British tourist kills police in crash

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Ask yourself, what would you have done in a situation like this?

So stop, trying to be clever and think before you post nonsense.

Did you read the article? The bike ended up 200meters away......I doubt a bike could be thrown that far if he was going less than 70-80kmph , not to mention the front of the Merc has all but disintegrated. IF the Merc was speeding then you cannot really say the cop cut him off as he may have had enough time to u turn if the Merc was traveling at the correct speed.

I do not believe that a car impacting a bike cold cause it to be thrown 200 meters. Think about the energy required to pitch even 100 Kgs 200 meters, just not possible. The driver may have been speeding, but 200 meters.......impossible at less that 300 Kms/hr in my view.

20 meters I can believe, even 40 meters is plausible, but not 200.

It does seem excessive, did he smash the bike then take 100m+ to come to a halt perhaps? Thus being away from the bike. Not a lot you can tell from the photo but one thing is for certain he was traveling at some serious speed to cause that damage to his car.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a true story to demonstrate how a Thai judge can interrupt accidents ,

The light turns green,the driver pulls away through the lights,he is then hit side

one by another driver who has jumped the red light. both Thai drivers,

The judge finds the guy who drove through the green light to be a fault,because

he had not anticipated that someone might jump the red light !! so even though

you think you are in the right, you just might not be,in a Thai court.

In this case which I am not 100% sure off, if the Merc driver hit the M/C from the

rear, ran into him, it will be the Merc drivers fault, no matter that the M/C pulled

into the Mercs path,he was speeding, on Thai roads you have to be aware that

its very dangerous on the roads day or night.

This is going to be a one sided story,as the policeman is dead.

regards worgeordie

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Who said the car was rented?

What makes him a tourist? Maybe just his visa?

The police officer's motorbike had no license plate at all

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

Then again, i'm sure you'll find some other answers.

The fault lies with the one changing direction - always.

Drive on the left, give way to the left!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. alt=w00t.gif>

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

Nobody stated all this car hit was the motorcycle. It's very likely after the impact the driver loss most of the control the car had, and ran into something else before coming to a halt. But of course most won't think of that, they will just assume this damage was all caused by the car hitting the motorcycle at high speeds. Whose to know, unless one of us was at the scene, but we certainly do know how many times we've seen people just make their turns not even thinking or considering the oncoming cars approaching, after all why should they???

I love listening to you, saint and super driver, that never disobey the rules in Thailand.

Try to read the article properly, the guy was cut off by the motorbike when the policeman made a u-turn at the spot suddenly, cutting into his way and making it impossible for him to stop his car in time.

Did you read the article? The bike ended up 200meters away......I doubt a bike could be thrown that far if he was going less than 70-80kmph , not to mention the front of the Merc has all but disintegrated. IF the Merc was speeding then you cannot really say the cop cut him off as he may have had enough time to u turn if the Merc was traveling at the correct speed.

I do not believe that a car impacting a bike cold cause it to be thrown 200 meters. Think about the energy required to pitch even 100 Kgs 200 meters, just not possible. The driver may have been speeding, but 200 meters.......impossible at less that 300 Kms/hr in my view.

It does seem excessive, did he smash the bike then take 100m+ to come to a halt perhaps? Thus being away from the bike. Not a lot you can tell from the photo but one thing is for certain he was traveling at some serious speed to cause that damage to his car.

Disagree. 'Picture taken at night; the flash reflecting promiscuously off every bit of bent body & trim metal. It's a Mercedes, not a tank. A daytime photo taken from an angle more to the side would be far more informative and possibly much less misleading. Anyway, an assessment of "serious speed" is purely subjective & inflammatory: not helpful. And the 200m - totally absurd; so incredible it really throws much said in the rest of the original article into serious doubt, not to mention those here claiming to be former police & accident investigators giving us the benefit of their unquestionable "expertise" - LOL.

All that said, actual fault and the truth of the matter notwithstanding, the British driver is no doubt in a world of serious legal hurt.

Disagree. 'Picture taken at night; the flash reflecting promiscuously off every bit of bent body & trim metal. It's a Mercedes, not a tank. A daytime photo taken from an angle more to the side would be far more informative and possibly much less misleading. Anyway, an assessment of "serious speed" is purely subjective & inflammatory: not helpful. And the 200m - totally absurd; so incredible it really throws much said in the rest of the original article into serious doubt, not to mention those here claiming to be former police & accident investigators giving us the benefit of their unquestionable "expertise" - LOL.

