Crowd Update

goosifer

After the mob in Soi 7 yesterday, I expected to see some life in the bars when the sun set : nothing could have been further from the truth. Billabong in LK Metro had a reasonable turnout, but I've never seen the bars on Diana so empty and Buakhow was much the same. Went into Oscar's GoGo on LK at the insistence of one of the girls I was with - there was one other punter and he looked bored. When he left we followed soon after, leaving the girls on stage to their own devices. I'm assured that it will pick up on the 18th and 19th - the last two days of Songkran here in Pattaya - but last night was the pits.

I think whats going on is the continued influx of Chinese, they are filling up all the hotels and crowding out the western type tourists. The Chinese just go to whatever commission based places their tour guides bus them to.

Having said that, this is all just a theory. But if it continues then the bars etc will gradually shut down and as far as I'm concerned all the character of Pattaya will be lost. Most farangs will move on.

I would imagine going to Pattaya for beer bars and go go,s would be worse during Songkran from what Iv herd most of they girls are back home or out partying with there actual Thai boyfriends

Yes many farangs (like me) just wait until Songran is over before going out. I fancy a drink today but i'm not fighting my way around town just for a beer.

If it weren't for the Chinese tourists, the Eastern European targeted resort I'm staying at may as well shut down this week.

Like 'em or hate 'em, they're taking up a lot of the slack as the European economies suffer. To claim they're crowding out the "good" tourists is a little far fetched.

The place is still about half as full as it was during Songkran 2 years ago when I was here.

If it weren't for the Chinese tourists, the Eastern European targeted resort I'm staying at may as well shut down this week.

Like 'em or hate 'em, they're taking up a lot of the slack as the European economies suffer. To claim they're crowding out the "good" tourists is a little far fetched.

The place is still about half as full as it was during Songkran 2 years ago when I was here.

Strange, because hotel prices are about 50% higher than this time last year

Strange, because hotel prices are about 50% higher than this time last year

You must be new to Thai Tourism business math...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 1