Starting a Limited Partnership, work permit or business visa?

I'm about to register a Limited Partnership, which seems fairly straigthforward. But I can't find anything about the visa process. Some sources indicates that I first need a work permit for my self-employment and then apply for a business visa in Thailand?

Also, is there any minimum requirements of turnover or net income?

I'm 27, Swede.

Edit: I should add that there is a Thai citizen who owns 61%, and I 39%.

Edited by mramazing

The Thai partner registers the company and definitely needs to understand that they will have 100% liability and will be the sole signatory for the company.

Your WP1 application at Labour (first) and single entry 90 day non immigrant category "B" visa application (made second outside of Thailand) can occur only once the partnership is registered at the Commerce Department.

Two million capitalisation will be required for your WP unless you are married to a Thai, then it's 1 million.

• Like 1

Thank you for all replies!

My partner just talked to an agency and they recommended a commercial registration instead, as I already operate a business in Sweden. We will have a look into that.

So basically, there is no way for me to own a Thai business and getting an applicable visa without four Thai employees? (Except this BOI thing, which seems quite a hassle)

Thank you for all replies!

My partner just talked to an agency and they recommended a commercial registration instead, as I already operate a business in Sweden. We will have a look into that.

So basically, there is no way for me to own a Thai business and getting an applicable visa without four Thai employees? (Except this BOI thing, which seems quite a hassle)

Welcome to the wonderful world of "legally" owning and running a foreign operated business here in Thailand ... tons of paperwork, lots of running around, lots of money, and yes, 4 x Thai staff for every 1 x WP you need.

Also, based on experience, if the agency is suggesting commercial registration to you, I would get at least 4 x further "second opinions" from other agencies/lawyers. There's a lot of fine print and corner cutting that they don't tell you about which could come back and bite you in the ass at a later date.

I could be wrong, but I thought there had to be 2 x Thai partners (not 1) owning (between them) a minimum of 51%+ of the shares ... ? Or has that changed recently?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will also need four Thai employees (two if married to a Thai) to get a work permit.

Could this be Thai brother/sister in-laws, ie in name only?

You have to be married to a Thai to fall under the 2 employee rule.

The employees could be any Thai you pay.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will also need four Thai employees (two if married to a Thai) to get a work permit.

Could this be Thai brother/sister in-laws, ie in name only?

You have to be married to a Thai to fall under the 2 employee rule.

The employees could be any Thai you pay.

Note that you will also need to pay the employees tax and social security whether they are employees "in name only" or not.

Edited by mngmn

• 7 months later...