Wage debate ignores obscene incomes

Lite Beer

Executive salary individually may be indeed obscene but as a portion of a company's total cost of operation, it's minute. Are executives over paid? Yes! But so are professional athletes, for example. But given that executives and similarly government officials control their own salaries, minions employees or citizens are helpless to change things.

• Like 2

My daughter ,4 years at Uni,can speak,read and write Thai,English and Mandarin,

graduated with 1st degree honours,offered jobs in the Hotel industry of 9K THB p.m

6 days per week,1 weeks paid holiday after 1 year,finding a job is easy,but working

for those wages!,you could make more working in 7-11,without a Uni education

relax Countryman.

• Like 1

graduated with 1st degree honours,offered jobs in the Hotel industry of 9K THB p.m

6 days per week,1 weeks paid holiday after 1 year,finding a job is easy,but working

relax Countryman.

Graduating from a university doesn't guarantee or even entitle someone to a good job. There are people with top educations in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia who can't find a good job. Universities and private industries are disconnected.

When a person or a group of people risk money in an investment including buying stock to have a business, they are entitled to the profits if there are any. If they weren't, they'd never take the risk and do the work. They surely don't owe anyone a job any more than you do.

Without a profit motive there wouldn't be all of the industry and you wouldn't have (for instance) a computer or internet access.

End of.

• Like 1

relax Countryman.

I thought self employed/employed tour guides did pretty well. Has that job opp been saturated now?

• Like 1

The dye was cast decades back when the Government Administration decided to go for international companies looking for a good cheap infrastructure and low wages , to start fiddling with the structure of the wages for the peasants would spell doom, as quiet a few companies would up stakes and leave for probably Vietnam or even return home or scale back , as many companies did in China when they introduced a 25% pay rise each year for 4 years , Obscene wages for executives on the other hand are the norm in most democratic countries and causes lots of grumbles , dissatisfaction and all you will get is the finger , why shouldn't a Bank CEO get 5 million a year, after all they are experts at ripping off the public with fee's and charges, as Thailand is not a Democratic run country you have less choice, you cannot control what the share holders agree is fair payment for their executives and you cannot legislate either , that's another story. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This is not the issue of how much the Thai worker is worth, this is really about the quality work of the local labor, which is quite crappy, Thai workers in general are not productive as their counterpart in China and VN, in most cases, they're lazy, irresponsible, dishonest and all around disloyal and uninspiring people to work with, hence the law remunerations they get for their mi pen rai attitude, I ought to know, I have employed hundreds of them in my factories both in Bkk and in up country....

Well the Japanese companies seem to be able to produce export quality products with Thai labor,

I've seen inside some of those companies and know Thais working in them also I have Thai friends who run successful quality product business, so I'm not pulling stuff from my axx.

So I have a question, what are you doing wrong?

For anyone interested in how increasing the min wage is good for the economy, have a look here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3csw9ml

Edited by kaorop

What the hell! Give them their 20% pay rise and devalue the baht by the same amount. Exporting companies will be happy, and the workers until the inevitable inflation brings them right back where they started except their debts (and nearly all on minimum wage have them) will be worth less.

Yingluk kicked inflation into high gear with her vote-buying populist policy BS. Slowing it is going to be much harder.

• Like 2

...and the fact that this is not just about auto makers in Thailand.

It's about the manufacture of tech products, clothing, shoes, golf bags, and a whole range of other items where a 20% increase in unskilled labour costs do hurt the bottom line.

Not all manufacturers are global companies or even big companies.

If a 20% increase in cost in not accompanied by some sort of increase in throughput or quality that translate into revenue and profit, then manufacturers do start to look elsewhere where labour is cheaper...for now.

Labour wage increases don't feed directly to a 20% increase in cost.

• Like 2

seems theres a couple of 1% ers on here despising people from having the basics to survive on..shame on you people...but lets not let the truth of companies relocating for a better work force and slave wages its because of there utter greed for money thats ruining this world..you yanks keep moaning about the chinese.cheap goods.... they used to be made in the U.S.A..but more greed again at the expense of the american joe and now whose turning into the next super power. china....you deserve your decline...the collapse of capilalism bring it on..

• Like 2

What was being paid in Detract was way above minimum with good benefits too.

For me, the minimum wage should rise by at least inflation every year.

Exactly that policy led me to pay 17% on my home loan not so many (25?) years ago. Remember the south Pacific peso?

This is all human trafficking at its best.

I met a man named John Henry in Korea, and he graduated with a degree in economics. He told me that commodities speculation did not kill people, he said that market driven forces created bubbles and inconsistencies.

By every word that is Holy he believed his own bull crap.biggrin.png

Money is a cold God, maybe the coldest god.

Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 1

...and the fact that this is not just about auto makers in Thailand.

It's about the manufacture of tech products, clothing, shoes, golf bags, and a whole range of other items where a 20% increase in unskilled labour costs do hurt the bottom line.

Not all manufacturers are global companies or even big companies.

If a 20% increase in cost in not accompanied by some sort of increase in throughput or quality that translate into revenue and profit, then manufacturers do start to look elsewhere where labour is cheaper...for now.

Labour wage increases don't feed directly to a 20% increase in cost.

A 20% wage increase increases wages 20% is what I meant.

I could care less.

Give them whatever they want.

We relocated 2 years ago and not only benefit from lower wages, we benefit from a workforce that actually wants to work, is much more productive and quality is higher and rejects much, much lower.

Thailand is surrounded by lower cost produces. Not a lot of bright people on here seem to understand that, and the impact of increasing wages higher...because sooner or later there are going to be fewer and fewer companies around to even provide jobs.

But let it happen. Let's see real world economics in action.

• Like 2

Where I come from, they say "Pay peanuts, get monkeys". It's a reason to pay your workforce well.

A government mandated minimum wage is necessary because if there was not, people would be exploited.

But when the employers start moaning, it's time to think outside the box to get a win-win.

Profit-sharing in terms of yearly bonuses could be the thing...workers have an interest in the company doing well, and employers don't have to pay anything if profitability is down.

• Like 1

While I support a higher minimum wage, I completely disagree with this article's premise. It expresses a muddled view. A minimum wage and a wage cap are two very different things and any linkage is tenuous. A higher wage at the bottom does not necessarily have to take anything away from the top earners. One can only come to such a conclusion by ignoring the crucial factor of productivity improvements.

It is also wrong-headed to look at the effects on individual companies rather than the entire economy.

Furthermore, the article provides no data on the effects of the previous minimum wage hike. Did it lead to wage-pulled inflation or overall increase in unemployment? Did it improve productivity, or increase investment in automation? Without data, there can be no informed debate, just mindless, disjointed prognostications, as in the article.

The curious thing is that even under conditions of virtually full employment, a substantial size of the workforce is earning just subsistence wages. When you are earning so little and another job with such wages is easily had, where's the incentive to work your best? From the employers' side, when workers can be had so cheaply, where's the incentive to invest in better training or higher automation? This squeeze from both ends explains the lack of productivity growth.

T

• Like 2