Landlord from hell - urgent!

First come down and stop ranting like a little girl.

Legally she can not throw you out with warning letters, locking you out is illegal.

Secondly ask her if she has paid tax for rental income , rest assured it will wake her up.

Thirdly call Consumer protection board and ask for their help, just do not rant like now. State facts in point form.

Good luck

You seem to have let yourself fall behind the 8 ball here. By that I mean that the deposit is usually 2 months rent. You should have seen this coming and moved out 2 months before end of contract.

It is not the right way but it is safer for you.

I don't know why you are having trouble finding a new place. Finding a decent place is very easy in Thailand.

Also it seems you are intimadated by her.

Just get out of there and be done with it.

If you want any assistance with accomodation PM me and I might be able to help you.

Common sense says his rent is overdue and the land lord wanted another one year lease but was too nice and extended him 30 days twice big mistake.

8 days is hardly overdue, and again for the slow ones, if she wants yearly contract issue 30 days notice and look for whatever she likes.

Issuing late payment warning sounds like she has a farang boyfriend advisor without a single clue , it's not a job nor letters of demand especially when she holds 2 months deposit and left tenant without basic nessecity such as water for 2 weeks.

Edited by konying

Legally she can not throw you out with warning letters, locking you out is illegal.

Secondly ask her if she has paid tax for rental income , rest assured it will wake her up.

Thirdly call Consumer protection board and ask for their help, just do not rant like now. State facts in point form.

Good luck

dude , no rent money no place to live, the deposite is not rent, and yes you do sound like a little high school girl. deposite is returned after the cost of any damages repaired if any. the deposite cannot be applied to the rent because you want it to be, it is not your money it is esscro money you agreed she would hold. the descision to do that is up to her. i suggest you top whining, say sorry for your misstake, and give her the rent, and do it quickly before you are accused of attempted theft, and for sure you will be, it is the same here as everywhere else :-)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe this will be a lesson for all you renters!......If you can't afford to buy your own little pad......go back wherever you came from. This is not a renters paradise. Most landlords blow your deposit the day after you give it, and they have no intentions of returning your money in any way or fashion.

There are just to many reasons landlords can make up to prevent a return of funds. This is another unwritten scam to be

a-where of before you sign on the dotted line.

If that's you in your avatar, you probably haven't rented since the Cuban missile crisis so I think the OP can discount your "advice"

Now off you go to have your tyres Vulcanized

Just be honest with yourself. When you was waiting for the lazy landlady to repair the leaky pipe you were turning the stop cock on and off for showers and washing clothes and dishes etc. This made a constant pool of water and as you have to use your nice bath towels each time it was easier to leave the pool of water which knackered her fake wood floor.

Shell up and move.

• Like 1

Maybe this will be a lesson for all you renters!......If you can't afford to buy your own little pad......go back wherever you came from. This is not a renters paradise. Most landlords blow your deposit the day after you give it, and they have no intentions of returning your money in any way or fashion.

There are just to many reasons landlords can make up to prevent a return of funds. This is another unwritten scam to be

Many renters rent because they don't want to gamble on Thai real estate. A rental is the easiest way to get away from a bad environment and not be trapped with an asset that is not liquid.

I think we can be sure as to why most rent and dont buy and its not because they dont want to drop 7 mill bht on a nice pad but rather they dont even have 7 bht left before pension day. lets be realistic eh..

The amount of farang that are wealthy and choose to keep their 7-10 mill in the bank with zero interest whilst forking out 30,000bht dead money every month for rent would be nearly zero, most are not that stupid !!

Stop behaving like a big girl.

If you are having problems about the deposit, wait until you are ready to leave.

Sit down like an adult dicuss the problem rationaly, if it cannot be sorted, get a lawyer.

I w ant to go !! no i want to stay again and again, and you expect the landlord just to go along!!

Hello you sound like a bloody prima doner (mummies boy).

You are the one in the wrong, sort it.

How is he behaving like a big girl? How is he in the wrong? He had no water for 2 weeks because of a problem the landlord is responsible for.

