Poll: 2015 Songkran more joyful than previous year

webfact

Poll: 2015 Songkran more joyful than previous year

BANGKOK, 15 April 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University has found that most Thai holidaymakers feel this year’s Songkran festival has been more enjoyable than last year's due mainly to a more peaceful society.

According to the poll, roughly 62 percent of respondents had the impression that Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to political stability, tight security, and revelers’ cooperation with the authorities. Those thinking otherwise explained the economic slowdown and the government’s ban on some festive activities deprived them of a celebratory mood.

To them, Songkran is the country's most eagerly-awaited festival in that it enables people to reunite with their families, recharge their batteries, preserve their unique culture and boost local economies. Nevertheless, the respondents find overpriced goods, alcohol-induced brawls and theft the most frustrating aspects of the holiday season.

When asked about their main hopes for the coming months of the Thai New Year, the majority of respondents said they anticipated fun-filled and safe celebrations, a better economy, national unity and increased cultural activities.

The survey’s results were compiled from the answers of 1,058 Thai people during the period April 12-15.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-15 footer_n.gif

Oh, what the......???

But of couse it was!

Mr.P and the Magic 44 made it all safe for us, some bunch of 102 year-old-cement wigs told us, how to behave, what to wear and what not to do and we got waaaaaaaaay less road- fatalities than ever before!

Thank you three times!

Edited by DM07

A riggged and /or possibly flawed survey. From what I saw in Bangkok on Monday, most people outside the KS Road and Silom "farang" friendly areas seemed scared / unwilling to go out and celebrate as usual (in pick-ups, with their families by the road side, etc). Tuesday was a little better, and today (Wednesday) was like a normal Songkran "day one". This is the exact opposite of the usual pattern !!!

• Like 1

Plenty of people out celebrating "oop north".

Mind you if you suggested it was better this year for the reasons outlined in this poll, half would gaze at you blankly and the rest would roll around howling with laughter

I must have missed the poll last weekend (Easter) telling us that the resurrection of Chrst waa facilitated by the junta!

A riggged and /or possibly flawed survey. From what I saw in Bangkok on Monday, most people outside the KS Road and Silom "farang" friendly areas seemed scared / unwilling to go out and celebrate as usual (in pick-ups, with their families by the road side, etc). Tuesday was a little better, and today (Wednesday) was like a normal Songkran "day one". This is the exact opposite of the usual pattern !!!

Funny you should say this because I saw the same thing. Lots of police but no revellers. My car didn't get wet one time this songkran and I went out every day. People stayed home indoors mostly and even the temples I passed were not at capacity

Being that is is criminal offense to entice dissent or instability or promote insecurity in the happiness level or the leadership of Thailand I would have to say this poll was just another attempt to prove to the world and the ignorant people just how happy and stable and secure this gov has made it for the Thai people. Lord knows I am the happiest and i just stay home now and raise my family whilst avoiding ANY contact with anyone whom I am not closely associated with. I can't remember being so happy. I practice now many times daily making baby #3.

Ohh! Did I say happiest or horniest? Can't remember now

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 1

"According to the poll, roughly 62 percent of respondents had the impression that Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to political stability, tight security, and revelers’ cooperation with the authorities."

I've just got to wonder...what weird question did they ask to derive that conclusion?

I'll give it a try w00t.gif

QUESTION NO. 1

Which statement do you agree with most?

A. Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to political stability.

B. Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to tight security.

C. Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to revelers’ cooperation with the authorities.

D. Songkran festivities this year were more joyful than last year thanks to all of the above.

smile.png

Edited by phoenixdoglover
  • Like 2