Car Bomb in Samui

dom samui

Seems like radicalize stupidity is creeping northward from the south. Or some other party has an agenda too. It'll be interesting to see who claims responsibility, if anyone, or to see who the authorities beat a confession out of discover through diligent detective work.

I was about 400meters away at the time. I could feel the shock wave of the explosion in the ground! My first reaction was its a Bomb.

The motives may well be Political. The other posibility could be Islamic Insurgents from the south. I won't be going anywhere near venues where Israels contregate as they may be a target. Who ever is responsible, one thing is sure, Tourism will be affected!

I don't know if this is related to the incidents in the south. However, for a long time already I thought for myself, how long will it take before the southerners take their problems to Bangkok or other areas where it hurts and get much more (international) attention than with blowing up small motorbike bombs in Hat Yai.

This could well be disastrous for the tourist industry, if this gets plenty of coverage from the international press then people will stay away.

Thailand has plenty to pull in visitors but as soon as its perceived to be unsafe its game over. I'm surprised it's tucked away in the local forum, this is huge news.

Right now it is already all around the world.

• Like 1

This could well be disastrous for the tourist industry, if this gets plenty of coverage from the international press then people will stay away.

Thailand has plenty to pull in visitors but as soon as its perceived to be unsafe its game over. I'm surprised it's tucked away in the local forum, this is huge news.

I don't doubt, news like this spreads fast but to add to my previous post about Thailand making international headlines. On the Aus Google news I had to dig for it, a deliberate search came up with it, it was not headlined at all. Odd.

Further, tourists do not seem to be the target. There are no tourists at Central's parking basement that late, as also evidenced by the fact that the injured were all Thai as far as I understand.

Central shopping mall itself could however be the target, as it represents the socalled rich and powerful Bangkok elite. It was also a Central mall that got burned down in Bangkok in 2010, although that had probably more to do with the fact that it was located right next to the demonstration.

What a load of rubbish ! no tourists 1 italian girl was injured, there are plenty of tourists around central get your facts straight !

RT @191Thailand: Mobile phone footage shows shoppers running in panic after an explosion in a shopping mall car park on Koh Samui http://www.reuters.com/video/2015/04/11/blast-sparks-panic-at-thai-mall?videoId=363812968&videoChannel=1

You have to wonder why/how the general public are allowed to freely walk about and photo a potential crime scene. Amazing Thailand.

Does not matter here as they probably have no forensic people competent enough to carry out a thorough examination of the scene anyway.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is related to the incidents in the south. However, for a long time already I thought for myself, how long will it take before the southerners take their problems to Bangkok or other areas where it hurts and get much more (international) attention than with blowing up small motorbike bombs in Hat Yai.

So far, a little over 50 years.

You assume they want international attention. That's your assumption, not their stated goal.

Further, tourists do not seem to be the target. There are no tourists at Central's parking basement that late, as also evidenced by the fact that the injured were all Thai as far as I understand.

Central shopping mall itself could however be the target, as it represents the socalled rich and powerful Bangkok elite. It was also a Central mall that got burned down in Bangkok in 2010, although that had probably more to do with the fact that it was located right next to the demonstration.

What a load of rubbish ! no tourists 1 italian girl was injured, there are plenty of tourists around central get your facts straight !

You are right. The underground car park at Central is a tourist hotspot every night at 22:30. I even hear Lonely Planet will include it in their next edition. How stupid of me. Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 1

I don't doubt, news like this spreads fast but to add to my previous post about Thailand making international headlines. On the Aus Google news I had to dig for it, a deliberate search came up with it, it was not headlined at all. Odd.

I've had friends from Australia and the UK contact me about this Incident. Since the Koh Tao murders, every Incident in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao is reported!

So far, a little over 50 years.

You assume they want international attention. That's your assumption, not their stated goal.

So, they blew up Lee Gardens to get a mention on local radio..... coffee1.gif

Samui and Suratthani is yellow territory.

5 Years anniversary of the 2010 crackdown.

Ah a little too convenient isn't it.... ever heard of false flag?

Late enough, around 22h30 that it doesn't damage too much tourism but big enough that we can sell to those pesky farangs the need for complete power.

Edited by firestar

Security authorities say the car bomb attack at Central Festival shopping mall in Koh Samui Friday night was believed to be the work of the same group of perpetrators responsible for recent bombings in Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/816619-car-bomb-attack-is-a-paid-job-by-same-group-of-perpetrators-in-recent-bangkok-bombings/

Security authorities say the car bomb attack at Central Festival shopping mall in Koh Samui Friday night was believed to be the work of the same group of perpetrators responsible for recent bombings in Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/816619-car-bomb-attack-is-a-paid-job-by-same-group-of-perpetrators-in-recent-bangkok-bombings/

The bangkok bombing reaked of false flag, now again people were getting agitated with recent developments, nothing like another little bomb to get them back on board.

• Like 1

So, they blew up Lee Gardens to get a mention on local radio.....

I'm certain they also couldn't care less about getting a mention on local radio, for Lee Gardens, the attempt to assassinate the high institution in the 1970s, the 54 known beheadings in recent years - or any of it.

But do go on if you have any primary-source information about why these people blow up things in the South. Or kill or terrorise or decapitate or burn. You know, opinions are worth what you pay for a click on the home, here, of The Official Thai Visa Anti-Terrorism Squad.

