naive guy tired of making mistakes!

what can I say, my first thought when reading that somebody 47 yrs of age burns all the bridges behind him in the U.K. and likes to conquer Thailand, backed by 3 Million Baht - what was my first thought ? It hit me that it doesn't take long until "the penniless tosser at the bar" like another poster posted. . .

The hints here in the Visa Forum on how to spent the time between now and the date when you will be able to apply for a Non Imm O on retirement purpose (given that from your 3 M Baht, 800,000 plus will still be left after 3 years which I think is highly speculative) are quite helpful, but aside from that . . I wish you a lot of luck because you will need it. There's ziliion guys out there whose savings have molten quicker than a cone of icecream that dropped onto hot pavement.

You've been working as a carpet layer in the U.K., I'd like to share a good tipp with you, catch a flight to Florida USA two days after an F4 hurricane has hit and tell the boss that you are a roofmaker (it's really easy to adept) It will supply you with a kind of an income that comparably you will never find in Thailand, neither in Cambodia nor in VN.

I understand that you are a newbie, and it serves as kind of an excuse when it comes to not knowing more about the land you are determined to move and make a living in. Other forum members have already warned you about opting for a Thai business partner. I would have bought one or two apartments in the UK and rented them out, sort of having a soft trickle of some income, rather than arrive in the land of honey with 3 M that will last 3-5 years on the max, with not a penny to be seen again. Think about investments that include a revenue before heading out into the sun.

You can live on really small scale expenses in south East Asia if you use your common sense, but I suggest doing your homework first. Thailand does not allow many options to earn a living legally - work permit wise. Those that involve entrepreneurs, opening bars or resorts, all likely have had such businesses back in their home countries already and come to Thailand backed by some experience and most probably with a lot of cash ready to invest here. Make sure you have these assets or some steady income, before starting the adventure, or the adventure will eat your insides out.

Again, good luck!

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

what can I say, my first thought when reading that somebody 47 yrs of age burns all the bridges behind him in the U.K. and likes to conquer Thailand, backed by 3 Million Baht - what was my first thought ? It hit me that it doesn't take long until "the penniless tosser at the bar" like another poster posted. . .

The hints here in the Visa Forum on how to spent the time between now and the date when you will be able to apply for a Non Imm O on retirement purpose (given that from your 3 M Baht, 800,000 plus will still be left after 3 years which I think is highly speculative) are quite helpful, but aside from that . . I wish you a lot of luck because you will need it. There's ziliion guys out there whose savings have molten quicker than a cone of icecream that dropped onto hot pavement.

You've been working as a carpet layer in the U.K., I'd like to share a good tipp with you, catch a flight to Florida USA two days after an F4 hurricane has hit and tell the boss that you are a roofmaker (it's really easy to adept) It will supply you with a kind of an income that comparably you will never find in Thailand, neither in Cambodia nor in VN.

I understand that you are a newbie, and it serves as kind of an excuse when it comes to not knowing more about the land you are determined to move and make a living in. Other forum members have already warned you about opting for a Thai business partner. I would have bought one or two apartments in the UK and rented them out, sort of having a soft trickle of some income, rather than arrive in the land of honey with 3 M that will last 3-5 years on the max, with not a penny to be seen again. Think about investments that include a revenue before heading out into the sun.

You can live on really small scale expenses in south East Asia if you use your common sense, but I suggest doing your homework first. Thailand does not allow many options to earn a living legally - work permit wise. Those that involve entrepreneurs, opening bars or resorts, all likely have had such businesses back in their home countries already and come to Thailand backed by some experience and most probably with a lot of cash ready to invest here. Make sure you have these assets or some steady income, before starting the adventure, or the adventure will eat your insides out.

Again, good luck!

Thanks for your post crazygregg but this is now getting way out of hand!!

I have NOT burnt all my bridges in UK, I have simply sold my house as renting it out was not an option for financial reasons.

with 3m baht (60k) I could not buy 1 apt in UK let alone 2

My house sale cash is still in a bank account in the UK

My point about naivity was that I bought a SINGLE ENTRY VISA in the UK not giving myself enough time in Thailand hence now looking at my options in VN

I am NOT naive about life but at the same time I do NOT pretend to know everything, or even enough, which is why I joined this forum for good advice

I am here to search and find out what my best options are in this area, I have only been here 2 months (now in VN) so still have a lot to learn

If at the end of my search I find I cannot do what I came for, I will simply return back to the UK and take 6months there working and 6months here until the time comes when I can stay here.

I have been advised that I can go to Savannakhet for a double entry TR but someone told me today that they do not do them there anymore, only in Vientiane? Can anyone shed more light on this as I was looking at the bus route to Savannakhet only this morning!! I have tried to find a post about it on here but all I could find was something from 2014 and for a marriage visa

Thanks again

Savannakhet still does 2 entry tourist visas. Somebody gave you false info.

