Aussie grandfather jailed, whipped in Saudi Arabia for having home brewed alcohol

webfact

Sydney grandfather Peter Mutty jailed, whipped in Saudi Arabia for having home brewed alcohol
EXCLUSIVE MATTHEW BENNS
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH

SYDNEY: -- A SYDNEY grandfather jailed alongside murderers and given the lash after being caught with home brewed alcohol in Saudi Arabia has now been told he cannot leave the country.

Peter Mutty, 57, from Rosebery in Sydney’s inner south, has now been forced to sell his home to cover costs while he remains trapped in limbo in the Gulf state unable to work.

“The Australian Embassy has been absolutely no help and did not even come to see me until I had been in jail for five weeks,” Mr Mutty said yesterday.

Mr Mutty was working in Al Khobar, four hours outside the capital Riyadh, when he was caught with two cartons of home brewed light beer and two cases of homemade red and white wine in his car.

“I knew it was wrong and I made no attempt to hide the fact I was guilty,” said Mr Mutty, who has daughters and grandchildren in Canberra and Adelaide.

Full story: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-grandfather-peter-mutty-jailed-whipped-in-saudi-arabia-for-having-home-brewed-alcohol/story-fni0cx12-1227302460865

-- THE DAILY TELEGRAPH 2015-04-14

Some will say don;t do the crime if you are not prepared to do the time. Fair enough.

My question to the expats who work there, Is it really worth it??

I do wonder how the compensation works vs Dubai or another neigbor country vs Saudi. Edited by 4evermaat

Some will say don;t do the crime if you are not prepared to do the time. Fair enough.

I do wonder how the compensation works vs Dubai or another neigbor country vs Saudi.

In the oil and gas industry, big bucks, no tax.

I have turned down several big paychecks from there.

Can you image if this happen to a Aussie in Israel The Australian Government the UN and most of the world will go crazy

But Saudi Arabia nothing

Wake up soon

But I doubt that they will

Some countries have strict drug and alcohol laws. The whole world did not go crazy over a couple of Aussies caught with drugs in Indonesia. I doubt the whole world would go crazy over Aussie criminals in Israel. And the whole world will not go crazy over an Aussie breaking the law in KSA.

• Like 2

Can you image if this happen to a Aussie in Israel The Australian Government the UN and most of the world will go crazy

But Saudi Arabia nothing

Wake up soon

What has this to do with Israel?

harryfrompattaya? says it all. whistling.gif

• Like 1

But Saudi Arabia nothing

Wake up soon

But home brewing is not a crime in Israel. drunk.gif

Had many of liters of Johnnie Walker Black in Al Khobar. Saw it smuggled into Saudi by the overseas container load. Thats a 40 ft sea container. Guess how many cases you get in one of those babies. whistling.gif They have under ground bars for expats that would put bars to shame her in Thailand. Bottle of JW goes for about 8000 baht.w00t.gif When your in the game you know the penalties.facepalm.gif

I was there around 2005, a bottle of Red Label or Smirnoff was 500 Riyals then, around USD150.w00t.gif

I went to a party several years ago at a Saudi's home. There were perhaps 10 men there enjoying the Black label until the wee hours.

Around 0330 two police colonels walked in. I didn't know them so was immediately alarmed but they merely joined in and the party and drinking continued.

Just before daylight the party was breaking up and the two policemen came and asked me where I lived and how was I getting home. I wasn't drunk so just told them I was driving my car. They followed me home just in case I ran into a police check point, we shook hands and I went inside as they drove off.

Never saw them again.

I had an American friend that was caught with two 55 gallon barrels of mash for his siddique. He had it stored in a government warehouse and was moving it in a government vehicle when the police got him.

He served about six months in prison and was then kicked out of the Kingdom. Saw him in BKK a year or so later and he said it wasn't too bad, considering he made over $100,000 per year for five years on his siddique sales before he was caught.

• Like 1

No point in risking it in Al Khobar when everything's available on tap 24/7 just a quick drive across the bridge to Bahrain

Sensible advice.

The drive from Khobar is quick enough. I used to drive up from Riyadh without any problems.

Bahrain easy drive. Abu Dhabi and Dubai quick flight. Nice week ends away. If he can't do without booze then he should not work in a country were booze is forbidden,

KSA is one country where you obey the law and keep well behaved if you have any sense.

• Like 1

Scary, being in a country like that. It's not like home in the West.

These people have barely left their tents and swords behind in the desert.

No not like home in the West. Where you can be killed by the police for selling some cigarettes illegally; or for running away from them; or seriously assaulted with pepper spray and tasers despite being a minor. Or get sentenced to prison (UK) for having some "offensive weapons" in the privacy of your own home, such as novelty lighter/automatic knives or knuckle dusters bought in Thailand.

The Saudi's are no different to anybody. They have their laws, views, culture and standards, as to other countries. If you choose to work or live in a country it's a good idea to check out the laws and abide by them. Not knowingly break them.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I do wonder how the compensation works vs Dubai or another neigbor country vs Saudi.

In the oil and gas industry, big bucks, no tax.

I have turned down several big paychecks from there.

Big is relative. Saudi doesnt pay great money

• Like 2

But Saudi Arabia nothing

Wake up soon

Some countries have strict drug and alcohol laws. The whole world did not go crazy over a couple of Aussies caught with drugs in Indonesia. I doubt the whole world would go crazy over Aussie criminals in Israel. And the whole world will not go crazy over an Aussie breaking the law in KSA.

Yet the very same countries expect and demand different treatment for their citizens when abroadblink.png

The hypocrisy of "some" countries and religions

Edited by konying
  • Like 2

But Saudi Arabia nothing

Wake up soon

Would you please provide a link to where harry from pattaya tells all? Interested in the Israel vs Saudia Arabia question.