But do you have actual information about it? Because I've never seen or heard an authoritative voice say they are after "mentions" of any type on their violence. I'm unaware of a single tract, interview, broadcast, banner or even town meeting where they "mentioned" their violence.

You are certainly welcome to your OPINION about whether they are attention seekers when they kill and maim and blow things up, but you are not entitled to claim this as Truth. It's my opinion they are not after any mentions at all. They have a political and paramilitary programme that they have relentlessly pursued for decades, and it has never included propaganda emphasising their violence. Even when Gadhafi and then the Ayatollahs were bankrolling them, they never brought up the violence.

To say that they do these violent things to get a mention of any kind is nothing but mind-reading and transference. Until you reveal yourself as a spokesperson for one of these gangs, or produce some source material, you only have a personal opinion, and it's not enlightened.

Not that I know anything about this. But the bomb exploded on the 5 year anniversary of the army crackdown on the red shirts in bangkok (10/04/2010), and the red shirts have recently been denied holding a rally on 10/04/2015 to mourn the dead.

Correct and yesterday messages have been intercepted on social media at 10pm from Surrathani regarding joining together from Red Shirt supporters and against sec 44.

So some members do some research before dismissing some peoples statements.

Wife just told me that the Co-op that was targeted in Suratthani was owned by Suthep so I can see the link there...but why Central?

A lot of Thais on social media are blaming this one on Red Shirts/Thaksin.

By their logic:

- car was falsely registered in Chonburi, parts of which are a UDD stronghold.

- car originated in Yala. Bomb part suppliers to the Nonthaburi UDD bomber who blew himself up were from Yala.

- April 10, 5 years ago... the day that the RTA responded to a UDD attack on their 1st Army Barracks with the clearance operation at Khok Wua intersection, where the Black Shirts first showed up and 25+ got killed.

- The warehouse in Surat belonged to Suthep.

- Central Festival represents the elite.

- As the bomb was planted underground in the parking lot, it was not meant to cause death as much as to send a message of discontent. This supports the argument that the bomb was not planted by Islamist insurgents.

In a way I hope they are right... we don't want the Islamist insurgency involved in tourist areas. Red Shirts on the other hand, well, their record of blowing up things where they don't live is well documented.

Still, though, could be anything, including a false flag operation.

Why would the red shirts go all the way to Samui? They could put such a device in any city car park they could, why not Patong/Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or any other major tourist location ?

Makes no sense to detonate/plant this in Samui. This is another convenient way to justify article 44, the same thing happened after thenBangkok incident incident after trying to justify Martial Law remaining.

There is a strong resentment towards the Junta after the army admitted error in killing the 4 guys in the south, tensions and resentment are running high.

Keep an open mind, people sometimes they only see what they want to see, and literally the red mist descends and clouds their thoughts!!

• Like 1

Why would the red shirts go all the way to Samui? They could put such a device in any city car park they could, why not Patong/Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai or any other major tourist location ?

Makes no sense to detonate/plant this in Samui. This is another convenient way to justify article 44, the same thing happened after thenBangkok incident incident after trying to justify Martial Law remaining.

There is a strong resentment towards the Junta after the army admitted error in killing the 4 guys in the south, tensions and resentment are running high.

Keep an open mind, people sometimes they only see what they want to see, and literally the red mist descends and clouds their thoughts!!

Precisely, why would Muslims or Redshirts go all the way to samui then detonate a bomb after 22h30? You'd think a group mad as hell would be hell bent on maximum destruction. Unless...

Edited by firestar
  • Like 1

Wife just told me that the Co-op that was targeted in Suratthani was owned by Suthep so I can see the link there...but why Central?

A lot of Thais on social media are blaming this one on Red Shirts/Thaksin.

By their logic:

- car was falsely registered in Chonburi, parts of which are a UDD stronghold.

- car originated in Yala. Bomb part suppliers to the Nonthaburi UDD bomber who blew himself up were from Yala.

- April 10, 5 years ago... the day that the RTA responded to a UDD attack on their 1st Army Barracks with the clearance operation at Khok Wua intersection, where the Black Shirts first showed up and 25+ got killed.

- The warehouse in Surat belonged to Suthep.

- Central Festival represents the elite.

- As the bomb was planted underground in the parking lot, it was not meant to cause death as much as to send a message of discontent. This supports the argument that the bomb was not planted by Islamist insurgents.

In a way I hope they are right... we don't want the Islamist insurgency involved in tourist areas. Red Shirts on the other hand, well, their record of blowing up things where they don't live is well documented.

Still, though, could be anything, including a false flag operation.

Samui seems quite a natural target for the Red Shirts to me. Suthep said he'd retire there, his son is supposedly investing in large swathes of coconut land in the middle of the island, and in PAD's heyday there were large rallies there with speakers asking gas station attendants not to sell fuel to vehicles with Udon Thani number plates. And besides, Phuket had the highest concentration of Peua Thai voters in the South (30%, significantly higher than any other province), Chiang Mai and Pattaya are full of Red Shirts and businesses that support them, Hua Hin could be seen as an attack on the monarchy (there is only a small minority of UDD members who are anti-monarchy).

Still, you're right - we should keep an open mind. It could be the UDD (as I will openly say I suspect), it could be the army justifying martial Law/article 44, it could even be the PDRC. But I think blaming on the Deep South insurgency before any facts come out (as the BBC did) is premature and irresponsible, especially given that this bomb wasn't intended to cause loss of life (as is the insurgents' MO).