If they were not doing them you would see a topic on this forum about it.

ok thanks for that. I understand that you are very knowldegable on the visa subject so forgive me for asking . . . are you 100% on that as I could really not handle getting to Savannakhet only to be sent to Vientiane. I must agree with you that I thought there would be a subject about it on here if it wasn't so . . .

Savannakhet still does 2 entry tourist visas. Somebody gave you false info.

If they were not doing them you would see a topic on this forum about it.

ok thanks for that. I understand that you are very knowldegable on the visa subject so forgive me for asking . . . are you 100% on that as I could really not handle getting to Savannakhet only to be sent to Vientiane. I must agree with you that I thought there would be a subject about it on here if it wasn't so . . .

As I said there have been no reports of them not doing 2 entry visas.

Perhaps a person was not issued one for some unknown reason and is now spreading a false rumor. Some nationalities can only get single entry visas also.

But you will get one since your are from the UK.

• Like 1

What's a subby?

Someone who works for a company on a self employed basis, gets paid for the work he does rather than a salary or hourly rate, and a subby is not 'on the books'

Abbreviation of sub-contractor

Still doing them from personal experience

From bangkok, sahaphan roi-et Tour vip bus (counter 37, 3rd floor) from morchit bus terminal is about the best, cost is 622bt & have several buses at half hour intervals from around 7:30pm onward.

bus works well as transition times are almost perfect so once you at mukkdahan bus station you got time stretch your legs & grab a 50bt bus ticket to savannakhet, once over the bridge & through customs the bus takes you to savannakhet bus station which is about 1km from the consulate & can be walked to in 12 minutes & nice stroll in morning, no rush you got loads of time, paying for tuk-tuks or vip car just means you waste more money & sit outside the consulate for longer waiting for it to open.

On second day after collecting passport/visa, I walk back to bus station & grab next bus back, once in mukdahan you can grab ticket for return tour bus (no need pre-book as always have spare seats) - same company has small ticket office just to left of the lao bus ticket window.

The coffee shop in bus station is a gem & has great clean bathroom with sink etc & you can use power sockets for extra 20bt.

Do prepare all paperwork prior to arrival as much easier you need some passport size photos (40mmX30m roughly) i done this on notebook with photoshop.

Do have $35USD in nice clean crisp notes for the lao visa on entry.

* small notes useful in lao so collect 200bt in 20bt notes & couple of fifties as this handy for tuk-tuks buying a drink/snack etc in laos

link to lao visa form & thai consulate visa application form below

lao visa form >

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfSXpfMzB4aGltdDQ/view?usp=sharing

consulate application form >

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Ub2apq5-pfUVgxYjVET3RsUTg/view?usp=sharing

savanakhet thread with some ueful bits

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/page-10#entry8403063

Top tip: don't listen to people in bars etc, most know nothing besides chinese wisper talk & possibly never even been, best learning yourself & researching on here

Enjoy the trip, it quite pleasant one to do ...

• Like 2

Thanks Buckbee.

I will be arriving in Savannakhet from Hue in VN and that bus arrives at 6pm so I will need to stay overnight before submitting my application before 11am the following morning. I read on 1 of the links you posted that the visa is processed by around 4:30pm the same afternoon so all things being equal I would not need another night in Savannakhet, but could start my return to Mukdahan after receipt of my visa?

I take on board about small denominations of money and the fact that I need dollars for the visa, I have also been advised that I will need some LAK (kip) when I enter Laos from VN -will I need any in Savannakhet?

And do you advise I have my visa application downloaded and filled out on arrival or is it ok to be given the form at the consulate and fill in there?

Thanks Buckbee.

I will be arriving in Savannakhet from Hue in VN and that bus arrives at 6pm so I will need to stay overnight before submitting my application before 11am the following morning. I read on 1 of the links you posted that the visa is processed by around 4:30pm the same afternoon so all things being equal I would not need another night in Savannakhet, but could start my return to Mukdahan after receipt of my visa?

I take on board about small denominations of money and the fact that I need dollars for the visa, I have also been advised that I will need some LAK (kip) when I enter Laos from VN -will I need any in Savannakhet?

And do you advise I have my visa application downloaded and filled out on arrival or is it ok to be given the form at the consulate and fill in there?

Sorry yes you did say have the paperwork ready on arrival!!

You will need another night as Savannakhet consulate do not hand back visas on same day anymore, you pick it up between 2pm & 4:30pm next day.

No need for kip in Savannakhet.

Forms are handy done in advance, very much so for lao visa on arrival.

