Watch out! A motorcycle on the road!

KwaiPalma

When I stopped at the traffic light with my car at night, I warned a motorcycle driver next to me that he is driving without lights. His answer was: "Don't worry Mister, I can see everything!"

NOTHING TO ADD!

Bit like that out here. From what I can fathom out where I live the only reason to wear a helmet is to avoid a fine. Safety takes a back seat. That said think the safety side of it is catching on but very slowly. Helmet law 15+ years old now?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, compared with riding down the wrong side of the highway, 3 up with no crash helmets and the driver using a mobile phone. Riding with no tail light sounds pretty trite stuff to me.

Yup its dangerous and stupid. To answer your question, no it is really cheap to fix a light. A bulb will set you back at like 15. Baht

But you forgot about the running costs....generating those extra 6W to power the bulb causes the engine to use more fuel. Costs a fortune over the life of the bike.

That's what I was told by a bike rider without lights!

The sarcasm around here gets drier everyday ... 'Got to be careful though - there are some that'll actually take stuff like that seriously. It could start a whole new green movement. "Save the planet; turn off your bike lights!"

That wasn't sarcasm.

Part of the problem, and maybe the biggest part, is that most small bikes these days have "daylight running' headlights, i. e. the headlight is on all the time when the ignition is on, but the rear light is off.

The rider starts the bike in the dark and the headlight comes on, so without thinking they set off without switching the lights on.

I know, I've done it myself, and I've watched my wife and daughter do it many times!

Edited by billrose

Part of the problem, and maybe the biggest part, is that most small bikes these days have "daylight running' headlights, i. e. the headlight is on all the time when the ignition is on, but the rear light is off.

The rider starts the bike in the dark and the headlight comes on, so without thinking they set off without switching the lights on.

I know, I've done it myself!

Both rear and front lights come on. Can only talk for Honda, no on/off switch for lights for a long time, always on. People never check rear light and only notice front is out at night. Unfortunately a duff light is not considered a problem and as previous posters have stated no lights makes you a man.

ShadyChris. In principle, I do agree mostly with what your saying, but no matter what country you are living in, you are entitled to be safe, and if those retards who ride their bikes up the pavement risking injury to myself, or riding their bikes on the wrong side of the road does not annoy you, maybe you would not think the same way if one of your children or family were injured or killed by them.

ShadyChris. In principle, I do agree mostly with what your saying, but no matter what country you are living in, you are entitled to be safe, and if those retards who ride their bikes up the pavement risking injury to myself, or riding their bikes on the wrong side of the road does not annoy you, maybe you would not think the same way if one of your children or family were injured or killed by them.

Totally get what you say. Unfortunately life here is not seen the same way. Sad thing in a way is to either accept their different view or consider elsewhere. It will not change very quickly. Your choice.

If you come up on a Thai on a motorbike after dark and he has a license plate on his motorbike that reflects as good as a taillight, you can see there is something in front of you. But if he has no plate that is different. I've seen it many times, that big ole license plate glowing in my headlights.

"So many on here seem to want Thailand to 'change for the better' or 'do things differently'. The inference being of course that Thailand should do things, and be the same as the western countries that most of these critics originate from.

It baffles me why, if these people are so discontented by the way Thailand is, and prefer the way things are done in their home countries, that they left their own countries in the first place.. I like Thailand because it is what it is, and glad to escape from the 'nanny state' culture, and political correctness of the west. I do not wish to see it slowly have it's character (be it bad or good), chipped away at until it eventually becomes just another 'westernised' country.

If I'd wanted to live in a country where road travel was uber safe, I would think that either Sweden where everyone drives Volvos. or America with its ridiculously low speed limits would be a much better choice than Thailand.

Hmmn afterthought - maybe America not such a good idea - commit a traffic offence there and it seems you are quite likely to get shot by the police, especially if your skin is of a darker tone - think I'd rather pay a backhander to a smiling Thai traffic cop any day!
Well, lived there long time & never ever met a nanny except for the goat type.

Speed limit for bikes here, 90kph; Colorado, 120.

I'm not afraid of regular criminals in USA,

but cops there are scary violent.

Driving a MC in Thailand is an intense experience...even if your equipment is perfect...you have not been drinking...you are still in for the ride of your life...danger comes from all angles and directions...do not feel secure just because someone has stopped in the middle of the road waiting for you to pass...

Just as I was about to pass an MC which had pulled out into traffic and stopped in the middle of the road...the dingbat pulled out...while looking in the opposite direction...gunned his MC right into the side of mine...got to love the MC drivers here...

