British tourist kills police in crash

The only John I know in Chaam who drives a Merc is a nefarious character always bragging about how he rips people off in Bangkok (boiler rooms)

The latest article on the AD website indicates that the driver was indeed as you described.

Not sure if he is related to Noel Edmonds but appears to share the same surname.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect the cop was drunk. Most of them are, particularly when making U-turns without looking, at 2:40 am. Not that the police would announce this.

I would imagine John, the boiler room Brit, was also drunk. Same as above applies except the police would probably charge him for not announcing it.

• 3 months later...

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

Very good try to justify the murder!

You should be ashamed of yourself, even to have these thoughts.

Being white makes all right?

I wonder if the Benz driver fell off the 25th floor what your judgement would be.

• 8 months later...
On 24/09/2015 at 8:02 AM, Briggsy said:

I would expect the cop was drunk. Most of them are, particularly when making U-turns without looking, at 2:40 am. Not that the police would announce this.

I would imagine John, the boiler room Brit, was also drunk. Same as above applies except the police would probably charge him for not announcing it.

And almost one year on and with other news, we can only assume that the driver was indeed well funded and all parties compensated appropriately.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 9:30 PM, slipperylobster said:

As someone pointed out...inertia and mass. There are simple formulas to figure out the speed the driver of the car was going. We have the weight of both vehicles, and the distance traveled (200 meters). Anyone want to try?

Level ...pavement/tar .....not wet.

In an elastic collision:  momentum is conserved.  m1v1 = m2v2.  Let us call Mc = mass of car.  Mb = mass of bike.  Vc = Velocity of car.  Vb = velocity of bike.

Momentum = MV.  So here, lets' assume the Car came to  a complete stop after the collision and all its momentum was transferred to the Bike.  Also, lets' assume the Bike was basically standing still at the time and the bike was perpendicular to the car at the time of impact and I ignore the sideways velocity component.   So the initial Vb is 0, the final Vc = 0.  Then initial McVc + MbVb = final McVc + MbVb.  This reduces to McVc = MbVb.  I don't know the exact weights of the vehicles so I will just use 2400 pounds for the Car and 600 pounds for the bike.  Vb = McVc/Mb, Vb = 4Vc.  So immediately after the collision, the bike will be going 4 times the speed the car was going!  Again, see my assumptions about an elastic impact, and the speed conditions at impact.  Now the article says the bike was found 200 yards away.  I am sure the bike wasn't thrown in the air 200 yards.  It slid along the road quite a ways.  If you have ever been to a motocross jumping event, you can imagine how fast something needs to be going to travel ballisticaly 200 yards in the air.  For comparison I used a standard zero drag no air resistance ballistic calculator using 100 miles per hour or 44.7 m/sec for the car's speed and the optimal range trajectory angle of 45 degrees.  This  gives a horizontal range of 197 meters, and a time of flight of 6.3 seconds and a peak height of 49 meters.  The bike surely did not fly that trajectory I just list if for discussion sake.  

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

• 2 weeks later...

That's a bit of "expecting and imagining".

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, NanLaew said:

And almost one year on and with other news, we can only assume that the driver was indeed well funded and all parties compensated appropriately.

Authorities and family totaled 18 million with no conviction

On 4/15/2015 at 5:30 PM, eeze said:

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

I wonder if they found the back light bulb from the motorcycle to see if it was working. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2015 at 3:30 PM, eeze said:

It is about paying due respect to others. Evidently this idiot didn't. Had he been driving get slower maybe there would not have been the tragic accident.

Before anyone says maybe he wasn't driving get fast just look at the front of the car. You don't get that amount of damage to a Mercedes if you are driving slowly. 

Lock him up and throw away the key

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:47 AM, gandalf12 said:

It is about paying due respect to others. Evidently this idiot didn't. Had he been driving get slower maybe there would not have been the tragic accident.

Before anyone says maybe he wasn't driving get fast just look at the front of the car. You don't get that amount of damage to a Mercedes if you are driving slowly. 

Lock him up and throw away the key

Jeez, still under investigation-hasn't gone to trial, hasn't been any conviction. Should the old medieval thinking and judgement also apply if such circumstances occur with you in LOS?

On 15/04/2015 at 7:44 PM, FritsSikkink said:

If the motorcycle was hit and then found 200 meters away , you can safely state that the driver was speeding (and quite a bit too).

I find it hard to believe the 200 metres is accurate.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

There is stated a fact and you need to tell me you don't believe it, what else do you want me to say?

Do you actually know how long 200 metres is? Then believe a light weight bike, will slide that distance, I know the car was probably exceeding the speed limit, but hey, not enough to send a bike that far, I suspect a little "journalist licence" taking place, but hey, even if you don't agree, there's no reason to have a 3 word comment, saying bugger all.  Perhaps an intelligent debate, but no, 3 lousy words.

As for a "stated fact" just where is this "fact," was it actually measured, or simply guessed.

Fact definition:  a thing that is known or proved to be true.

6 hours ago, Rorri said:

Do you actually know how long 200 metres is? Then believe a light weight bike, will slide that distance, I know the car was probably exceeding the speed limit, but hey, not enough to send a bike that far, I suspect a little "journalist licence" taking place, but hey, even if you don't agree, there's no reason to have a 3 word comment, saying bugger all.  Perhaps an intelligent debate, but no, 3 lousy words.

As for a "stated fact" just where is this "fact," was it actually measured, or simply guessed.

Fact definition:  a thing that is known or proved to be true.

you stating " I don't believe it is true" is vey intelligent and gives a lot better insight of the situation, does it? end of discussion, believe what you want.

Wasn't the bike that caused the damage I know that bit of road well,it's fast and many bikes suffer the same yearly But never gets headlines.They even squeeze through the closed sections and scare the daylights out of you slow or fast those short cut merchants are dumb selfish morons. You didn't witness so don't just blame an expensive car Or Rider

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2015 at 5:38 AM, Commerce said:

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

Not really someone I know hit a drunk on a bicycle extensive front end damage and broken front windshield

May he rest in peace. I like how he was riding without a license plate. I am a fan of that too. 

As for the tourist who hit him, just blame it on someone from Myanmar. The authorities seem to be experienced in that regard. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2015 at 9:29 AM, PattayaPhom said:

Speed limit in that part of Phetchkasem is 80KMH. 

If this is the u-turn right by the hospital (and which, as others have mentioned, is supposed to be closed) the speed limit there is currently 60 kph and if I recall correctly that was also true in 2015. However, if it was the next one heading North then it would be 80 kph.

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 11:10 AM, baansgr said:

If you bother to read the topic you will see that a payment of 18 million was made, no conviction, no gaol time.

If it is that easy then why doesnt the red bull son just pay up. He wouldnt even notice 18 million.

Archived