Why not engage your brain before you run your mouth?

OP, ignore the self-righteous planks telling you that you're the problem; they probably hate the fact that you can afford to pay 30K a month in rent.

Expect some idiot to be along shortly questioning your visa status - sorry but that's what these people are like

To your problem:

Without a shadow of a doubt, your landlord knows she's taking the piss. This wouldn't be happening if you were Thai; she thinks she can get away with it because you're just a farang without connections so you MUST be prepared to play for keeps.

Gather evidence of the rent payments you've made over the term of the tenancy and threaten to bring the revenue service into her life.

Conciliatory dialogue SHOULD follow

Well said CH.

I just got through the first few posts and couldn't believe some of those replies.

If what the OP says is true [and i tend to believe him] this is blatant case of an attempted money grab. The landlord is nothing but a thieving ****.

OP, fight tooth and nail to get your deposit back. Don't give up without a fight.

Unfortunately this is one aspect I loathe about this country when becoming a tenant. There should be some sort of Bond Board where the money is held and a mediator introduced over any dispute. This is a clear case of the tenant not being negligent one iota.

• Like 1

One good reason to own your own condo. The deposit thingy will ALWAYS be a possible problem here so moving out may just create more problems again with your new landlord

If it were me I would point blank tell her no moving out until deposit returned. If she threatens you or her boyfriend turns up at your door...go to the police station and file a report and give her a copy of it.

Best of luck your going to need it

One good reason to own your own condo? Not worry about a deposit? There are so many other problems associated with owning anything in LOS that not getting a deposit back is irrelevent.

I can guarantee that if you go to the police station and file a complaint, absolutely nothing will be done. No money in it for them.

The first time you step out of this place she'll have your stuff in the street.

Move along, it's never worth it. Deposits are rarely returned in Thailand.

• Like 1

I think we can be sure as to why most rent and dont buy and its not because they dont want to drop 7 mill bht on a nice pad but rather they dont even have 7 bht left before pension day. lets be realistic eh..

The amount of farang that are wealthy and choose to keep their 7-10 mill in the bank with zero interest whilst forking out 30,000bht dead money every month for rent would be nearly zero, most are not that stupid !!

Oh here we go. Another "I'm-considerably-richer-than-you" exchange rate multi-millionaire.

So wealthy, he had to move to Thailand

Banks aren't the only place to keep 7-10 million baht, Sherlock

Heard of stocks, precious metals, bonds?

Only an idiot would deem real estate to be the only game in town particularly when there's a glut in supply

Renting is cheap and highly convenient plus repairs/maintenance on what are often poorly-built condos are the responsibility of the owner.

One good reason to own your own condo. The deposit thingy will ALWAYS be a possible problem here so moving out may just create more problems again with your new landlord

If it were me I would point blank tell her no moving out until deposit returned. If she threatens you or her boyfriend turns up at your door...go to the police station and file a report and give her a copy of it.

One good reason to own your own condo? Not worry about a deposit? There are so many other problems associated with owning anything in LOS that not getting a deposit back is irrelevent.

I can guarantee that if you go to the police station and file a complaint, absolutely nothing will be done. No money in it for them.

Rubbish

7 years, 3 tenancies, every shekel of deposit returned - no quibble, no nonsense

If some people choose to bend over a barrel and part their buttocks over deposits, that's up to them but one could surmise that's been their approach to everything in life.

Better to stick to your guns and fight.

Even if you lose the money, the douche-bag landlord's victory will be distinctly pyrrhic.

I can guarantee that if you go to the police station and file a complaint, absolutely nothing will be done. No moneyarrow-10x10.png in it for them.

Rubbish

7 years, 3 tenancies, every shekel of deposit returned - no quibble, no nonsense

If some people choose to bend over a barrel and part their buttocks over deposits, that's up to them but one could surmise that's been their approach to everything in life.

Better to stick to your guns and fight.

Even if you lose the money, the douche-bag landlord's victory will be distinctly pyrrhic.

