Most Thais want to directly elect PM: survey

webfact

Most Thais want to directly elect PM: survey

BANGKOK: -- An opinion survey carried out by the Political Development Council found that 70 per cent of 1, 478 respondents want to elect the prime minister directly, the council's president, Thirapat Serirangsan, said Thursday.

He said the survey was carried out in 55 provinces from March 1 to 25.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Most-Thais-want-to-directly-elect-PM-survey-30258078.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-16

What most Thais want is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is what the General and the elite want.

If it is true what you say, why would they contact a survey and why would they publish the results?

I do believe they will follow the peoples wishes that in this case I don't think they are unreasonable.

You are the unreasonable one posting nonsense.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What most Thais want is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is what the General and the elite want.

Well there's a valuable post with a number of logical and constructive comments.

• Like 1

Well, if he is directly elected, he is not a Prime Minister, since A PM is the leading Minister of a group of representatives elected by the people. I would presume that he would now be called the President . ...and what, pray tell would be the mechanism, to ensure that the President can form a working government from within the area/party representatives who are elected or appointed.

Perhaps it is the purpose of this system to be dysfunctional, with a President and representatives who can not work together, rather like the USA. Smart plan by the General.

The country has 76 provinces, and provinces are highly politicized. Why on earth would such an important poll ignore every opinion from over a third of the country?

Take a guess -- and the first two don't count.

Further, the confidence index of a 70% result from a sample of less than fifteen hundred is very low.

In short, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind...the key word being blowing here.

I wish they would directly elect a PM -- and use a poll to prove the Thai nationals' opinions that does not come across like a badly organized media blitz.

All countries generate propaganda, but most follow the rule: "If you use facts to back up a desired outcome, make sure those facts are either lies, damn lies, or statistics that cannot be questioned. What knuckleheads.