Buying a big bike as a farang

I'd like to add.. once you have the residence certificate along with your passport in hand you can visit the a dealership for the type bike (say Honda). Met up with the owner there and they [dealership] will handle the transfer of the bike into your name. You don't need your girlfriends assistance at this point.

I have transferred 7 bikes into my name and 2 cars using my 30 day visa exempt status.

Kurt

I agree, I am on a retiement extension, but most of my club members are offshore workers on visa exempt, all of them own big bikes in their own name.

your friend will have to take copy of house book and ID then register you as living in his house. Immigration Law. Then give copies of your documents, Passport, Visa , entry stamp. picture . DO NOT PUT IN GF's Name. you have been warned. Make sure you purchase bike as soon as you get your address certificate because only good for length of your visa.

What if I just register myself living at her apartment - renting as such from her. Is this possible? Even if she is renting herself. Then once I have the certificate residence I can get the bike in my name

Here is a sample rental agreement.. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=166386 This can be used with your girlfriend or mate to prove residence... My suggestion would be to use it for the residence certificate and tear it up after that.

When you have that document signed and in your hands go to the immigration office with your passport to collect your residence certificate.

Kurt

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

I see. And currently no I'm living at GFS house. That's why !

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

Farang cannot 'be added' to House book.

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

I see. And currently no I'm living at GFS house. That's why !

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

Farang cannot 'be added' to House book.

Just a slight correction. A foreigner cannot be listed in the Blue house book but can be listed in the Yellow house book. The only stipulation (as far as Pattaya goes) is you need to be on a long term visa to have you name added to a Yellow house book. The only exception to this rule that I am aware of is if you purchase your own condo.

Regards,

Kurt

I'd like to add.. once you have the residence certificate along with your passport in hand you can visit the a dealership for the type bike (say Honda). Met up with the owner there and they [dealership] will handle the transfer of the bike into your name. You don't need your girlfriends assistance at this point.

I have transferred 7 bikes into my name and 2 cars using my 30 day visa exempt status.

Kurt

K,

Never heard this term before.

From what are you exempt?

Visa exempt - passport holders from 41 countries are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit.

Just to clarify some people mistakenly call it a tourist visa but it is not, it is an exemption allowing free travel in the Kingdom up to 30 days (no extendable for another 30 days).

Kurt

Actually it is extendable for 60 days for people married to a Thai.

It is actually known as a 'Unofficial marriage visa'.

People would enter with no visa, get 15/30 day Visa Exemption. Then extend it for 60 days at immigration for 1,900.

There used to be a cap on it (3 times in a row), but now the run can be done indefinitely. Poor people living near borders do it more than others. Saves them the hassle of actually getting a full marriage visa/extension.

anyway, back to the bike. You really don't a need a Thai partner for anything. The Certificate of Residence from your embassy/immigration office or police station, and your passport, and your money.

Kurt

K,

Visa exempt - passport holders from 41 countries are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit.

Just to clarify some people mistakenly call it a tourist visa but it is not, it is an exemption allowing free travel in the Kingdom up to 30 days (no extendable for another 30 days).

Kurt

People would enter with no visa, get 15/30 day Visa Exemption. Then extend it for 60 days at immigration for 1,900.

There used to be a cap on it (3 times in a row), but now the run can be done indefinitely. Poor people living near borders do it more than others. Saves them the hassle of actually getting a full marriage visa/extension.

anyway, back to the bike. You really don't a need a Thai partner for anything. The Certificate of Residence from your embassy/immigration office or police station, and your passport, and your money.

Actually it is extendable for 30 days @ 1,900 baht. Calling it anything other than a Visa Exempt entry only adds confusion.

Regards,

Kurt

K,

Kurt

Actually it is extendable for 30 days @ 1,900 baht. Calling it anything other than a Visa Exempt entry only adds confusion.

Regards,

Kurt

They changed it from 7 days to 30 days a few months ago, and is extendable for 60 days if married to a Thai. (rule 2.24)

(The Unofficial Marriage Visa) Was more common before the 15 day overland rule, and Savanakhet begun giving 12 month multi-entries without any proof of funds needed. Back then if you didn't have 400k in the bank or income there was very little choice if using marriage as a reason for being here. 30+60=90 days for 1,900b plus the border hop. Was common in the North where Mae Sot was 500b. Anyway, I ramble.

Back to the bike.

So OP, what's going on? Have you contacted anybody about your Certificate of Residence? Embassy/Consulate? Immigration? Police?

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Immigration said today that I had to have applied for my visa through them for them to do it for me (nonthaburi immigration). Not sure how true that is. Bottom line is they didn't do it (residence certificate). They want me to pay 3k at my embassy instead

Immigration said today that I had to have applied for my visa through them for them to do it for me (nonthaburi immigration). Not sure how true that is. Bottom line is they didn't do it (residence certificate). They want me to pay 3k at my embassy instead

Yup.

Forget immigration and just contact your embassy and pay them the money. You'll have it in 2-3 days. Hassle free.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
disrespect for Thai people

****TO CONFIRM****

I've found a bike I'm interested in.

Its not in his name, hes on tourist visa, (but has all paper work) he has the transfer paper filled out by the owner, copy of ID of owner, green book and copy of transfer green book signed by previous owner, (id signed too). So I just have to make sure the transfer purchase signature matches green book signature? Then with this, I can sign it into my name whenever I please, once obtaining a work permit, or res cert etc. Will I need anything else signed from this guy on the tourist visa selling to me other than transfer purchase signature? Such as maybe copy of ID signed by him or something, before he leaves the country?

Thanks.

Or for the time being could I simply do the middle contract , where it's the paper that prepares to transfer to someone's name (don't know name of paper). Apparently this is safe also , as can simply transfer to my name when ready. Anyone know if this is really a safe option also?

i am increasingly convinced you are either a comic genius or an utter fool.

Better go with him to transfer the bike to your name and then give him the money if everything is done. Better safe than sorry.

Technically though, even if I don't get it in my name, so long as I have the green book and transfer documents, it will be safe enough and cant be taken away from me? This guy has had the bike in "mid-transfer" as such for the past 1.5 years no problems. Just don't lose the documents I guess lol.

Reason is, I'm not sure I can get a res certificate without the house owner being with me (as I personally have to get one at british embassy, confirmed by immigration).

I have a filled out paper piece from the house owner, but I'm sure they would need to sign something in-person. Or at least I would've thought. I guess I could take the paper in signed by her and see if I can get myself a cert.

Or for the time being could I simply do the middle contract , where it's the paper that prepares to transfer to someone's name (don't know name of paper). Apparently this is safe also , as can simply transfer to my name when ready. Anyone know if this is really a safe option also?

i am increasingly convinced you are either a comic genius or an utter fool.

Yawn