Pattaya Budget Rough Draft: Am I missing anything?

hansomman

Is this fixed bills budget about right for Pattaya or am I far off base??? Also, I didn't include any entertainment or misc expenses here since they vary from month to month. This is for a single person btw, not a family or couple.

Prices are in THB and USD.

Condo Rent : 15,000 ( $460 )

Electricity: 1600 ( $50 )

Water: 500? ( $15 )

Internet: 650 ( $20 )

Cell: 1000( $30 )

TV: 380 ( $11 )

Food: 10,000 ( $300 )

Haircuts: 500( $15 )

Laundry: 3200( $100 )

Motorbike: 2000 ( $60 )

Bike Fuel: 1000 ( $30 )

--------------------------------------------

Total: 35,830 - $1100

This question comes up many times, and obviously has many variables. The figures you quote can easily be reduced.

1 example would be haircuts, for me I get mine cut every 8 weeks, and it costs me 50 baht.

Of course you might want yours shaved every week.

We've done this many times before. If that's not your budget but just the basics, yes. If it's the extras like travel and visas and medical and women then no.

Loptr already said it too.

Yes just to make it clear, these are just the basic fixed costs you will pay every month. Booze, travel, women... those are "up to you" as they say.

Food budget seems rather light @ 10,000.

Add 5,000 for health insurance. Very important.

Cell seems way over the top, as does laundry.

Use Skype or Line or FB messenger to reduce call-costs. (or send a pigeon) cheesy.gif

Unless you want to eat crap Thai food on the sidewalk, 500-600 baht per day for food would be more reasonable. I spend about 300/mo. on my cell phone (but I do not make many calls and rarely use my phone to search the net). Internet will probably cost you close to 800-900/mo. for 24/7 connection. Your laundry bill estimate seems way too high; maybe reduce that by 1/2, or wear t-shirts and shorts and wash them yourself for free. Typical rent rates can vary from 8000 (crap place but livable) to 20000 (decent place w/ ocean view). And, as stated, health insurance and entertainment should be added to your estimate.

From my perspective and knowledge of friends in Pattaya/Jomtien, couple of visits per year.

Condo Rent : 15,000 ( $460 ) Depending on your requirements: cheaper available

Electricity: 1600 ( $50 ) A bit optimistic, depends on the rate (original rate or inflated "condo rate") and usage of AC. Maybe more (2000).

Water: 500? ( $15 ) Don't know the price in PTY, sounds a bit much. (out in the sticks: 5 Baht/cubic tongue.png 65 Baht/month)

Internet: 650 ( $20 ) I pay double. But 650 buys the basic ADSL packages.

Cell: 1000( $30 ) I pay 200 or so. Too much for me. Calling home?

TV: 380 ( $11 ) IPTV more expensive, I pay 1000.

Food: 10,000 ( $300 ) 300 Baht/day? Can be done, but in a mismatch to the condo rent. Guess you will care for "farang food"? So maybe more. One restaurant meal per day only? Preparing your own meals/breakfast/coffee?

Haircuts: 500( $15 ) Too much. 100 Baht is enough. Except you care for the "chief stylist" tongue.png .

Laundry: 3200( $100 ) 100 Baht laundry per day for a single? Sounds too much.

Motorbike: 2000 ( $60 ) At the lower end (cheap scooter). Maybe more.

Bike Fuel: 1000 ( $30 ) About 1l per day. Depends on location/distances.

If you plan to settle in Thailand, you should consider to buy a scooter.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

A Pattaya calculation without health insurance and especially "entertainment" is incomplete. Therefore multiply at least by 2.

If matrimonial factors (sooner or later) come into play, original single man's calculations will be of no relevance anymore. Multiply by................?

Cheers.

10,000/30 days = 333 baht per day.

This is low food budget unless you really skimp and eat only the 30 baht noodles and some other local things. I personally thoroughly enjoy some English fish and chips, or Weiner Schnitzel-fried potatoes-salat, Sunday carvery or whatever several times a week. After all I am there to enjoy myself. Eeach of those meals with a beverage can stress your 300 baht a day budge. Even a modest lunch at KISS, Shrimp Fried Rice, watermelon shake is up to 100 baht now, and those portions are a bit small for the average person, so figure an appetizer with that. If you stock up a bit and can cook at home you can meet that 333 baht a day budget with discipline.

I recommend increasing food 50% at least, 100% for management reserve!

The OPs estimate of 35,830/month is a survival budget. Most of the essentials listed you would find in the county jail back home.

No pocket money?.. entertainment or luxuries....?

......but it is nice to know a pensioner could survive and have a better existence than back home in most cases.

I could get by on that amount but wouldn't want to.

The Thai Government requires retirees to have 65,000Bt. minimum per month and I suspect they will raise that and close the loopholes many are using.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

Is this fixed bills budget about right for Pattaya or am I far off base??? Also, I didn't include any entertainment or misc expenses here since they vary from month to month. This is for a single person btw, not a family or couple.

Prices are in THB and USD.

Condo Rent : 15,000 ( $460 )

Electricity: 1600 ( $50 )

Water: 500? ( $15 )

Internet: 650 ( $20 )

Cell: 1000( $30 )

TV: 380 ( $11 )

Haircuts: 500( $15 )

Laundry: 3200( $100 )

Motorbike: 2000 ( $60 )

Bike Fuel: 1000 ( $30 )

--------------------------------------------

Total: 35,830 - $1100

Don't see anything for groceries/toiletries/house cleaning/clothing etc... I'd add 10-12,000 but do like the odd glass of wine (or 3) with some nice cheese every now & again.

Also need to put something in for Visas depending on what basis you're planning on staying in Thailand.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

County jail.... Luxeries.... I could get by on that amount but...

First prize for empathy for you, not. May you never fall on hard times.

OP, I know people (yes, expats, American, European) who get by on 1000 US$, and even less. You can surely spend less on rent if needed. But as others have mentioned, health insurance should be included in your list.

The OPs estimate of 35,830/month is a survival budget. Most of the essentials listed you would find in the county jail back home.

No pocket money?.. entertainment or luxuries....?

......but it is nice to know a pensioner could survive and have a better existence than back home in most cases.

I could get by on that amount but wouldn't want to.

The Thai Government requires retirees to have 65,000Bt. minimum per month and I suspect they will raise that and close the loopholes many are using.