Ford Ranger Thread

I have been looking at the new Ranger and I really like the looks. If i get one i would get the 4x4 version. I have not driven either the 2.2 or the 3.2 diesel but I wonder if the price is worth it to get the 3.2? Also i like the "true red" but this can only be had in the 2.2 version. Why is that, it seems they are limiting their market. If I get the 3.2 i will have to get black when I really would want red.

Anyway what does the community think of this truck? Worth the money? Better options?

Thx

a little search on here you find a big long thread deadicated to the joys and woes of ranger onership.

Firetruck red is hideous, not as hideous as the pukey orange. go for the black or white versions of the 3.2 wildtrak.

You can buy the 2.2 version in blue manual 4x4 if my memory serves me correct?

I'm going for a test drive in a 3.2 Wildtrak this afternoon ... I'll give you my thoughts later ... tried the 2.2 Wildtrak at the Motor Show ... really liked it. I have ordered a T+ Everest but may change my mind.

• Like 1

I'm going for a test drive in a 3.2 Wildtrak this afternoon ... I'll give you my thoughts later ... tried the 2.2 Wildtrak at the Motor Show ... really liked it. I have ordered a T+ Everest but may change my mind.

Jassy, you seem very well off buying all these trucks and suvs, can you share the secret or share the wealth :)

Okay, the 2.2L is more fun to drive that the 3.2 ... there is a delay on the 3.2L when you floor it. It's quick though.

The ride is just a little harder than my V-Cross. The steering on the 3.2L is just a little lighter than that on the 2.2L

Now, apparently they are not building anymore 2.2Ls or 3.2Ls and there is already a shortage of certain colours.

The facelift model is due sometime, hopefully delivered before next year, there is no queue yet. Probably the 2.2L will come first.

Next years tax rise will be around 100K on the 2.2L but probably over 200K on the 3.2L.

On the 2.2L you can add the reversing camera mirror (some sort of Ford mod) and also the bleepers but no picture with them. No chance to add cruise control. You can't have the electrically adjusted drivers seat

The proper Ford roller cover is 90K but something very similar is available for less than 30K.

Ford insurance is about 22K-23K. Extra 2Year warranty is about another 20K.

The guy who gave the demo is a really switched on guy, very pleasant and his English excellent. PM me if you want his contact details.

For James ... it will be one or the other ... not both! I prefer the truck due to better rear view ... I don't particularly like the tunnel view from the interior mirror on the SUV.

• Like 2

Where did you get a test drive ? I tried everywhere around Pattaya, Chonburi and Rayong. - " No have mister " The only test drive I was offered was in a 2.2 manual.

• Like 1

@OP: As JAS21 points out, while the minor change has been unveiled, but it's not yet for sale, and Ford haven't yet given an actual release date.

If you're looking at one of the higher trim levels, you should certainly consider waiting for the minor change. The interior is a huge improvement over the current model - gone is the Fiesta look dash with the tiny monochrome LCD in the dash, in is the new Everest interior with the 8" touch screen in the dash. The exterior looks are much more masculine too, IMHO.

• Like 1

@OP: As JAS21 points out, while the minor change has been unveiled, but it's not yet for sale, and Ford haven't yet given an actual release date.

If you're looking at one of the higher trim levels, you should certainly consider waiting for the minor change. The interior is a huge improvement over the current model - gone is the Fiesta look dash with the tiny monochrome LCD in the dash, in is the new Everest interior with the 8" touch screen in the dash. The exterior looks are much more masculine too, IMHO.

Yes you are right that it does have a much better interior.

I'm a bit worried about the extra 200,000 that was talked about and an unknown delay.

No one knows when or how much the new truck will be?

Thx

Edit: I saw online that they expect it to be sold in Australia in Q3. Thailand should be sooner?

Edited by ChaangNoi

It seems there's some confusion over tax changes for pickups and PPV's here.

PPV's like the Everest will change from 20% to 25% / 30% depending on their CO2 emissions.

Single cab pickups change from 3% to 3% / 5%.

Extra cab pickups change from 3% to 5% / 7%.

Double cab pickups change from 12% to 12% / 15%.

In all cases, the lower number is for CO2 emissions < 200gm/KM, the higher number for CO2 emissions > 200gm/KM.

Ford's current version 2.2L makes 203gm/KM - I'd say we can safely expect they'll tweak that to under 200, so there will be no tax difference on their 2.2L pickups.

There's some rumors around that they've improved the FE of the 3.2L by around 16%, which while very good if true, will still leave it around 230gm/KM so it will get taxed slightly more.

All extra cabs will be going up - the current tax system counts doors, the new system counts whether there's space behind the driver.

Edited by IMHO

Edit: I saw online that they expect it to be sold in Australia in Q3. Thailand should be sooner?

Australia might still get it first - they very clearly get preferential access to the 3.2L......

PPV's like the Everest will change from 20% to 25% / 30% depending on their CO2 emissions.

In all cases, the lower number is for CO2 emissions < 200gm/KM, the higher number for CO2 emissions > 200gm/KM.

Ford's current version 2.2L makes 203gm/KM - I'd say we can safely expect they'll tweak that to under 200, so there will be no tax difference on their 2.2L pickups.

There's some rumors around that they've improved the FE of the 3.2L by around 16%, which while very good if true, will still leave it around 230gm/KM so it will get taxed slightly more.

All extra cabs will be going up - the current tax system counts doors, the new system counts whether there's space behind the driver.

Like many I would love to know what is happening with the tax increase. Two different Ford dealerships have told me similar figures. I would have preferred to buy next year ... it might not come anyway this year!! ...