The consulate forms in savannakhet can be done in litle bamboo lean-to hut which a german guy runs, they hand out the form & think do photos if needed, no idea on fees as never used it but seen others muddling through it.

This German guy is right out front of the savannakhet consulate to the left of the gate.

got a few concrete cast tables to sit at & few snack/drink vendors about.

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

Thanks Buckbee.

Sorry yes you did say have the paperwork ready on arrival!!

If not easy sort your forms at current location then just run with it, having ID photos will be handy, you could be lucky & coach you using hands out forms for lao visa, obviously you can grab one at border but it can make things slow & awkward on the day while having it all in hand makes process smooth, I have copies in my bag & normally fill them out at quiet moment on bus.

Ok so say I arrive in Savannakhet on a Monday evening 6pm, I submit my application on Tues before 11am and will not receive my documents back until Weds afternoon?

On Weds afternoon I get a bus from Savannakhet across to Mukdahan - can I then get on an overnight bus (Et Roi) from Mukdahan to BKK?

Sorry to be so anal but I like to be certain

Also, I see the pdf's you sent . . . I take it one is for my arrival in Laos from VN (Laos visa form) and the other (visa application Savannakhet) is for my TR visa, so best to download both and fill out while here in VN?

Again apologies but it is the 1st time I have done this without help.

When in Savannakhet you can use Thai Baht or USD, but you will get a poor exchange rate and usually the change is given in Kip.

When I visit Laos I usually exchange some money in to Kip. I use that first and only use Thai Baht or Dollars if the Kip runs out. Even if you do have some Kip left over, you will no doubt be visiting again, so hang on to it for the next trip.

I hope you are not planning your trip for this week. The consulate will only be open Wednesday and Friday due to Thai and Lao holidays.

Hi Joe - no, no chance of that! Im not a fan of Songkran so I will bide my time and see what suits me best after the 20th but another wise piece of advice thanks

When in Savannakhet you can use Thai Baht or USD, but you will get a poor exchange rate and usually the change is given in Kip.

When I visit Laos I usually exchange some money in to Kip. I use that first and only use Thai Baht or Dollars if the Kip runs out. Even if you do have some Kip left over, you will no doubt be visiting again, so hang on to it for the next trip.

Ok so i see the exchange rate is around 8000kip to the dollar so if I need a 2 night stay, how much LAK would be sufficient to see me through? If I bring food and drink with me from VN to Sav, then I would need enough for 2 nights/days for accom and food & drink? I dont drink loads just enough to chill out. Or will the accom take US dollars?

I hope you are not planning your trip for this week. The consulate will only be open Wednesday and Friday due to Thai and Lao holidays.

Hi Joe - no, no chance of that! Im not a fan of Songkran so I will bide my time and see what suits me best after the 20th but another wise piece of advice thanks

Just checking.

You will OK until May 1st and 5th when they will be closed for holidays again.

• Like 1

Ok so i see the exchange rate is around 8000kip to the dollar so if I need a 2 night stay, how much LAK would be sufficient to see me through? If I bring food and drink with me from VN to Sav, then I would need enough for 2 nights/days for accom and food & drink? I dont drink loads just enough to chill out. Or will the accom take US dollars?

I can't really advise how much you need as I don't know the cost of hotels in Savannakhet, but I am sure all hotels will accept USD. The Laotians are always keen to take USD and Thai baht.

Given this holiday period you might want to book a hotel online. My experience of Savannakhet is outdated, but the one and only time I went there I had preselected a few hotels which were all full. I found one easily with the help of a friendly local so no drama, but it's worth considering. I don't think the cost of booking with an agent is much different to paying direct to the hotel, and it can save some hassle.

• Like 1

Ok so say I arrive in Savannakhet on a Monday evening 6pm, I submit my application on Tues before 11am and will not receive my documents back until Weds afternoon?

On Weds afternoon I get a bus from Savannakhet across to Mukdahan - can I then get on an overnight bus (Et Roi) from Mukdahan to BKK?

Also, I see the pdf's you sent . . . I take it one is for my arrival in Laos from VN (Laos visa form) and the other (visa application Savannakhet) is for my TR visa, so best to download both and fill out while here in VN?

When I say without help, I mean with no-one sat next to me haha

I hope it didnt sound like you guys werent helping me facepalm.gif

When I say without help, I mean with no-one sat next to me haha

I hope it didnt sound like you guys werent helping me facepalm.gif

When at thai consulate Savannakhet if you go to your right from consulate gates & keep on same side of road the bus station is 12-14minutes walk & will be on your right. tuk-tuks will want take you to border but the charge is high plus you got get bus anyway to cross bridge so you gain nothing besides lighter wallet.

