naive guy tired of making mistakes!

That was the first mistake I made, not getting the correct visa in Hull.

So you think my best option for longevity on my next visa would be Savanakhet in Laos? A double entry would give me 60 (+30) then border then another 60 (+30) would I be correct in my assumption? I am not going to even think about the ED visa as an option because the only reasons I considered it in the first place were because it gave me 1 year, and the fact I would feel like I was doing something worthwhile.

Yes I think that your best option at moment & gives you some time to review visa rules/options & your plans here.

Savanakhet is easy, you can do this on your own with no touts/agents & no hassle, just by researching the savanakhet threads for advise & asking few questions if needed. You would have close to 6months from that if do 2 extensions but I would probably only do one extension & then use the 2,000baht extension fee to go get another savanakhet visa.

English teaching gets knocked here but some of the most decent people & good long term earners I know have been proper teachers who put in the effort & got good positions.

You would probably be wise doing a few trips around the region when activating second visa entries or picking up another visa. Cambodia is worth some time, historically interesting & siam reap was quite appealing to me, could be a place you find interesting & with more friendly permits & less $ greedy could be a business ground for yourself !

Ah ok so to clarify, instead of going for my last 30 day addition, I go back to Savanakhet and buy a new visa for 60 days and then add the 30 to that? Is that what you mean? And if so, how would that benefit me if I 'sacrifice' the last 30 days?

^ it not really sacrifice - more a case of a better purchase, personally I find the 30day extensions for 1900bt plus cost of commute a waste of money & my day. Up to you if you want milk extensions to the max. I done a lot of travelling in the region as found it far more rewarding than turning up at an immigration office & kissing butt buying 30days ;-/ thais sell everything & anything for $ :-/

Edited by BuckBee

^ it not really sacrifice - more a case of a better purchase, personally I find the 30day extensions for 1900bt plus cost of commute a waste of money & my day. Up to you if you want milk extensions to the max. I done a lot of travelling in the region as found it far more rewarding than turning up at an immigration office & kissing butt buying 30days ;-/ thais sell everything & anything for $ :-/

yes i see your point - how much is the 60 day visa?

Ah ok so to clarify, instead of going for my last 30 day addition, I go back to Savanakhet and buy a new visa for 60 days and then add the 30 to that? Is that what you mean? And if so, how would that benefit me if I 'sacrifice' the last 30 days?

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos. That will you two 60 day entries.

You can get a 30 day extension for each entry.

Not getting an extension for both entries is loosing 60 days of total stay you can get from the visa. That means getting one extra 2 entry tourist visa each year.

He was just voicing his opinion and personal preferences.

• Like 2

Not getting an extension for both entries is loosing 60 days of total stay you can get from the visa. That means getting one extra 2 entry tourist visa each year.

Thanks ubonjoe, could you tell me how long I can do this for before things start to get difficult, or is that a bit of a tricky one?

Thanks ubonjoe, could you tell me how long I can do this for before things start to get difficult, or is that a bit of a tricky one?

There are people that have stayed here for many years on tourist visas.

You can get almost a year and a half worth of tourist visas in Laos at the moment without a problem. There are several reports of people getting 3 two entry visas back to back in Laos. A few people have reported getting 4.

You could even break the chain of back to back visas by going some place else for a visa after getting a couple in Laos.

• Like 1

You are/were looking for ways to stay here as long as possible so although 1,900 may be a waste of money for some it could be beneficial to you. If you don't get an 'ED' or Elite visa your only option is Tourist visas, and as you might be restricted to the number you can get, extending your stay by 30 days could be beneficial if you want to live solely in Thailand. If you are prepared to live between neighbouring countries and Thailand during the next three years then extensions may not be necessary.

A single entry tourist visa is 1,000 baht. A double entry tourist visa is 2,000 baht. Each entry gives you 60 days.

• Like 1

There are people that have stayed here for many years on tourist visas.

You can get almost a year and a half worth of tourist visas in Laos at the moment without a problem. There are several reports of people getting 3 two entry visas back to back in Laos. A few people have reported getting 4.