Drive defensively and do not adopt the Thais way of refusing to drive by the rules of the road...

"So many on here seem to want Thailand to 'change for the better' or 'do things differently'. The inference being of course that Thailand should do things, and be the same as the western countries that most of these critics originate from.

It baffles me why, if these people are so discontented by the way Thailand is, and prefer the way things are done in their home countries, that they left their own countries in the first place.. I like Thailand because it is what it is, and glad to escape from the 'nanny state' culture, and political correctness of the west. I do not wish to see it slowly have it's character (be it bad or good), chipped away at until it eventually becomes just another 'westernised' country.

If I'd wanted to live in a country where road travel was uber safe, I would think that either Sweden where everyone drives Volvos. or America with its ridiculously low speed limits would be a much better choice than Thailand.

Hmmn afterthought - maybe America not such a good idea - commit a traffic offence there and it seems you are quite likely to get shot by the police, especially if your skin is of a darker tone - think I'd rather pay a backhander to a smiling Thai traffic cop any day!

Well, lived there long time & never ever met a nanny except for the goat type.

Speed limit for bikes here, 90kph; Colorado, 120.

I'm not afraid of regular criminals in USA,

but cops there are scary violent.

Suppose if there was no fault in an accident at night with other driver with no lights maybe ok. Get it is what it is out here. Do not want a nanny state. Obvious safety for innocent people should be more of a concern than the "lads" that can see in the dark.

[ . . .]

Drive defensively and do not adopt the Thais way of refusing to drive by the rules of the road...

I don't think you get it yet. Those are the rules of the road here. Perhaps not official, nevertheless it is what it is, adapt or move on.

Edited by macknife

[ . . .]

I don't think you get it yet. Those are the rules of the road here. Perhaps not official, nevertheless it is what it is, adapt or move on.

Too true. Crossroads on canal roads, road markings mean nothing. Not local could have a problem, if local know how junction works.

I get what you are saying - but you are applying the culture and ethos of the society that you were brought up in, to life in Thailand. That is never going work out well for anyone, People from the West have been brought up on a culture of 'my rights' and 'I'm entitled to', which is completely at odds with the way things are in Thailand - and plenty of other countries too.

It really takes very little time to realise that personal safety in general Thailand is really not a high priority - so as I said earlier if road safety is such a big concern to a person then they are making a pretty silly choice to move to Thailand in the first place.

Living in Thailand, whilst not as fraught with danger as some scaremongers on here would have you believe, does certainly involve a higher risk factor than living in leafy Western suburbia. If that bothers you then don't come, because once you are here you can kiss your 'rights' and your 'entitlements' goodbye, and trying to change things or even compare with the West will only make you deeply unpopular with the Thais.

You need to remember where your at.This is Thailand.You should have been in this country 45 years ago.

Thailand has changed for the better but it has A long way to go.Just be patient,it'll get there.

Let's hope it never does.

OP you forgot the old battered pick up trucks also without lights.

This is Thailand,

why not change the rules and make it better?

2 days before i was just millimeter for crash with a motobike without lights,

This is Thailand , but its possible to make it better, for sure!!!!!

If you look in the streets how the Thaipeople driving , maybe they get the license in a cornflakes package.

And many of the drivers in Thailand DONT have a license!

And many of the Farang when they comes to Thailand , leave the brain at home!

Make it better and save life, that is the correct answer!

the Thais are not going to change for you, you must change for them

So many on here seem to want Thailand to 'change for the better' or 'do things differently'. The inference being of course that Thailand should do things, and be the same as the western countries that most of these critics originate from.

The ideas that you present may seem reasonable to you - and theoretically I cannot fault your reasoning. But the actual reality is that just saying: "This is Thailand," and, ".... if you don't like it go back.... blah blah blah..." does not answer anything, whether the complaints are valid of not.

You should realize that the situation, the culture in Thailand - like everywhere else - is constantly changing and will continue to change.

Decadent Western values, e.g. modern music and drug culture and rampant materialism, in place of traditional values have creeped into this country, like invasive species of animals and plants. One of the imported items of physical culture was the automobile. Thai people did not adapt to the automobile by learning how to drive safely - as people did in North America, from the time they were children. They have no tradition of wanting to understand how mechanical things work and how to do PM and simple repairs in order to be able to drive safely, no infrastructure of repair centers and parts stores and forced re-education in driving skills for people caught driving in violation of traffic rules. Therre are other 3dWorld countries where people do place value on making things work right so that that people can go on with their lives without being stuck in bad situations that were preventable. So it is in no way "normal" or natural that the situation in Thailand be as it is. It got that way through circumstances and historical events, chance and luck. It could be different. It could be different if people with the power to change things accepted the responsibility to change things for the better.

