.

post-158336-0-23972100-1428466491_thumb.

post-158336-0-54943100-1428466497_thumb.

post-158336-0-72006800-1428466503_thumb.

post-158336-0-19934900-1428466511_thumb.

post-158336-0-96992500-1428466582_thumb.

post-158336-0-82586500-1428466588_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thanks for the tutorial on this attachment. I had to click 'more quotes' for the attachment tab to appear. I don't see it as I type this, hope it appears.

This is the model I will build from. Landfill of 140 large truck loads on house site, then it will be on stilts about a 1/2 a story. Hope that will cover any flooding issues. May need a boat to get to it, but hopefully the floors will be dry.

post-205958-0-16298100-1428469881_thumb.

With regards to the construction I would recommend one of 2 options:

A) hire all workers directly and you manage the construction yourself.

B) hire a construction manager or company to do the work

Either way buy all material yourself. Construction companies tend to make most money from the material and often use low quality material to optimize their profits. If you buy material yourself it's cheaper and better quality. Also option a) is usually a lot cheaper. The only downside is that you have to find workers yourself but really isn't a problem here in Thailand. Price difference between option a and b is usually a lot so if you have time managing it yourself definitely hire workers yourself.

Hope that helps.

With regards to the construction I would recommend one of 2 options:

A) hire all workers directly and you manage the construction yourself.

cool.png hire a construction manager or company to do the work

Either way buy all material yourself. Construction companies tend to make most money from the material and often use low quality material to optimize their profits. If you buy material yourself it's cheaper and better quality. Also option a) is usually a lot cheaper. The only downside is that you have to find workers yourself but really isn't a problem here in Thailand. Price difference between option a and b is usually a lot so if you have time managing it yourself definitely hire workers yourself.

Hope that helps.

As of now the person I'm building with is up there. Knows a home builder who built a Thai house across the street from family home. Also, he bought the wood directly which will be cut and cured over the summer for a December construction. I am going up in June to check around with supplies, plans of building and the status of the site. My question to the builder would be his expertise, but I'm told he has built homes in the neighborhood.

From the photo, the only closed portion of the house will be the 2 bedroom, 1 bath section which will house the electronics etc.

The center living will be an open pole building style with atrium and large ceiling fans coming down with a side kitchen in the lean to portion on the side. An open Gazebo style patio/relaxation are in the front. Will build a squat style toilet on the outside of house. Will have to discuss with my friend the idea of asking home builder on plumbing etc or higher separate. It sounds like separate contractors for that. Will make sure I have enough electric outlets. Also took note of advice on plumbing for sewer gas. Will have a drain in bath floor for cleaning. I am expecting that a septic tank will be necessary for all, including grey water. I don't want that draining under the house, other then floor washing water.

Great if 1) your able physically/mentally & geographically to manage this type of project.

2) are fluent in Thai including phrases & words pertaining to the building trade.

Edited by DILLIGAD

Great if 1) your able physically/mentally & geographically to manage this type of project.

2) are fluent in Thai including phrases & words pertaining to the building trade.

Plus the ability to differentiate between point one and point two.

What was that "squat style toilet on the outside of house" all about?

Isn't that the usual style in the rural areas? When I went there to visit that is what the Thai homes had when visiting. So, my friend says that rather then let them go into the house for toilet, they would be more comfortable with one they were use to. It was insisted. Is there something wrong with that? That is what I call it if the terminology is not correct, what is it?

How do you copy and paste a photo in this format? I copied......then pasted the photo... It shows, then I post and it does NOT appear in the posted message. rolleyes.gif

There are 2 different places to click. Add a photo and another to post. It's a trick.

Isn't that the usual style in the rural areas? When I went there to visit that is what the Thai homes had when visiting. So, my friend says that rather then let them go into the house for toilet, they would be more comfortable with one they were use to. It was insisted. Is there something wrong with that? That is what I call it if the terminology is not correct, what is it?

The squat type toilet has. (Finally) been recognised by the Thai Govt as being more unsafe for elderly and frail users. They reported about a year ago that they would replace them in public building with western style Toilets. They are only a problem if users refrain from trying to stand on the rims to do their business.

hole for the bogbah.gif and the rest of the garden for the rubish,bits of tiles,unused cement,cement bags,food containers,plastic bags,pampers[used] st'sbah.gif and what is done before the bog is dugbah.gif have i missed anything?