You could even break the chain of back to back visas by going some place else for a visa after getting a couple in Laos.

I hit 50 in January 2018 so I guess I could be lucky until then? By the way, I dont just have 3m baht til the grim reaper comes a knocking! I have other interests so money is not so much an issue right now as the period between now and Jan 2018 is.

You are/were looking for ways to stay here as long as possible so although 1,900 may be a waste of money for some it could be beneficial to you. If you don't get an 'ED' or Elite visa your only option is Tourist visas, and as you might be restricted to the number you can get, extending your stay by 30 days could be beneficial if you want to live solely in Thailand. If you are prepared to live between neighbouring countries and Thailand during the next three years then extensions may not be necessary.

A single entry tourist visa is 1,000 baht. A double entry tourist visa is 2,000 baht. Each entry gives you 60 days.

yes elviajero i see what you mean. i see Buckbee's point that he doesnt want to pay more or less the same as a 60 day for a 30 day extension AND have the grief of that extra excursion but like you say, each to their own, the situation may suit me to do the extra 30 days each time.

If I was prepared to 2 live in a neighbouring country, how long would I need to 'live' in said neighbouring country before return?

In summary, if I return to Thailand, Am I better off going via Savanakhet or Vientiane for a double entry visa?

Oh and any last advice about online business would be great

Personally, I think Savannakhet is a dump. I haven't been there in over ten years so maybe it's changed. I would go to Vientiane.

Any business that you work for in Thailand would, legally, require a work permit. Getting a work permit is not easy, and probably impossible if your online business is only you. If you do find such a business, and operate without a work permit, keep quite about it. As pointed out by others, working and having any business here is not straightforward.

• Like 1

Hi JB300 - I have wandered about making money online but my work background is manual so wouldn't really have a clue where to start or what business would be good, as I fear that anything worthwhile would be already up and running with much competition . . . would you have any suggestions as I am open to any ideas or thoughts.

There is no way for you to make money in Thailand.

If there were, we would already be doing it.

However, there are many ways to lose 3Mbht very quickly.

Just spend 3 months in Thailand then 3 months somewhere else until you are 50.

3M should last you 6-10 years then back to the UK broke.

Someone who didn't know Thailand very well, would probably find it quite difficult to live on 25k baht a month which is what it would take for your money to last 10 years.

Over the past 30 years that I have been "involved" with Thailand, I have seen very few foreigners make any money here but have seen heaps loose their money.

To run a successful business you will need to interact with your customers, suppliers, staff, landlord, local government, possibly the police and immigration... How will you do that unless you can speak pretty good Thai? If a Thai who spoke no English came to the UK to start a business, how successful would they be? On top of the basic communication problem, you will also need a good understanding of how Thai culture shapes the business environment. Sanook (or lack of it), gren jai (real or symbolic), saving face, avoiding conflict... all exert a tremendous influence in the Thai workplace. Some of these aspects of Thai culture are even difficult to translate into English.

Some foreigners solve the communication and cultural problems by relying on a Thai partner (either a business partner or a life partner). If your partner has the necessary experience and communication skills, then this can be workable strategy. I won't go into all the potential pitfalls of this strategy but suffice to say an untrustworthy partner it is one of the main reasons people loose money smile.png

Unless you opt for an online business, you will need some form of business premises. With your restricted capital, you will probably need to rent. Because you are a foreigner, you will find it very challenging to rent commercial property at market rates. This immediately puts you at a cost disadvantage in relation to your competitors who will be paying market rent. Depending on what sort of lease you sign, there may be all sorts of additional charges such as "bonds" and "key money" that you will never get back. You may need to budget for redecorating or renovating the property before it is suitable for your business. If the rental value of the property increases substantially (maybe as a result of your renovations smile.png ) the landlord will most likely use all sorts of tricks to try and get you out. If your business is a run away success, the landlord will likely double or treble your rent at the end of the lease. You can forget about any legal redress it will take too long, be too expensive or simply not exist in the same way you are used to at home.