I just finished a 5 yr lease on a building. Not only was the deposit returned in full. So was the money I had spent having electricity cables brought to the building. This was retuned by the landlady (her suggestion)

There was no arguing or awkwardness she was simply fair and so was I.

Many renters rent because they don't want to gamble on Thai real estate. A rental is the easiest way to get away from a bad environment and not be trapped with an asset that is not liquid.

A faring would be stupid if he kept 10,000,000bt in a bank paying less interest that inflation.

However, someone with 10 mil cash would probably be smart enough to have it invested. Parked that money in the SP500 US stock market index the last 6 years, that account would be worth 20,500,000bt + today

So the last 6 years rent at 30,000bt /month, you would only have paid 2,160,000bt in rent and have 18 mil in the bank now.

The person that bought a 10 mil condo would have a 10 mil condo today + condo fees and a very difficult asset to liquidate....in Thailand...

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

Oh here we go. Another "I'm-considerably-richer-than-you" exchange rate multi-millionaire.

Only an idiot would deem real estate to be the only game in town particularly when there's a glut in supply

Renting is cheap and highly convenient plus repairs/maintenance on what are often poorly-built condos are the responsibility of the owner.

"Heard of stocks, precious metals, bonds?"

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-

You err trade the market...Another Thai vise stockmarket god lol , good lord if I had a dollar for every one that claimed they were a trader in Thailand I could afford to rent a penthouse and keep my cash in zero ineterst

Edited by mcfish

Despite not paying rent you also seem to be unwilling to sign another contract, and expect her to tolerate you there without a signed and valid agreement.

She has 45days to return the deposit from the end of the contract but she may well feel that period does not start until you get out.

Getting deposits back here can be difficult, but your money problems are not hers.

There is no rule, law or common practice to sign new contract after initial one is expired.

Once contract has expired it becomes month by month basis and 30 days notice required from both parties in case of vacating

If you were renting from me there would be.

Sure, I might be flexible to an extra month, but I would want deposit, and termination periods as stated in contract and signed.

The rental agreed upon was for a 12 month agreement, the amount would be different for a casual month by month approach, and I may want to change the rent for a renewed contract too..

Edited by jacko45k

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Heard of stocks, precious metals, bonds?"

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-

You err trade the market...Another Thai vise stockmarket god lol , good lord if I had a dollar for every one that claimed they were a trader in Thailand I could afford to rent a penthouse and keep my cash in zero ineterst

Yeah because the only way to make money on the stock market is to be a daytrader, right??

Why not come back when you actually know what you're talking about, that is if the management of your Hamptons or Mayfair portfolio allows of course

• Like 2

I owned 3 houses and rented out all of them. I can tell you this, you definitely will not get a deposit back.

Here is why...

Most people fail to do joint inspections, or just blindly sign a document that all was in good working order. That means, that, now that she is pissed off, she will be adding up every scratch, scrape, cracked tile, moldy bathroom floor, dirty stove, etc. She will take photos, and get professional cost estimates for repairs. The total will equal your deposit...and probably go over that, for good measure.

I can bet you missed several items in need of repair, before you moved in.

Your deposit is way gone. Get out, if you can, forget any last rent.... Let her fight you in court for that (she will probably be satisfied with your deposit). Next time, get a camera and itemize all damages...before you move in. Also send out registered letters demanding repairs and document on those the time it took for a repair crew to get there, and the amount of damage caused by the delay. You will just be talking.

If it makes you feel better, throw some stuff down the toilets, flush, and then open the back so that when it fills with water, it never stops.

(ONLY kidding on that)

Edited by slipperylobster

You seem to have let yourself fall behind the 8 ball here. By that I mean that the deposit is usually 2 months rent. You should have seen this coming and moved out 2 months before end of contract.

It is not the right way but it is safer for you.

I don't know why you are having trouble finding a new place. Finding a decent place is very easy in Thailand.

Also it seems you are intimadated by her.

Just get out of there and be done with it.

If you want any assistance with accomodation PM me and I might be able to help you.

please think twice about your offer , i understand it is the christian" thing to help out, but...........and.........and........:-)

In the contract your responsible for the filter system....if it leaks its on you the damage too, she was kind enough to fix or replace least you could do is repair the floor.