All that said, actual fault and the truth of the matter notwithstanding, the British driver is no doubt in a world of serious legal hurt.

I don't need a daytime photo to know that car is a complete write off and has hit something very hard at very fast speeds.....May have been the central reservation after the bike but that damage wouldn't happen at 30-40 kmph unless you smashed into an immovable solid wall....so if he did just hit the bike then he's clearly been hoofing it.

Well bully for you. Maybe you don't need a photo at all because you have special sight.

Anyway, I don't think the speed limit there is 30-40kph...

You've a real attitude problem don't you...or is that just behind the safety of your keyboard?

And I never once said it was the speed limit, then again you can be going under the speed limit and still be guilty of dangerous/wreckless driving.

Well bully for you. Maybe you don't need a photo at all because you have special sight.

Anyway, I don't think the speed limit there is 30-40kph...

You've a real attitude problem don't you...or is that just behind the safety of your keyboard?

And I never once said it was the speed limit, then again you can be going under the speed limit and still be guilty of dangerous/wreckless driving.

You should be thankful...

The title of the article has already convicted him. Glaring conviction. Should be written as Thai Police officer tragically killed in vehicle crash involving a British driver . Not nearly half of the members who have bashed him would do it then. Yes the photo of the car shows very heavy damage from the bike impacting it. No doubt speed did play a big part of the crash. But was there intent to kill the officer? I think not and publishing the attached article was poor judgement as written. Do we have enough real facts to persecute the Brit? Don't think so. It was an accident anyone of us could of been involved in. Wrong place at the wrong time.

When tourists visit Thailand, many hire high powered vehicles with little or no experience of driving those vehicles, believing that in Thailand all the rules that apply to roads back home, don`t apply here and the word caution, no longer exists in the dictionary.

Whatever, this idiot will end up paying a high price, either by serving a long prison term or costing him every asset he owns. My sincere condolences go out to the family of the victim, 24 year old, a life cut far too short. Hoping he will receive justice.

Well one thing that I have learnt from this thread and my short time as a TVF member....................................

If for any reason I am ever dragged before a court for any reason -- I DO NOT want any TVF members in the jury ( assuming I get a jury).

They would have me convicted , sentenced and probably executed within 1 minute of the charges being read.

Let he/she who is without sin caste the first stone .......................................

Agreed! Way too many bored baksida playing internet cop, judge, and jury.

When tourists visit Thailand, many hire high powered vehicles with little or no experience of driving those vehicles, believing that in Thailand all the rules that apply to roads back home, don`t apply here and the word caution, no longer exists in the dictionary.

Whatever, this idiot will end up paying a high price, either by serving a long prison term or costing him every asset he owns. My sincere condolences go out to the family of the victim, 24 year old, a life cut far too short. Hoping he will receive justice.

where do I hire a high powered vehicle ?

post-87022-0-95368500-1429091568_thumb.j

That's a lot of damage from hitting a motorcyle. w00t.gif

In fact, I'd go to say impossible!

A China/Thai made Mercedes cannot be compared with a real German made Mercedes, they using cheap steel and parts, same look and brand but actually a totally different car. The same for BMW a Thai-made BMW is just not the real thing more an in-brand copy and Volkswagen the same story.

Really! And your proof for this assertion?

This is true.

Vehicles built in South East Asia specifically for the Asian markets, do not meet European and American standards. Japanese and other foreign vehicles exported to the west are built on contract to the requirements of the laws under the vehicle regulation acts as imposed by western countries.

Can`t be bothered supplying sources, suggest you check this out yourself.

Banzai99 - Understandably you've become a little irritated at some of the daft comments which seem to accuse your friend of being in the wrong...

However, on a speculative thread such as this there is no first hand information, and very little 3rd hand information - Thus: Can you offer any further insights ?

I'm sure many of us who drive are following this thread with concern for driver who's possibly innocent of any wrong doing other than being involved and an unavoidable accident.

As many have said it will be interesting to see where this leads.

The driver, Benjamin, told the interrogator that the young cop made the U turn suddenly, cutting into his way.

How can anyone defend the cop. &lt;deleted&gt;, most of us who drive regularly know what the drivers and riders are like in this country, irrespective of poorly designed roads.

We don't know how fast he was going but nevertheless, the young copper was at fault "cutting into his way".

I've hit quite a number of roos growing up in country Aus at varying speeds.

Even under the limit, I've completely destroyed the front end on well made Aussie vehicles.

Easy for many of you to make assertions without having any facts.