The few foreigners I have seen make money here all had one thing in common, they had already run successful businesses in their home country and they had a reliable Thai partner. In addition, many were also wealthy enough to purchase a commercial property thus avoiding potential problems with landlords.

Not sure exactly what your work background is but there are many happily living here who earn their money offshore. This is probably a more practical approach to staying in Thailand long term. Don't want to sound too negative but I wish someone had given me some of this advice 3 million baht ago smile.png

mngmn thanks so much for your lengthy and thorough post. I was recently told about landlords doubling/trebling rent when a farang business is doing well and we had the conversation about why they would do that, force the farang out and the thai being left with no business? Doesn't make sense unless their sole purpose is to use the farang to jazz the place up and then take over? I have also looked into key money etc and just find that a rip off, paying a large amount for nothing.

My work background I was a carpet fitter/floorlayer so no chance of that helping me out here but, I have sales experience and dealing with people via telephone or face to face so maybe that might be a possible route. But as for computer work I am not very advanced in that dept, but am a quick learner

mngmn - Although I would seriously consider that option, I used to be a subby and need your own van, so to buy a van for 4 or 5 months of a year would seem impractical? Or do your friends have a way of renting a vehicle? To be honest it would be something I would do if it was practical. Tell me more if you could . . .

yes elviajero i see what you mean. i see Buckbee's point that he doesnt want to pay more or less the same as a 60 day for a 30 day extension AND have the grief of that extra excursion but like you say, each to their own, the situation may suit me to do the extra 30 days each time.

If I was prepared to 2 live in a neighbouring country, how long would I need to 'live' in said neighbouring country before return?

Theres no simple answer to that question. If you want to live somewhere else for a while then stay as long as you want. If the only reason for living elsewhere is to kill time between visa applications then the time you need to stay there will depend on the time you need to kill.

As I see it. If you want to make a life in Thailand then get yourself a double entry Tourist visa. Extend it twice, thereby, giving yourself 6 months in the country to find your feet. If you decide Thailand is for you then leave the country every 6 months to get another double entry visa and repeat until they say you can't have anymore. If at that point you have a few months before reaching 50 then you can remain out of the country until you're 50 or consider other options at the time. Your medium term aim is to get through the next 3 years as best you can and once you reach 50 get yourself a non-immigration 'O' visa which gives the option for extending your stay indefinitely.

It's always good to have a plan, but regulations change, so for now just get the Tourist visa and review your options on its expiry.

Thailand is a fantastic country to live in, but the authorities don't make it easy for us to settle here even for those of us that are married and have children. The bureaucracy is frustrating to say the least, and only worthwhile if you truly want to live here, and you will only know that by living here.

Ultimately, if you are determined to stay here then learn the language as quick as you can as that will open up so many more opportunities for you both personally and in business.

Theres no simple answer to that question. If you want to live somewhere else for a while then stay as long as you want. If the only reason for living elsewhere is to kill time between visa applications then the time you need to stay there will depend on the time you need to kill.

As I see it. If you want to make a life in Thailand then get yourself a double entry Tourist visa. Extend it twice, thereby, giving yourself 6 months in the country to find your feet. If you decide Thailand is for you then leave the country every 6 months to get another double entry visa and repeat until they say you can't have anymore. If at that point you have a few months before reaching 50 then you can remain out of the country until you're 50 or consider other options at the time. Your medium term aim is to get through the next 3 years as best you can and once you reach 50 get yourself a non-immigration 'O' visa which gives the option for extending your stay indefinitely.

It's always good to have a plan, but regulations change, so for now just get the Tourist visa and review your options on its expiry.

Thailand is a fantastic country to live in, but the authorities don't make it easy for us to settle here even for those of us that are married and have children. The bureaucracy is frustrating to say the least, and only worthwhile if you truly want to live here, and you will only know that by living here.