I'm sorry to quote you from the past FROM the Everest thread...BUT ... are you saying the same now or is the above your latest updated information...I'm now even more confused ... sorry.

I wonder what's going to happen with the orders that spill over to next year, when the excise tax on the 3.2L increases from 20% to 30%.... and the 2.2L from 20% to 25%

It's very hard to say... for all we know, the tax increase might already be priced in (but that's not so likely), or prices could rise anywhere from 100K to 200K+ next year.

In short, there's really only 2 categories that will benefit - eco cars, and cars with engines < 3,000cc making more than 220HP.

Edited by JAS21

Like many I would love to know what is happening with the tax increase. Two different Ford dealerships have told me similar figures. I would have preferred to buy next year ... it might not come anyway this year!! ...

I'm sorry to quote you from the past FROM the Everest thread...BUT ... are you saying the same now or is the above your latest updated information...I'm now even more confused ... sorry.

I wonder what's going to happen with the orders that spill over to next year, when the excise tax on the 3.2L increases from 20% to 30%.... and the 2.2L from 20% to 25%

It's very hard to say... for all we know, the tax increase might already be priced in (but that's not so likely), or prices could rise anywhere from 100K to 200K+ next year.

In short, there's really only 2 categories that will benefit - eco cars, and cars with engines < 3,000cc making more than 220HP.

I'm saying the exact same thing smile.png

That thread was about the Everest, so I was only talking about PPV taxes. This thread is about the Ranger, which is a pickup and taxed differently.

Edited by IMHO

I'm saying the exact same thing smile.png

That thread was about the Everest, so I was only talking about PPV taxes. This thread is about the Ranger, which is a pickup and taxed differently.

Thanks ... I wondered if there was a difference that's why I bolded EVEREST in my comments. Everest rise is bad news then! Edited by JAS21

I'm surprised that anyone would go Chevy when there is Isuzu ...

Why? The top of line Chevy, has more options, bigger engine, cheaper and is in stock, isn't that enough?

Dealership locations maybe a factor, for example in my province the nearest GM, Ford and Mazda dealers are over 120kms away. Two mid size towns a lot closer all have Isuzu, Toyota and Nissan dealers.

• Like 1

Ford's are way overpriced. Inventory is non-existent. When I was looking at them a year ago, I was quoted a year lead time for the vehicle I wanted. I went with chevy and glad I did.

That was then, this is now. The only Ranger that had anything like a one year waiting list was the 3.2... and that wait list was from two or three years ago. Back then, I didn't wait or flounce to another brand so bought the 2.2 Ranger. It took a week only because Songkran got in the way.

Two months ago, I changed up to the 3.2 and it was ready the next day from a choice of three on the premises. This was an up-country dealership too.

PS. Glad you like your second choice.

• Like 2

Ford's are way overpriced. Inventory is non-existent. When I was looking at them a year ago, I was quoted a year lead time for the vehicle I wanted. I went with chevy and glad I did.

That was then, this is now. The only Ranger that had anything like a one year waiting list was the 3.2... and that wait list was from two or three years ago. Back then, I didn't wait or flounce to another brand so bought the 2.2 Ranger. It took a week only because Songkran got in the way.

Two months ago, I changed up to the 3.2 and it was ready the next day from a choice of three on the premises. This was an up-country dealership too.

PS. Glad you like your second choice.

Well on the bright side - at least you didn't pony up 1.4 million to be one of the few the proud the machines that paid 300k over the selling price from someone who got one early and wanted to make a huge profit on some desperate 3.2 fan.

I got a top of the line Chevy, 2.8 automatic, 4x4, cruise control, all leather interior, rear back up camera, GPS, and every other option for 930,000 in Phuket little over a year ago. No other manufacture could touch the price. Of course I looked at Ford, Im American. I looked at every truck dealer and after comparing prices, and companies, it was a no brainer for me.

I have the 2.2, sorry James, the 'hideous' red Ranger. Bought it nearly 2 years ago and I couldn't have been happier. I'd had a couple of decades back in the US when I wouldn't have touched another Ford with a 10ft pole. But when I was looking for a truck at the time the price and features were hard to beat.

The interior could be better, but it's not bad at all. The fuel economy is good with fairly decent performance, and, touch wood, so far the reliability has been great, the main reason I was so anti Ford back in the States.

And sorry, but I think the Red is awesome! LOL

post-97442-0-65248000-1428926314_thumb.j

• Like 1

From the OP;

Also i like the "true red" but this can only be had in the 2.2 version. Why is that, it seems they are limiting their market. If I get the 3.2 i will have to get black when I really would want red.

I think the top-line 3.2 only comes in white, black and shit orange although their website shows grey and silver (not what the sales lady told me). However, I think you could order a True Red one but have to wait as well as pay extra?

They have also reduced the range of colours available on the top-line 2.2's, dropping the Gunmetal Blue (which was actually a Mazda export colour) and the vaguely gold metallic one. The basic 2.2's are only in white, silver and grey now.

Ford's website has a page on the new 2015 Ranger that doesn't have much detail about the interior changes but you get a good idea what the nose job turned out like.

Edited by NanLaew

a little search on here you find a big long thread deadicated to the joys and woes of ranger onership.

Firetruck red is hideous, not as hideous as the pukey orange. go for the black or white versions of the 3.2 wildtrak.

I guess you don't like red!? There are some real winners on this site!

I guess you don't like red!? There are some real winners on this site!

Welcome to the motoring forum, please state your colour preference upon entering. Me. .black, ace... silver, tranny. ..blue

Shall we put you down in the red camp?

• Like 1