When you get to Mukdahan bus station, you will be able buy a ticket for the sahaphan roi-et tour vip bus to bkk no problem.

Ticket office is to your left (second in from left corner) when the coffee shop is to your right, just do that first then grab an iced tea or coffee in the coffee shop. Buses go at various times but the VIP ones which go from around 7pm 7:30pm & 8pm have shortest travel time so taking non vip does not mean you will be back in bkk much or any quicker.

As for money I would stick with baht & dollar, tuk tuks like 20 or 40 baht or more if you not stern, dollar will cost more as they would want 2dollar or 40bt so dollar costing you 25Bt more. Hotel will price & take baht generally. I found it cheap enough in baht, I paid 150Bt for a pork steak with mushroom sauce (it was real good), 50Bt for large bottle of lao beer & hotel room was 400Bt. I was priced in kip for my meal & they done the conversion which was as good as I could get anywhere else plus had change in baht which good.

If you can download & print the forms in VN & have ID photos then good good good. Actual thai consulate is not such a issue as the German guy will help you outside the consulate with form & photo & even has glue on the tables to stick it on your form.

Lao visa is handy have prepared as saves time, if don't have photo they will want a tip ;-)

I like being organised & make trips smooth & stress free so I have paperwork in advance & keep a bunch of ID photos I printed on A4 sheet & trimmed to size in a zip bag with m3 tape strip already on them. Have a working pen in your pocket too :-)

Songkran indeed sucks, fortunately i'm safe in singapore ...

Not a lot to see in Savannakhet but think you'll enjoy the travel experience & your double tourist visa :-)

Normal paper, was half decent not the worst you can get, used it on all my forms & never an issue. I had about 20 on one sheet, done one image (cropped head/shoulders) & sized it right then duplicated it in pdf & went down my local print shop & 5baht for colour. I had a roll of double sided m3 tape so with strip of that down back it stiffens it up & if your pic good resolution they look very very good (looked very much same as matt/satin finish photo really), they not super fussy like a passport application.

• Like 1

Ah ok so to clarify, instead of going for my last 30 day addition, I go back to Savanakhet and buy a new visa for 60 days and then add the 30 to that? Is that what you mean? And if so, how would that benefit me if I 'sacrifice' the last 30 days?

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos. That will you two 60 day entries.

You can get a 30 day extension for each entry.

Not getting an extension for both entries is loosing 60 days of total stay you can get from the visa. That means getting one extra 2 entry tourist visa each year.

He was just voicing his opinion and personal preferences.

Hi there Joe, after scouring through google and other threads/posts on here I think I will be going to Savannakhet next week from VN and applying for the double entry TR.

Am I correct in thinking the following . . .

1) I am obliged to stay in Thailand for the full 60 days before going for the 30 day extension or would I be allowed to go up to say, Myanmar within those 60 days, or indeed within the 30 day extension?

2) The price of the TR visa is 2000 baht?

3) The price for the 30 day extension is 1900 baht?

Thanks

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah ok so to clarify, instead of going for my last 30 day addition, I go back to Savanakhet and buy a new visa for 60 days and then add the 30 to that? Is that what you mean? And if so, how would that benefit me if I 'sacrifice' the last 30 days?

You can get a 2 entry tourist visa in Laos. That will you two 60 day entries.

You can get a 30 day extension for each entry.

Not getting an extension for both entries is loosing 60 days of total stay you can get from the visa. That means getting one extra 2 entry tourist visa each year.

He was just voicing his opinion and personal preferences.

Hi there Joe, after scouring through google and other threads/posts on here I think I will be going to Savannakhet next week from VN and applying for the double entry TR.

Am I correct in thinking the following . . .

1) I am obliged to stay in Thailand for the full 60 days before going for the 30 day extension or would I be allowed to go up to say, Myanmar within those 60 days, or indeed within the 30 day extension?

2) The price of the TR visa is 2000 baht?

3) The price for the 30 day extension is 1900 baht?

Thanks

If you wish to leave/return during the 60 days/30 days extension period a re-entry permit (1000Bht ) will be required if you wish to keep your permission to stay date alive.

30 day extensions to the 60 day entry allowed by a tourist visa are best applied for one or two weeks prior the "leave by" date. Nothing is lost by so doing.

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1

If planning short trips away you best planning them for when your first 60 days expires, have your trip & when come in actvate your second entry then do extension on second entry. That way you get 5months plus time you spent on trip out the one visa & save about 4,000bt plus no need do a day trip border just for activation reasons as you killed 2 birds in one stone with the trip.

To many people try & scrounge every extension etc & it not really needed or good use of visa funding. I done the above & visited cambodia, myanmar, malaysia, singapore, hongkong, vietnam, lao between visa 60 day entries & new visa applications

• Like 2