Are we not valued as people here?

I can say this as I have quite a few "good" Thai friend which is openly talking about the "stupid farang" which comes to Thailand to try and change it. This is something people tend to forget is your in Thailand and not in the UK, Aus, US or Europe now. Your in Thailand and for this reason if you respect their ways and just go with the flow (sometimes does not make sense to us) without Thai bashing all the time you'll be ok and most Thai's will show you the necessary respect in return.

In LOS as a farang respect from the locals comes as earned and not demanded.

Nobody who says 'farang' would ever be my friend, no matter what the colour of their skin.

I absolutely refuse to associate with racists from any country.

And am happy to tell them that to their face.

It's not racist, it's descriptive.

Like "darkie"

No, like "black".

which in context is ignorant and if used to quantify someone by the color of their skin, it's racist.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nonsense.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In LOS as a farang respect from the locals comes as earned and not demanded.

Nonsense. That's just a sorry excuse for blatant racism.

I lived in a very popular tourist town in the States and we showed respect to all our visitors. They didn't need to earn it.

We had millions of visitors too...and some acted up. Some culture clash, someone getting a bit too drunk on holiday etc. We didn't go around bashing those people and hating all the rest.

My question is? Who do Thai people like?

Thai people like those who do not judge the entire country on the actions of a few.

Calling someone 'black' is not at all racist - a fact that for some reason the older people seem to struggle to grasp.

it's ignorant, and that's a a fact idiots seem to struggle to grasp. And categorizing someone by the color of their skin is racist.

Calling someone 'black' is not at all racist - a fact that for some reason the older people seem to struggle to grasp.

it's ignorant, and that's a a fact idiots seem to struggle to grasp. And categorizing someone by the color of their skin is racist.

I am white. I call myself white. I have black friends who call themselves black. There really is nothing worse than people feeling the need to be offended on behalf of others.

That is real ignorance.

Not sure the Thai's mean any real harm when they use the term falang, as they use it as an adjective and not a pronoun,

As opposed to a retired or, no longer working noun.

I did ask the girl I strayed with if it was used as a condescending term and she said no, unless

The falang was acting a fool or being belligerent, or was in some way out of line,

Then she said the word with the correct corresponding look of disgust and it made perfect sense

[quote name="SoiBiker" post="9300690" timestamp="1428920699" date="Yesterday, 10:24"?

I am white. I call myself white. I have black friends who call themselves black. There really is nothing worse than people feeling the need to be offended on behalf of others.

That is real ignorance.

As most people can see the colour of your skin, it's not worth taking about.

I'm white German, and I call myself German or European if someone asks me where I come from.

I've got black friends, they call themselves American or African, depending on their nation.

I've got brown friends, they call themselves Thai (or whatever their nationality is)

More and more Thais define themselves by their profession.

We talk about our families, sometimes about our roots.

Yes, we have certain labels in our minds. But they get more and more multi-dimensional, up to the point where we see each other as unique individuals.

Guess the days of definig someone by the colour of his/her skin should be over.

Edited by micmichd

It's not racist to merely mention the colour of someone's skin. It's racist to treat someone differently because of the colour of their skin.

Tiptoeing around trying not to mention someone's skin colour out of some misplaced racial sensitivity just makes you look like a relic from the past. People are different colours. It's ok for us to acknowledge that.

We don't have to mention the obvious.

Especially not in Thailand where many Thais occasionally are judged by the colour of their skin from their fellow countrymen/women.

People from the Isaan eg can be as dark as they are, and their dialect might be what it is. If they say they are Thai, then they are Thai - by nationality.

Nationalities and ethnic roots are not necessarily the same. Take football teams as an example if you need one.

Edited by micmichd

We don't have to mention the obvious.

Especially not in Thailand where many Thais occasionally are judged by the colour of their skin from their fellow countrymen/women.

People from the Isaan eg can be as dark as they are, and their dialect might be what it is. If they say they are Thai, then they are Thai - by nationality.

Nationalities and ethnic roots are not necessarily the same. Take football teams as an example if you need one.

Remember, after the 2010 political clash, Abhasit held a symposium on 'inequality and double standards' to appease the poor, who feel they are mistreated.

At the meeting...... dozen white, elite Bangkok Chinese politicians discussing the issues and a handful of dark skinned staff on their knees pouring tea.blink.png

The colour of skin is quite arbitrary anyway.

Look out on Tourist beaches, and you will see many Farangs whose skins are actually darker than the skin of average Thais. And many of those still go on Thai-bashing.

Germans that can't even speak decent Germans bash Thais for poor English.

Farangs that permanently litter around bash Thais for filthy beaches.

And of course - nicest of all:

Farangs that can never afford any sex in their home countries bash Thai women for being greedy prostitutes, and pity themselves for being misused as ATMs.

Dear Farangs: you yourself value everything and everyone by the money in his/her wallet. Please don't bash Thais for learning from you.

