Watch out! A motorcycle on the road!

KwaiPalma

I have noticed that there are many people driving motorcycle in Thailand, which back red light is not working or just missing. it´s not necessary to mention how dangerous that is. My doubt is: Is it so difficult or expensive to fix a motorcycle´s light?

Edited by seedy
punctuation

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A faulty tail light is not an issue when they travel on the wrong side of the road.

Unless of course, you're travelling behind them. coffee1.gif

I see. I knew there had to be a logical explanation¡¡¡. rolleyes.gif

Edited by KwaiPalma

Yup its dangerous and stupid. To answer your question, no it is really cheap to fix a light. A bulb will set you back at like 15. Baht

But you forgot about the running costs....generating those extra 6W to power the bulb causes the engine to use more fuel. Costs a fortune over the life of the bike.

That's what I was told by a bike rider without lights!

No what is frightening is this is often intentional. Many on motorcycles here have disconnect switches for their backlighsts and HEADLIGHTS. They ride around at night with no lights. Maybe a plan for illegal activiity or thinking it is cool.

No what is frightening is this is often intentional. Many on motorcycles here have disconnect switches for their backlighsts and HEADLIGHTS. They ride around at night with no lights. Maybe a plan for illegal activiity or thinking it is cool.

Yes. They turn off the lights when driving down the wrong side of the road. Don't want to be seen.blink.png

OP you forgot the old battered pick up trucks also without lights.

This is Thailand,

(DELETED)

why not change the rules and make it better?

2 days before i was just millimeter for crash with a motobike without lights,

This is Thailand , but its possible to make it better, for sure!!!!!

If you look in the streets how the Thaipeople driving , maybe they get the license in a cornflakes package.

And many of the drivers in Thailand DONT have a license!

And many of the Farang when they comes to Thailand , leave the brain at home!

Make it better and save life, that is the correct answer!

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

This is Thailand,

If you look in the streets how the Thaipeople driving , maybe they get the license in a cornflakes package.

I do agree with that, things can be done better. But the point is, how to do it? how to convince drivers to do the right thing? how to convicen them that they´re not driving alone on the roads? It seems to be a complicate goal, I guess.sad.png

This is Thailand,

the Thais are not going to change for you, you must change for them

Yes. They turn off the lights when driving down the wrong side of the road. Don't want to be seen.blink.png

Would have to be an old bike for them to be able to switch them off. No on/off switch on bikes for a long time, permanently on these days.

MOVED to Motorbike forum

I bought a second hand Honda motorbike and it turns out to be Chinese made. The back light, the side lights and the horn are not working and I can't find the spare parts. Everywhere I go they say the parts are not available. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the parts in the South of Thailand? It has an electrical problem. Help needed.

MOVED to Motorbike forum

I bought a second hand Honda motorbike and it turns out to be Chinese made. The back light, the side lights and the horn are not working and I can't find the spare parts. Everywhere I go they say the parts are not available. Does anyone have an idea where I can buy the parts in the South of Thailand? It has an electrical problem. Help needed.

Are you taking it to main dealers or back street workshops? Am sure a back street place would sort it out. Would not be standard spares but would get it all working.

Thais are very suspicious and they make their rear lights inoperative to prevent ghosts from following them home, true!

I think perhaps you meant 'superstitious' - not suspicious. But then again you could be partially right ;-)

Yup its dangerous and stupid. To answer your question, no it is really cheap to fix a light. A bulb will set you back at like 15. Baht

But you forgot about the running costs....generating those extra 6W to power the bulb causes the engine to use more fuel. Costs a fortune over the life of the bike.

That's what I was told by a bike rider without lights!

The sarcasm around here gets drier everyday ... 'Got to be careful though - there are some that'll actually take stuff like that seriously. It could start a whole new green movement. "Save the planet; turn off your bike lights!"

This is Thailand,

So many on here seem to want Thailand to 'change for the better' or 'do things differently'. The inference being of course that Thailand should do things, and be the same as the western countries that most of these critics originate from.

It baffles me why, if these people are so discontented by the way Thailand is, and prefer the way things are done in their home countries, that they left their own countries in the first place.. I like Thailand because it is what it is, and glad to escape from the 'nanny state' culture, and political correctness of the west. I do not wish to see it slowly have it's character (be it bad or good), chipped away at until it eventually becomes just another 'westernised' country.

If I'd wanted to live in a country where road travel was uber safe, I would think that either Sweden where everyone drives Volvos. or America with its ridiculously low speed limits would be a much better choice than Thailand.

Hmmn afterthought - maybe America not such a good idea - commit a traffic offence there and it seems you are quite likely to get shot by the police, especially if your skin is of a darker tone - think I'd rather pay a backhander to a smiling Thai traffic cop any day!

This is Thailand,

So many on here seem to want Thailand to 'change for the better' or 'do things differently'. The inference being of course that Thailand should do things, and be the same as the western countries that most of these critics originate from.

It baffles me why, if these people are so discontented by the way Thailand is, and prefer the way things are done in their home countries, that they left their own countries in the first place.. I like Thailand because it is what it is, and glad to escape from the 'nanny state' culture, and political correctness of the west. I do not wish to see it slowly have it's character (be it bad or good), chipped away at until it eventually becomes just another 'westernised' country.

If I'd wanted to live in a country where road travel was uber safe, I would think that either Sweden where everyone drives Volvos. or America with its ridiculously low speed limits would be a much better choice than Thailand.

Hmmn afterthought - maybe America not such a good idea - commit a traffic offence there and it seems you are quite likely to get shot by the police, especially if your skin is of a darker tone - think I'd rather pay a backhander to a smiling Thai traffic cop any day!

One word. Delusional.

Edited by seedy
duplicate post

If turning the lights on consumes more fuel, am i right that a bike goes faster when lights off? That would be a big issue for many young thai men.

Your thinking is correct. Would be more or less unnoticeable. Possibly mention to the lads that shaving their heads and wearing lycra would reduce drag and increase speed as well. Waiting to see some interesting pics of said speed kings.

If turning the lights on consumes more fuel, am i right that a bike goes faster when lights off? That would be a big issue for many young thai men.

Your thinking is correct. Would be more or less unnoticeable. Possibly mention to the lads that shaving their heads and wearing lycra would reduce drag and increase speed as well. Waiting to see some interesting pics of said speed kings.

"Young men in Lycra with shaved heads", you just said that out loud alan r chase??? Try to be discrete old chap..neus.gif

When I stopped at the traffic light with my car at night, I warned a motorcycle driver next to me that he is driving without lights. His answer was: "Don't worry Mister, I can see everything!"

NOTHING TO ADD!