Give it a rest &lt;deleted&gt;.

I hope tha they lock this guy up and just throw the keys away.

200m to stop with a motorbike stuck in the front end. What was he driving?, A rocket powered roller skate.

Certainly not competent.

Jerry

The title of the article has already convicted him. Glaring conviction. Should be written as Thai Police officer tragically killed in vehicle crash involving a British driver . Not nearly half of the members who have bashed him would do it then. Yes the photo of the car shows very heavy damage from the bike impacting it. No doubt speed did play a big part of the crash. But was there intent to kill the officer? I think not and publishing the attached article was poor judgement as written. Do we have enough real facts to persecute the Brit? Don't think so. It was an accident anyone of us could of been involved in. Wrong place at the wrong time.

Agree with a number of matters that you have raised but with very few facts available, people should refrain from condemning another until they become more au fait with the overall circumstances, which most likely they never will. I have no idea how the cops here conduct their investigations but back home, depending on the situation, it can take many, many weeks or even months before a conclusion is reached and one party or another is held responsible. There have been many number of crashes involving fatalities where the surviving driver has not been charged, in particular, when all the circumstances are taken into consideration,

Noting that the vehicle pictured, appears to be the same as described in the article, then it would be highly unlikely that the many newspaper reports would display a photograph of a vehicle not involved, so in noting the damage, it could be reasonably accepted that speed (unknown) was but one of a number of contributing factors. Unfortunately, we will never know the rider's version but if a thorough and proper investigation is undertaken, then many conclusions will be reached from the investigation and reconstruction, it the latter is undertaken.

It would be most unlikely that the driver had any intention of killing or even harming anyone. However, if he admitted that he could to stop owing to speed (if over the limit) and was unable to take evasive action then he may have left himself open to being accused of negligent driving occasioning death. However, until all the contributing factors, from both parties are known, then he may or may not be subject to the more serious charge of manslaughter. Until then, no one knows and any conclusions reached are just pure conjecture. It is the duty of Police to investigate for the sole purpose of determining if an act of criminality has occurred on behalf of any person involved, and I don't mean the TVF police. E.G., drink driving, speeding, fatigue, etc.

In addition, despite the media referring to the matter as an accident, police, at least back home, do not use that word when referring to a motor vehicle collision. An accident suggests that an unexpected or an undesired event occurred while a crash is to cause a vehicle to have a collision, to be involved in a crash. In using the word accident it takes away the responsibility from the person who is culpable, through either incompetence, aggression or other failures to drive safely.

This was an accident. It's not like the Brit is the heir to a multi-billion dollar business. He wasn't high on cocaine nor did he drag the body of the police officer. He did not run or hide. Nor did this Brit try to cover up his crime, if you can even call it a crime, to anyone. What was the payout in the other case? If memory serves it was around 100,000 baht. That should put all parties in order, right?

Crazy Brit. You don't visit a foreign country, rent a car, and drive with reckless abandon. You don't know the roads and you are a guest.

I hope they lock up Mr. Benjamin in a Thai prison cell for a few years and not just let him go back to the island after paying off the officer's family.

My condolences to Police Lance Corporal Wiroon's family and friends. Terrible that this happens at the end of the Songkran holiday.

Yet, you condemn the guy to a prison sentence. What if it's found out that the car driver had not a trace of alcohol or other substance and that it was an accident at 2:40am.

The impact hurled the motorcycle about 200 meters away from car

He was speeding at the minimum.

I always assume a maniac is going to pull out without looking or cut across my path while driving, and take appropriate precautions. Driving at a slow speed when appropriate is one precaution.

If only for speeding he should pay the family, but perhaps a prison term would be excessive if the cop did cause the accident.

The impact hurled the motorcycle about 200 meters away from car

He was speeding at the minimum.

I always assume a maniac is going to pull out without looking or cut across my path while driving, and take appropriate precautions. Driving at a slow speed when appropriate is one precaution.

If only for speeding he should pay the family, but perhaps a prison term would be excessive if the cop did cause the accident.

Don't hang onto the 200m - that is just a witnesses guess not a factual measurement.

200m is more than likely a guess made my either someone at the scene or the writer of the initial article... A lot of people are showing their naivety somewhat by hanging on the 200m comment...

Have you ever asked anyone, especially a Thai person to judge a distance? - they'll often guesstimate something as erroneous as 50m being 200m...

Thus: Don't hold too much credit to the written article, I'd be quite sure that 200m is not a factual measurement.

Archived