That is real ignorance.

if you think you are white than you are blind coffee1.gif

Wake UP people, they dont want you here they only want your money.coffee1.gif

They are savages the lot of them. If not for the women being sexually suitable, most of us would not likely be here at all.

Please don't let the plastic smiles fool you - especially you older blokes with fading vision. Think of Thais as the hillbillies of Asia and take necessary precautions.

Bigotry, pure and simple!

We had the mother in law up for Songkrahn and was thinking how lucky I am not to have any of the support or financial drams with the family so many on here have. Or so I thought. Apparently it was decided this morning that because I am farang and clearly have an endless money pit in the garden, the mother and alcoholic father (who are the same age as me) should move in with us in our small 2 bedroom home who would in turn take care of the 85 year old grandmother who would also move in with us. I of course wud foot the bill. My missus knocked it on the head immediately as she knows it will never fly nor in reallity cud she live with them all but jesus, do these people ever stop? What makes them think we just want to give them all of our money? Entitlement? Her parents dont even give their own parents the time of day or any support and they certainly have never supported her. They drank away all the family land, she was raised hard by her grandmother basically abandoned until she could leave school at 12 at their request and go and work. And now their looking for retirement at 50 at my expense? They don't have the pull over my girl that many parents have so I'm lucky in that respect but the guilt is still there. Shes been acting weird all day and I'm feeling like somehow I've done something wrong even though I haven't said a bad word just ignored it all.

Edited by Kenny202

We had the mother in law up for Songkrahn and was thinking how lucky I am not to have any of the support or financial drams with the family so many on here have. Or so I thought. Apparently it was decided this morning that because I am farang and clearly have an endless money pit in the garden, the mother and alcoholic father (who are the same age as me) should move in with us in our small 2 bedroom home who would in turn take care of the 85 year old grandmother who would also move in with us. I of course wud foot the bill. My missus knocked it on the head immediately as she knows it will never fly nor in reallity cud she live with them all but jesus, do these people ever stop? What makes them think we just want to give them all of our money? Entitlement? Her parents font even give their own parents the time of day and they certainly have never supported her. They drank away all the family land, she was raised hard by her grandmother and now their looking for retirement at 50 at my expense? They don't have the pull over my girl that many parents have so I'm lucky in that respect but the guilt is still there. Acting weird all day and I'm feeling like somehow I've done something wrong even though I haven't said a bad word just ignored it all.

Go out, book into a hotel, tell the wife you are feeling crowded at home and won't be back until they're gone.

Take your wallet and passport with you.

It always works.

They've gone now. Haven't tested her that way yet although the last time I went to Bkk to meet a mate she went ballistic for 2 days after she said she was cool if I went and met my friend (hadn't been out of her sight for 6 months) although her friends are so important to her sitting eating som tum together everyday. I was worried the whole time she might break my stuff

Edited by Kenny202

They've gone now. Haven't tested her that way yet although the last time I went to Bkk to meet a mate she went ballistic for 2 days after she said she was cool if I went and met my friend (hadn't been out of her sight for 6 months) although her friends are so important to her sitting eating som tum together everyday. I was worried the whole time she might break my stuff

I think your wife might be my wife's twin sister.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I think you wife might be my wife's twin sister.

Hahaha. Gold :-)

but jesus, do these people ever stop? What makes them think we just want to give them all of our money? Entitlement?

To be fair, they've all heard stories of Western men marrying plain ordinary Thai women, building houses, buying cars and moving extended family in. All for some regular tail

That's a better deal than I had in the UK!

It's not racist to merely mention the colour of someone's skin. It's racist to treat someone differently because of the colour of their skin.

Tiptoeing around trying not to mention someone's skin colour out of some misplaced racial sensitivity just makes you look like a relic from the past. People are different colours. It's ok for us to acknowledge that.

, sounds v much to me like bigoted comments ,,, and to recognize is fine, to categorize a person by just the color of their skin is wrong and racist,,

I don't know. After the weekend I'm not too sure if I will ever be anything but farang. That can have good and bad connotations but they just can't seem to see past the walking bank thing. I don't mean in asking for my money etc but it's always going to be there. I did a test on the weekend. Asked the Mrs if my mother in law of 3 years knew my name. Nope. She know how many kids I have? Know about my family Australia? Nope. Hmmmm. They refer to each other by name. Is it culture or lack of interest or ignorance or what? I am getting tired of excusing everything in the name of culture particularly inconsiderate, selfish and ignorant acts.

Edited by Kenny202

I don't know. After the weekend I'm not too sure if I will ever be anything but farang. That can have good and bad connotations but they just can't seem to see past the walking bank thing. I don't mean in asking for my money etc but it's always going to be there. I did a test on the weekend. Asked the Mrs if my mother in law of 3 years knew my name. Nope. She know how many kids I have? Know about my family Australia? Nope. Hmmmm. They refer to each other by name. Is it culture or lack of interest or ignorance or what? I am getting tired of excusing everything in the name of culture particularly inconsiderate, selfish and ignorant acts.

Do you know your wife's name?

Can you write it in Thai script?

I've found very few foreigners can do that.