Ultimately, if you are determined to stay here then learn the language as quick as you can as that will open up so many more opportunities for you both personally and in business.

summed it up perfectly - thank you, and like mngmn says, I can always return to UK and make a few quid ;)

you kinda said what I was thinking

I would plan a trip to Veintaine Laos for a double entry tourist visa, I did this my self to get to age 50. 2000 baht for visa and this will get you six months stay in Thailand . Then you will have time to find a good language school. I will warn you that immigration can really mess with you on this. Being able to read and write some in Thai has already been reported here. Instant message me if you want some advice on going to Veintaine. Good luck. I am in chonburi city that is about an hour north of Pattaya.

mngmn - Although I would seriously consider that option, I used to be a subby and need your own van, so to buy a van for 4 or 5 months of a year would seem impractical? Or do your friends have a way of renting a vehicle? To be honest it would be something I would do if it was practical. Tell me more if you could . . .

I think one guy used to live at his mum's house and leave his vehicle there when he was away.

• Like 1

Well you get a double entry for same as 30days (well 100Bt more) so that 120days for your money or 30 ! don't expect immigration be a walk in the park when you on 3rd or 4th visa & milking every entry for 30day extension.

Tourist visas are still quite easy obtained & entering via land borders not much issue. You will easily get 2 years plus on visas from laos, cambodia , bali etc. Savannakhet is far more relaxing than Vientiane where queues are long & touts & everyone are attempting to rape your wallet.

Food is good & large bottle of ice cold beer sat by the mekong river is 50bt, you only in savannakhet for one evening & night so by time you eat, have a drink shower & sleep it next day & you picking up visa & making your way back. For first timer it good learning ground.

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

Twenty years ago, at the same age as you, I had similar ideas about leaving the UK for a new life in Thailand. I had little capital, but some self-employed business experience. I made it work within a few years, but it was a continuous struggle. You really need to think seriously about your future. At this stage, the visa is the least of your worries. Best of luck; you're sure going to need it – as well as the right partner! Don't burn your UK bridges as that would be your biggest mistake so far.

If your work background is mostly manual, I'd say no hope in Thailand. There's a surplus of Thais who will work for 300- 400 baht a day, and some are quite skilled. There are also laws that prevent falangs from engaging in work a Thai can do. And you need a work permit.

Be extremely careful with a joint venture e.g. a shop, bar etc. in partnership with a Thai. While there are some success stories, a lot end in tears.

I agree 3 million baht will not go far in Thailand, unless it's supported by regular income such as a pension.

Teaching English is an option; however, you would need some form of accreditation such as a TEFL certificate. From what I hear, the pay is poor and you are at the mercy of the education system here, which has driven quite a few falangs to drink and depression.

Three million is not very much money. It might last you five years if you're very careful. I hope you will have a regular retirement income. Good luck!

I'm not sure that starting a business in Thailand is the smartest plan, have you looked into making money online? That way you can "Work" from wherever you have decent internet access.

Hi JB300 - I have wandered about making money online but my work background is manual so wouldn't really have a clue where to start or what business would be good, as I fear that anything worthwhile would be already up and running with much competition . . . would you have any suggestions as I am open to any ideas or thoughts.

I do make my living online. Yes, it's a hellish crowded space but the real trick is to do what you know - if your experience is in manual work, teach people how to do it - a lot of manual work is highly skilled even if it's not valued by snobbish society, start small but learn to effectively buy profitable traffic and learn to market to your subscribers. A Word Press blog, plus Aweber (for generating a mailing list) plus some affiliate programs... can generate a healthy income but it takes time and a ton of effort.

• Like 1

It is also worth noting, that it's much easier to own a business in Cambodia than Thailand, visas are easier to come by and there are no restrictions on what barangs can do for a living. Again, skilled manual workers are hard to come by... 3 million Baht (if you live carefully) would carry you for 10 years in Cambodia or Northern Thailand but far less far in Bangkok.

OP. There are some very goods shares from the experiences of others. I don't give advice...only suggestions. They are: Go slowly. Evaluate all options. Use caution, particularly where money is involved. Enjoy life.

• Like 1