UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is closing.

doctormann

What about if a British national dies in Chiang Mai. Where do the friends or relatives go to report the death and have it listed in the British births, marriages and deaths registry?

Consulates can't register the death.

You pay 105 quid to do this by post.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-death/y/overseas/thailand/same_country

It's not compulsory to register the death though.

It`s not compulsory to register, but for those of us that have wives and private pensions, it may be necessary to register so that the widow will receive her husband`s pension or a percentage or it according to the terms and conditions of the pension. I am in that category.

If the pension money is going into a direct deposit bank account can you not have it set up to automatically transfer to your bank here in Thailand. Into a joint account? Or leave your ATM card to withdraw it to the wife with the PIN?

I would think it would be to the favor of the government to have your death reported.

One recalls the days when, telegraphing ahead and arriving by elephant, one could arrange a chotapeg or two followed by dinner with HM Honorary Consul.

Now, one is lucky if the ruffian is wearing a shirt.

I have also heard rumour that chaps in the Diplomatic Corps are actually being recruited from those that went to Government Schools: and that they read newspapers (the Times is the only real newspaper) without having had them ironed first! Place is goin' to the dogs.

Thread #85. Thanks Loaded.

Well at least this thread has thrown up some useful info. Thank you. I will copy this to put with my Will.

Not sure why the cause of death would impact on UK probate though? I would have thought the fact of properly certified death was enough for that.

But maybe 'cause' is useful to offspring when they get to fill in life Insurance apps someday, asking ' age/cause of death of father' - in case the cause was hereditary etc, so maybe autopsy is a good idea-although I suspect many merely say 'heart failure' !

Not sure if I'm the only one but this solid complaining about a country other than Thailand feels kind of refreshing. thumbsup.gif

If there's one thing the Brits like to complain about more than Thailand and the Thais, it's their own government. Yet, it's amazing, when I talk with them how few have actually voted in their own elections.

At least a couple of reasons: Many expats Brits are denied a vote.

But maybe non-voters because it can seem futile. UK election campaign on now, so a few loud mouths from a few teams will spend 6 weeks saying what they think will get them elected, and then the winners(s) will spend 5 years doing something completely different. Hardly democracy.

I think even in the US where many expected that there would be greater distribution of wealth under Obama, the 'haves' have even more and the ';have-nots' have even less.

Unsurprising to me that many dont bother.

Back to topic, in a perfect democracy, Brits in the catchment of Chiang Mai could have been asked if they would contribute financially to maintain a Consulate here (as an alternative to trips to Bangkok). I suspect we would still have a Consulate....

Not sure if I'm the only one but this solid complaining about a country other than Thailand feels kind of refreshing. thumbsup.gif

If there's one thing the Brits like to complain about more than Thailand and the Thais, it's their own government. Yet, it's amazing, when I talk with them how few have actually voted in their own elections.

But maybe non-voters because it can seem futile. UK election campaign on now, so a few loud mouths from a few teams will spend 6 weeks saying what they think will get them elected, and then the winners(s) will spend 5 years doing something completely different. Hardly democracy.

I think even in the US where many expected that there would be greater distribution of wealth under Obama, the 'haves' have even more and the ';have-nots' have even less.

Back to topic, in a perfect democracy, Brits in the catchment of Chiang Mai could have been asked if they would contribute financially to maintain a Consulate here (as an alternative to trips to Bangkok). I suspect we would still have a Consulate....

Not bloody likely !!!! Whatever form of democracy!

Not bloody likely !!!! Whatever form of democracy!

That's ok Mapguy. In a democracy you get your ONE vote against. Cancels out my one vote FOR

My recent personal experience was that it wasn't necessary to register in the UK. Probate in the UK needed the original death certificate plus an authorized translation stamped by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Their office is located in the government building along the Mae Rim road. Enter through the main entrance and it's the 2nd or 3rd door on the left on the ground (US = 1st) floor.

I'm not sure whether it's necessary to register to organize/transfer pension benefits. I guess not.

Make sure you request an autopsy at the time of death otherwise a cause of death won't be added to the death certificate. This is, I'm sure, important for probate in the UK.

There was a process from doctor confirming death to cremation but the consulate in Chiang Mai do not need to be involved. I visited and informed them. The police asked later whether we had informed them. The consular staff took the passport and I assume made a record of the death on their computer. They returned the passport after snipping off a corner with a pair of scissors. They were very polite and respectful, as always.

You make some very valid and important points here.

This is a matter that I haven`t really thought about seriously and thinking about it, should now be making inquiries.

I will contact my UK pension companies in the next few days and ask exactly what are their requirements if in the event of my death. Best straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Thanks again for this and appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

• Like 1

If the pension money is going into a direct deposit bank account can you not have it set up to automatically transfer to your bank here in Thailand. Into a joint account? Or leave your ATM card to withdraw it to the wife with the PIN?

I would think it would be to the favor of the government to have your death reported.

All my bank accounts, here and abroad are in joint names with my wife. Obtaining the money for my family would not be a problem.

I also believe that having my death registered with both the US social security death index and the UK registry office (I have joint nationality) would be beneficial.