Just casue your white and living in a foreign country all your getting is agreement here from your own kind but clearly most have overlooked the very fact you were responsible for that filter end of story, if it was an apartment your god dam lucky it didnt leak all over the guy below you.

She has a water leak & sent the maintenance guy 2 days later.

Nuff said.

I suppose some people just have to rent cos they can't take responsibility for stuff or because they can't organise an urgent repair and pass on the very cheap repair invoice.

I'm glad I'm not renting anything to you or the OP.

Nuff said.

In the contract your responsible for the filter system....if it leaks its on you the damage too, she was kind enough to fix or replace least you could do is repair the floor.

Just casue your white and living in a foreign country all your getting is agreement here from your own kind but clearly most have overlooked the very fact you were responsible for that filter end of story, if it was an apartment your god dam lucky it didnt leak all over the guy below you.

Why would the tenant be responsible for the water filter that the landlord installed as part of the pipes and plumbing?

You have never owned a property and rented it out have you?

• Like 1

Good luck

dude , no rent money no place to live, the deposite is not rent, and yes you do sound like a little high school girl. deposite is returned after the cost of any damages repaired if any. the deposite cannot be applied to the rent because you want it to be, it is not your money it is esscro money you agreed she would hold. the descision to do that is up to her. i suggest you top whining, say sorry for your misstake, and give her the rent, and do it quickly before you are accused of attempted theft, and for sure you will be, it is the same here as everywhere else :-)

Dude, let me explain something to you, if you were to leave your tenant without water and tenant had the balls, you would be paying for his hotel accommodation.

OP, never said he did not have the money, AGAIN 8 days is hardly a world disaster and if anything should be given rent free for at least 2 weeks due to inconvenience caused.

Deposit is exactly that a bond for non payment of rent and damages. Money is NOT in escrow account, you should learn a little about Thailand, Money is in her personal account with no security or interest unlike many other developed countries.

Scamming renters is NOT new thing to Thailand, and charging for wear and tear, including any damages even the ones caused not my tenant is also a norm.

Why? because most people like yourself and a large number on this thread, do not have a clue, so a landlord can get away with it.

Should one of those landlords come across someone with a clue, they quickly change their attitude, manner and behavior and if they do not, they can find themselves locked up or paying ridiculous amount of money to lawyers, accountants and revenue department.

• Like 2

He also admits to having no money which makes people desperate and exaggerate any situation. .

Keep that in mind. She can find your Company and boss rather easily it sounds.

1) she is the one with money problems. she admitted in our last conversation that she is desperate because of loans. i don't have money problems. i just get paid in the middle of each month, so paying by today just is not possible, if i were to pay.

2) she knows my company because i (or my colleagues) give her contracts. she also openly trash talks her own boss to me (or did, via FB and LINE). however, i wouldn't get down and dirty like that to ruin her lie. i'm not a bad person. i just want my deposit back.

You DO have money problems, the rent has to be paid in advance not in the middle of the week.

• Like 1

Good luck

Dude, let me explain something to you, if you were to leave your tenant without water and tenant had the balls, you would be paying for his hotel accommodation.

OP, never said he did not have the money, AGAIN 8 days is hardly a world disaster and if anything should be given rent free for at least 2 weeks due to inconvenience caused.

Deposit is exactly that a bond for non payment of rent and damages. Money is NOT in escrow account, you should learn a little about Thailand, Money is in her personal account with no security or interest unlike many other developed countries.

Scamming renters is NOT new thing to Thailand, and charging for wear and tear, including any damages even the ones caused not my tenant is also a norm.

Why? because most people like yourself and a large number on this thread, do not have a clue, so a landlord can get away with it.

Should one of those landlords come across someone with a clue, they quickly change their attitude, manner and behavior and if they do not, they can find themselves locked up or paying ridiculous amount of money to lawyers, accountants and revenue department.

You are the one who hasn't got a clue, you can't use your deposit to pay for rent. The fact that a lot of people do this doesn't make it legal.