What Thai stuff do you take to the West when you go back?

tuonsai

I have a friend who goes to the states for 5 months ever year he loads up on all types of medicines for him and family he said it save him over 1000 US Dollars

If he doesn't have a doctor's prescription or has too many, the fines are huge. But you are absolutely correct. It's much cheaper for many meds here. Just make sure you get the legit ones! LOL

I have a friend who goes to the states for 5 months ever year he loads up on all types of medicines for him and family he said it save him over 1000 US Dollars

If he doesn't have a doctor's prescription or has too many, the fines are huge. But you are absolutely correct. It's much cheaper for many meds here. Just make sure you get the legit ones! LOL

They will usually accept 90 days worth as personal use, UK

Benzo's they might frown at though it's not a criminal offence to carry benzo's without a prescription, it is a criminal offence if they think they're for sale. They may or may not confiscate them depending on whether they believe you need them or not. best to get a doctors letter and have other proof.

Of course with certain other meds you need certain forms too.

The custom silverware at JJ Market. Beautiful stuff, extremely well-made, and cheap.

Beautiful.... is it solid Sterling .925 ? Or plated ?

Which booth ? Where do you find that silverware in that huge market ? That's the huge market in Bangkok isn't it ?

I'm much more familiar with Chiang Mai.

I'd be very interested in buying that set if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The custom silverware at JJ Market. Beautiful stuff, extremely well-made, and cheap.

Which booth ? Where do you find that silverware in that huge market ? That's the huge market in Bangkok isn't it ?

I've seen sets the same and/or similar to this one on the Sunday walking street market in Chiang Mai. They are indeed beautiful smile.png

Edited by RakChan

I bring back to Canada mostly Buddhist items from temples or Buddhist supply stores for my Buddhist shrine at home in Canada. Amulets blessed at temples.. Buddha touching the earth statue blessed at temple. Beautiful items from Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, and Wat Chedi Luang. Including small Buddha amulet to wear, blessed by wonderful kind elderly monk.

And a lovely .925 silver ring I had specially made at WUALAISILPA on Wua Lai Street....(aka "Silver Street" aka Saturday Walking Street for Saturday night market) with เชียงใหม่ ไทย engraved on it. (But the actual engraving on the ring looks nicer :) )

A few "Chiang Mai" shirts.... which I find comfortable to wear in hot climates..

Various touristy items also.... like several pairs of lovely chopsticks made in Thailand, Coca Cola t-shirts for family and friends from the night market.. with Thai script. Souvenirs from the Chiang Mai Zoo and Tiger Kingdom....

And.... five Sak Yant on my back from a Thai monk that I visited with my Thai friends.... Beginning with the Gao Yord... done with Khem Sak by the monk ..who has been doing Sak Yank for 17 years... that I will always have wherever I travel...

I've seen sets the same and/or similar to this one on the Sunday walking street market in Chiang Mai. They are indeed beautiful smile.png

I've been to Sunday Walking Street market in Chiang Mai several times.... and never saw a set like that... I must have missed it somehow.... not hard to miss something there I guess...

I love the corn on the cob there and at the regular night market :) Nothing like it in Canada..... Canadian corn just can't seem to compare.. Don't ask me why . I really miss it and have to get back there as soon as I can...

A friend of mine took a bum gun back to the Netherlands.

Odd. They're on every kitchen sink in America.

Only ever been too the States once and noticed a few restaurant kitchens which put me off eating out and have no intention of going back.

On every sink in Canada also. But in Canada and the U.S. they are used for rinsing the sink, rinsing dishes, rinsing vegetables etc.

But I got so used to using the hand-held bidet/bum gun at my residence in Thailand, that as soon as I got back to Canada I went on eBay and got a nice one sent to me from southeast Asia and installed it myself at home. Now I use it all the time and much cleaner down there... :)

I also use it to rinse my hair, and to help clean the toilet..... so good to have.

So cheap to get them on eBay from Thailand or China or wherever.. several types and manufacturers....

