notary public

swbaggies

Tasks carried out by a notary public in the West are carried out by just lawyers in Thailand.

By the way this makes a nice side line for lawyers, the customer pays a lot just for the stamp+signature.

Example: I once translated a document from Thai into German myself, and then went to a lawyer who spent 10 seconds signing and stamping it , and that made it into a certified translation fit for consumption by German bureaucracy.

Beware - some Financial Institutions do not accept documents notarised by Thai Lawyers. I paid 3000 baht to a reputable law firm in Pattaya as proof of my identity and address, only to be told by Fidelity that they only accept documents verified by the British Embassy. I don't know if this is racism or a comment on the reputation of Thai lawyers in the financial world.

Beware - some Financial Institutions do not accept documents notarised by Thai Lawyers. I paid 3000 baht to a reputable law firm in Pattaya as proof of my identity and address, only to be told by Fidelity that they only accept documents verified by the British Embassy. I don't know if this is racism or a comment on the reputation of Thai lawyers in the financial world.

Some US financial institutions require a Medallion Signature Guarantee in order to setup certain transactions. This is not the same as a notary public stamp, and as far as I know, cannot be obtained anywhere in Thailand. For certain, the US embassy or consulate cannot provide a Medallion Signature Guarantee.

While researching some options for transferring money to Thailand, I found that Fidelity requires the Medallion Signature Guarantee to setup certain ongoing transactions if you do not appear in person at a Fidelity financial center.

I can confirm the above. I have had to have things notarized twice for a parents estate settlement in the states. I confirmed with the organization in the states first if they would accept a Thai notary, and they did. Confirm this before seeing a Thai notary. You may need to go to your embassy.

You must find a Thai attorney that is a "Notarial Services Attorney." The ones I visited in Phuket wanted to take 2 days to complete it, so if you need it done in one visit, call first to make sure the attorney is in and is willing to do it on the spot.

notaryStamp.448x176.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1