You should bear in mind that no one who comjplains about the unsafe driving practices in Thailand decided to come here because they studied the driving practices of all countries and picked Thailand as the place to be in order to be able to complain about the driving. Just as no one stays in AMerica because they like the idea of getting shot by a cop for speeding.

You should get it into your mind that thinking people, when they see something that is wrong - or not in accordance with their own value system - are going to point it out - especially if the consequences of this wrong are ongoing tragedy that is preventable with a small amount of foresight and preparation.

If it bothers you so much that farangs complain then maybe you should go somewhere that people don't complain, a country where freedom of speech is not considered normal - maybe communist China, where those in power make all the decisions for you and you don't have to listen to people complain about the wrongs because the complainers get put into prison

Edited by seedy
post in quotes

Yup its dangerous and stupid. To answer your question, no it is really cheap to fix a light. A bulb will set you back at like 15. Baht

But you forgot about the running costs....generating those extra 6W to power the bulb causes the engine to use more fuel. Costs a fortune over the life of the bike.

That's what I was told by a bike rider without lights!

The sarcasm around here gets drier everyday ... 'Got to be careful though - there are some that'll actually take stuff like that seriously. It could start a whole new green movement. "Save the planet; turn off your bike lights!"

That wasn't sarcasm.

Good, then I didn't miss it. It should've been ...

"Costs a fortune over the life of the bike." Right. cheesy.gif

A faulty tail light is not an issue when they travel on the wrong side of the road.

Unless of course, you're travelling behind them. coffee1.gif

I see. I knew there had to be a logical explanation¡¡¡. rolleyes.gif

I wonder at the logic of those who do not turn on their headlights at night to save gasoline.

I wonder at the logic of those who do not turn on their headlights at night to save gasoline.

Its not about saving fuel, its about going faster. Turning the lights OFF shows that you are on an important time-critical mission, e.g. getting new beer before the second half of the soccer match starts.

You need to remember where your at.This is Thailand.You should have been in this country 45 years ago.

Thailand has changed for the better but it has A long way to go.Just be patient,it'll get there.

Thailand, the last refugium of anarchy. Sadly thats not exactly what the natives want. If i talk to thai people they mostly say that they do not like the chaos on the streets either. Everyone is just doing what the others do but most people do not like that the others are doing it. Thais who have visited other countries often praise the ordered traffic there.

coffee1.gif

I get what you are saying - but you are applying the culture and ethos of the society that you were brought up in, to life in Thailand. That is never going work out well for anyone, People from the West have been brought up on a culture of 'my rights' and 'I'm entitled to', which is completely at odds with the way things are in Thailand - and plenty of other countries too.

It really takes very little time to realise that personal safety in general Thailand is really not a high priority - so as I said earlier if road safety is such a big concern to a person then they are making a pretty silly choice to move to Thailand in the first place.

Living in Thailand, whilst not as fraught with danger as some scaremongers on here would have you believe, does certainly involve a higher risk factor than living in leafy Western suburbia. If that bothers you then don't come, because once you are here you can kiss your 'rights' and your 'entitlements' goodbye, and trying to change things or even compare with the West will only make you deeply unpopular with the Thais.

Despite your assertions the Thais are getting the message, slowly, and will eventually get there. It's certainly improved in Isaan over the last 15-20 years. Beware of their riding and driving habits but don't copy them and take care. Part of the problem is they learn from their parents and only find out how dangerous it can be by experience. Hence the very high death rate.

Thailand, the last refugium of anarchy. Sadly thats not exactly what the natives want. If i talk to thai people they mostly say that they do not like the chaos on the streets either. Everyone is just doing what the others do but most people do not like that the others are doing it. Thais who have visited other countries often praise the ordered traffic there.

coffee1.gif

They learn their road skills on the front of a step through. Hard to change.

Yeah, can you imagine someone losing his or her life because they were to lazy to fix a rear light of there motorbike !!! .. so life can be valued at 15 Bath in Thailand !!!

And Just like the OP I saw hundreds of motorbikes without proper working rear lights !!!

Almost run over somebody at night, who had a lot of stuff in the front carry basket that it covered the front light....just saying....!!!