My wife tried to sneak a container of Pla Ra into my suitcase for a friend of hers in the UK. Fortunately i spotted it before leaving.

Was that a 20' or 40' container?

Makes one wonder how they... What JLCrab says.

Can you bring Food Stuff into other countries , it seems Oz USA Canada would not allow it especially undeclared, it was on the news someone got fined $500 for an apple from a hotel she grabbed when checking out and forgot about in Backpak...

This time I'm taking loads of those packets of chili paste for tom yam goong, green and red gaeng, tom kha gai,etc. Though they're available in the US, they're more that three times the price and only available from Thai or Asian specialty stores. A Thai lady recommended that the brand Kanokwan was the best. Also, wall hangings, runners, placemats, pillow covers, fabric and/or baskets from Sop Moei Arts, from either their Bangkok or Chiang Mai shops (see sopmoeiarts.com). This company has been in business for over 30 years, preserving the weaving traditions of Pwo Karen weavers from Burma. I also love Thai aroma diffusers, either the ceramic type using a votive candle or the type using reeds. Interesting scents available here (e.g. lemon grass, kaffir lime, frangipani, etc. that are typical of Thailand. And then, as we have 70 mango trees on our Chiang Mai property, I plan to put up dozens of jars (Bell canning jars are available at either Villa or Rimping in Chiang Mai) of mango jam and mango chutney.

When I come to Thailand I bring Real Ray Bans, il bring a lot of candy from Easter 50% off sales, 3lb bags for my daughters and friends , GF son and a Good Friends kids up in Seka, No Chocolate though, I bring clothes for my daughter, which she loves , she's only 6, but she's Very Fashionable in the Moobaan, Also those toy princess kits,For kids, they have em at Tesco in Thai. Also

Edited by Dannyboy666

Sure -- but this way he won't have to climb up on the kitchen sink.

This is a episode I would really like to see..???

• Like 1

Can you bring Food Stuff into other countries , it seems Oz USA Canada would not allow it especially undeclared, it was on the news someone got fined $500 for an apple from a hotel she grabbed when checking out and forgot about in Backpak...

Canada here, no fresh fruit or vegetable, no meat, no fish, no insect (edible ones), no grain of plants, long list that is not allowed. I bring back dried chilis and prick pon, declare it and every time I must get an OK from Agriculture Canada, which they gave me every time for chilis and prick pon.

The key word is declare, if declare and it is not allowed they will confiscate the goods and that is the end of it, if you don't declare you will be fined.

Edited by NamKAheng

For gals: OPI "Infinite Shine" nail lacquer. It's called a "vinyl," and is longer-lasting than regular polish, but is NOT a "gel" that has to be especially applied and removed. They make both a primer and a top coat, and have a lot of cool colors. My favorite nail place in Bangkok hadn't heard of a "vinyl" polish and wanted to charge me a mint for a gel--meaning I'd also have to pay a mint to come back and have it professionally removed.

Lancôme's new "Grandiose" mascara--not waterproof, but smudge-proof, as proven during Songkran. Can probably get at the duty-free in London or on your intermediate stop. Not cheap--about US$40.

A nice set of candlesticks and non-drip candles. Here in Chiang Mai we lose power during thunderstorms. I use hurricane lamps and non-drip candles--scented, of course.

A rechargeable flashlight.

A set of nice bath towels (hand, washcloth and bath-sheet) in a funky color.

Sheet sets. They only seem to use (and sell) is a fitted bottom sheet and blanket on top. I prefer a top sheet on top of the fitted sheet in hot weather.

Stain remover for washing. I found Oxyclean (at an exorbitant price) in a Villa in Bangkok, which works well along with their usual detergent.

Unusual foods from your country: black pudding, haggis, bangers, whatever. Depending on how well you know them, you could serve a typical English breakfast or luncheon, including carrots and mashed potatoes. You can buy an insulated bag with freezer packs to keep them fresh. I also bought a lot of different cheeses--cheddar, bleu, brie--pick a few and serve them with English-style crackers and their local fruit.