The Australian honorary council in Chiangmai has resigned in protest over treatment of Paraplegics and wheelchair bound elderly who are now required to show up in person for identity confirmation. This is a huge burden to this group who must book not only for themselves but also for a carer to help them to Bangkok. This creates not only a huge financial burden but one of stress for diabled pensioners. I am writting to the consul general to put my strong objection to this stupid rule. In Australia a priest, policeman or magistrate can swear identity for passport identification. Why not here? Mr. Walther , the current honorary consul does a great job for us.Think of the hassle we will need to go through without his services? Like confirming income. Will we have to do this in person or trust the post? What about all the other services we will be denied by this move.

I urge all Australian pensioners here to put in their objections. The address is readily available on Google. They have not yet confirmed a replacement ,if any. I personaly want to show support for the current Mr. Walthers for his good works and in particular to the disadvantaged disabled.

'Like confirming income', when was this ever done in Chiang Mai? Just yesterday I had to fly to Bangkok from Chiang Mai to get my income confirmed at the Australian Embassy, tied one worker up for almost a minute, paid the fee of 490 baht, and returned home, whole day wasted, cost about 3,500 baht.

No loss there then ! I too had the misfortune to visit CM UK Consulate apalling,rude & arrogant Thai lady ran the place under the Hon Consuler who was never to be seen.or contacted as always"too busy". Disgrace of a place. Pattaya had some fat,ugly gay guy & gay team including a formidable looking lady man working next to immigration a few years ago but although making themselves a few quid were at least efficient.

The only decent UK Consulate I met was an ex-Army man on Koh Samui about 6 yrs ago but I think he packed it in as just got grief...all very sad.

The Thai lady you refer to was the most helpful, pleasant lady you could ever wish to meet. You are an utter disgrace to talk about her like this. I imagine with your attitude you have problems wherever you go.

Bangkok next, Brits are expected to go back home when Ed cancels non-Domicile status.

Non-Dom status primarily affects foreign nationals who live in the UK, it has nothing to do with British nationals who don't. Edited by eaglesflight
  • Like 1

No loss there then ! I too had the misfortune to visit CM UK Consulate apalling,rude & arrogant Thai lady ran the place under the Hon Consuler who was never to be seen.or contacted as always"too busy". Disgrace of a place. Pattaya had some fat,ugly gay guy & gay team including a formidable looking lady man working next to immigration a few years ago but although making themselves a few quid were at least efficient.

The only decent UK Consulate I met was an ex-Army man on Koh Samui about 6 yrs ago but I think he packed it in as just got grief...all very sad.

The Thai lady you refer to was the most helpful, pleasant lady you could ever wish to meet. You are an utter disgrace to talk about her like this. I imagine with your attitude you have problems wherever you go.

I second your comment. Whenever I have been to the Consulate I have found them extremely helpful and polite. I shall miss their helpful ways.

• Like 1

I agree.

Khun Panita was a gem, always helpful and would always answer emails.

It wasn't her fault about excessive charges or the boss not being there to sign things.

I would also totally endorse your positive comments uptheos....

• Like 1

I agree.

Khun Panita was a gem, always helpful and would always answer emails.

It wasn't her fault about excessive charges or the boss not being there to sign things.

I would also totally endorse your positive comments uptheos....

Likewise.

All my dealings ( and there have been quite a few ) with the Hon Con and his staff have been totally professional and full of compassion.

It's not their fault that policy is dictated elsewhere and that their hands are tied by the rules.

Khun Panthita has been extremely helpful to many Brits in distress and wherever possible has, in my experience, gone the extra mile.

It's a shame and our loss, that they are closing this consulate.

• Like 1

Try phoning the embassy in Bangkok...they will all be out playing tennis or drinking Pimms. If i need assistance i will go to my local nick, explain things in the vernacular, job done.

But at least if you're a Beethoven fan you'll doubtless have the pleasure of being serenaded by the entire suite of his symphonies from start to finish at your expense until tennis games have been concluded or supplies of Pimms have been exhausted!

• Like 1

A comment today by a Brit of 54 years+, in CM.

"We had a Vice-Consul here (E. B. Gould) in the 1869s, I think. There were two Brits selling Yorkshire woolen ware here in 1510, approx. both named Samuel. One returned to Ayutthaya with collection of silverware from sales, the other was captured and made a prisoner with the balance of goods unsold and taken to Burma, where he died."

john

A disgrace closing the Brit Consulate, other countries are in expansion mode.

A comment today by a Brit of 54 years+, in CM.

"We had a Vice-Consul here (E. B. Gould) in the 1869s, I think. There were two Brits selling Yorkshire woolen ware here in 1510, approx. both named Samuel. One returned to Ayutthaya with collection of silverware from sales, the other was captured and made a prisoner with the balance of goods unsold and taken to Burma, where he died."

john

A disgrace closing the Brit Consulate, other countries are in expansion mode.

Not sure what other countries are expanding John,certainly not mine, Australia. Our CM honorary consul has apparently gone. For years the Australian Embassy in Bangkok has out sourced all visas to other countries and you now go through a Thai company. We have this mega building on prime real estate on Sathorn Rd and I doubt whether many people are actually representing our country there. May as well flog it.

I understand that some working or permanent visas for Thai's wishing to settle in Australia the Australian Government have doubled the fees for application and if you get rejected you have done your dough.