Entering Thailand with Thai Passport in maiden name

ellathai

Hi everyone

If my wife departed Australia on her Australian passport in her married name arrived in Thailand on her Thai passport in her maiden name then reversed all that for departing Thailand would there be a problem? Have any of your wives done this without problems?

l have read somewhere where someone did this but can't find it again and we are considering doing this.

Thanks

Bruce

Moving to travel forum.

The problem I see is as an Australian you only get Passport scanned on departure. If you arrive to Thailand & enter with Thai passport, where is your departure stamp from Australia?

Again re entering Australia, can't show where you have been.

Many, many countries don't stamp on departure, the UK doesn't even check on departure, so lack of stamps won't be an issue.

Only possible problem would be boarding the flight back as the ticket will be in her married name, could need to show both passports to the check-in staff (only if a problem comes up).

Not a problem, and avoids the need for a visa in her Aussie passport, if she's staying longer than 30 days.

Many dual-nationals use their Thai-passport to enter/leave Thailand , and their other passport, to enter/leave the destination-country.

Forgot to mention the Thai passport would NOT have a re-entry visa for Australia as she is a Australian citizen

Still not a problem, you simply show the airline both at check-in, so they know she won't be refused-entry at the destination, and then use the appropriate one at each Immigration desk.

My American/Thai wife did this several times going between the US and Thailand. Eventually she registered the marriage with the amphur and changed her name to her married name. Got a new id card and passport. Don't remember whether immigration insisted she do this or whether she just decided on her own.

Yeah, my wife does it every trip to Thailand, no problem.

I think she shows just her Australian passport at every airline check-in (ie, SYD and BKK), but may show her Thai one as well in BKK. But she only shows one passport at each immigration check point.

My wife has her married name in both passports though, so you will want to clarify that point - if someone were on a flight as 'Mrs Falang' but turned up at BKK immigration as 'Ms Somchai', would that cause any grief? ie, do the airlines supply a list of incoming passengers to immigration?

Edit: Added maiden name paragraph

Edited by moojar

• 8 months later...

A search got me to this topic :-)

So, similar to the original poster, my wife has a U.K. passport in her married name, and Thai passport in her maiden name. So when we travel to Thailand, is the best procedure:

- buy air ticket in married name

- check in with UK passport and pass through UK immigration with same

- boarding pass is therefore in married name same as ticket

- on arrival in Thailand she switches to Thai passport at Thai passport control (but is it an issue that the boarding pass and ticket are in different name to that ? I think it may be essential to take the marriage certificate as well)

on the return journey

- have to check in with UK passport in married name again, to match the ticket

- switch to Thai passport to pass through Thai passport control

- on arrival in UK, UK passport of course

On both legs, it is Thai passport control that could be tricky. Any advice ? I really wish she had got the UK passport in her maiden name, I told her to do that, but bless her she wanted to sound more British, so chose the married name.

Edited by Tuvoc

A search got me to this topic :-)

So, similar to the original poster, my wife has a U.K. passport in her married name, and Thai passport in her maiden name. So when we travel to Thailand, is the best procedure:

- buy air ticket in married name

- check in with UK passport and pass through UK immigration with same

- boarding pass is therefore in married name same as ticket

- on arrival in Thailand she switches to Thai passport at Thai passport control (but is it an issue that the boarding pass and ticket are in different name to that ? I think it may be essential to take the marriage certificate as well)

on the return journey

- have to check in with UK passport in married name again, to match the ticket

- switch to Thai passport to pass through Thai passport control

- on arrival in UK, UK passport of course

On both legs, it is Thai passport control that could be tricky. Any advice ? I really wish she had got the UK passport in her maiden name, I told her to do that, but bless her she wanted to sound more British, so chose the married name.

To cut the Gordian knot, she should register the marriage with the Amphur and get a Thai ID card and passport in her married name. Otherwise, headaches may occur.