Phuket Bus Terminal taxis back in business

webfact

Phuket Bus Terminal taxis back in business
Nattapat Tuarob

1428573763_1-org.jpg
Rassada Mayor Phudit Raksarat discusses his plans for the future of the taxi co-op.

Phuket: -- Following the complaint made by members of the Phuket Bus Terminal Cooperative Ltd (PBTC) on Tuesday (April 7) about their eviction from the Phuket Bus Terminal on Thepkrasattri Rd last Friday (April 3), an agreement has been reached which will see ther taxi operators back in operation immediately.

The agreement was reached at a meeting chaired by Vice-Governor Somkiet Sangkhoasutthirak between the PBTC and Rassada Municipality at the Provincial Hall yesterday afternoon (April 8).

At the meeting, Rassada Mayor Phudit Raksarat said, “The goal that I set was to make the terminal clean, safe, modern, orderly, and beneficial to the people.

“What I am concerned about is safety because this taxi co-op usually stay at the back of the bus terminal.

“I would like them to move to the front. There are CCTVs at the front and anyone passing through will be captured on camera. I will also put air-conditioning there for them.

“When there, some of them cook, and some wear loincloths. How can this be an international terminal?

Mayor Phudith also has plans for the future. He wants to see an auction for public transport services who want to operate within the bus terminal.

He would also like to have a system introduced similar to that at Suvarnabhumi Airport where taxis pay B10 or B20 baht for each trip they take to cover maintenance costs. However, he confirmed that the municipality will not take any commission from any group.

V/Gov Somkiet made suggestions for four temporary measures which should be applied until Mayor Phudith puts his plans in palce;

The governor will assign a working group consisting of officials from Rassada Municpality, Provincial Officers and private transport service representatives to solve future problems.
Rassada Municipality must make a proper plan and blueprint for their re-organisation within the Terminal.
Retain regulations made by the Transport Department for the time present but they can be adjusted whilst the roadmap is being drawn up.
Suspend the eviction notice.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bus-terminal-taxis-back-in-business-51810.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-09

I have never taken a taxi here nor will I. The prices they charge are criminal compared to other parts of Thailand, and there is no valid reason why this is so, except pure greed.

Corruption it seems is here to stay, everybody filling their pockets at the expense of both tourists and Phuketians. Shame on you all !

• Like 1