Songkran tourist arrivals fall short of expectations

webfact

SONGKRAN FESTIVAL
Tourist arrivals fall short of expectations

SUCHAT SRITAMA
The Nation

The turnout of inbound tourists for the Thai New Year was somewhat disappointing due to limited airline capacity and the bombing in Koh Samui days before the Songkran festival.

However, hotels in key destinations were almost all filled up during the holidays, mostly with locals.

Chiang Mai remained the top getaway choice to spend Songkran.

Supawan Tanomkieatipume, vice president of the Thai Hotels Association, said yesterday that the number of tourists from Japan and South Korea dropped slightly due to the shortage of seats for inbound travellers throughout this week.

This year's festivities couldn't attract a lot of Western tourists as they preferred to visit the country on their summer vacation starting in October.

"The Songkran Festival drew only individual tourists and specific groups, those that had planned to come and celebrate their holidays in Thailand, mostly from Singapore, Hong Kong, China and some from Europe.

"The event is not for all tourists," she said.

April is normally slow for business meetings and events, especially in Bangkok because of the long weekend. Only hotels located near Silom and Khao San operated at nearly 100-per-cent room capacity while the overall hotel business in the capital was unchanged from last year.

Occupancy rates ran from 50-60 per cent in the month and up to 70 per cent during Songkran. The blast in Koh Samui last Friday night sent shockwaves not only through Koh Samui but also Phuket. However, all events went on as planned.

Hotels in Koh Samui and Phuket were about 70 per cent sold out this week, compared to the average of 60 per cent in the other weeks of April.

"If there had been no bombing ahead of Songkran, Thailand would have had more tourists," she added.

La-iad Bungsrithong, president of the Thai Hotel Association's Northern Chapter, said hotels in Chiang Mai had more than 95 per cent occupancy, as a lot of tourists and locals flocked to the city to celebrate Songkran.

"Chiang Mai remained the top destination for Songkran. This year, many Chinese entered Chiang Mai for Songkran," she said.

According to a representative of the Thai Travel Agents Association, the outbound travel body, 200,000-300,000 Thais were expected to have travelled abroad during Songkran. Japan was the top destination followed by South Korea and Hong Kong.

Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said 500,000 visitors entered the country during Songkran and spent up to Bt7.5 billion while here.

About 2 million locals are expected to travel within the country.

The ministry and the Tourism Authority of Thailand hope that the remaining Songkran events - one in Pattaya and the other in Phrapradaeng - would attract more tourists and locals into the areas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Tourist-arrivals-fall-short-of-expectations-30258101.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-17

The turnout of inbound tourists for the Thai New Year was somewhat disappointing due to limited airline capacity

Well, whos fault was that then.

Like puppy sitting next to a big pile of pooh with a ''it wasn't me'' face.

I would wager that is nonsense anyway. How many Thaivisa members ever are unable to fly due to seat unavailability? You may not get your airline of choice on a specific day, but there are always plenty of seats. I changed a BA ticket for a return on the 22nd (my preferred date) with absolutely no trouble at all.

This year's festivities couldn't attract a lot of Western tourists as they preferred to visit the country on their summer vacation starting in October.

?????

Errrrrrrr which holiday would that be??

Probably spring half-term knowing the TAT...

So they should be seriously looing into what factors caused the short fall in tourists arrivals and devise a plan to correct the situation, but pretty confident that it will not be long before TAT come out and say tourist spending actually surpassed the target and arrivals for the year are ahead of target.

Thailand is known for sweeping failures under the rug and not addressing them

?????

Halloween, of course. Every year I decorate the Halloween tree, hide the Halloween eggs, and book my international Halloween vacation. Doesn't everybody?

• Like 2

How could this guy become "Vice President of the Thai Hotel Association"? :

"This year's festivities couldn't attract a lot of Western tourists as they preferred to visit the country on their summer vacation starting in October."

ROFL

He should know that the summer vacations of this customer segment are July to August....

Edited by BernieOnTour
  • Like 1

I was interested to notice that the fairly high cost National Georgraphic tours do not include Thailand. They do however include the neighbours.

A sign of too many years of exploitation and disrespect of tourists.

• Like 1

Maybe Songkran does fill a few hotel rooms and put some bums on restaurant seats but other than that I don't see people spending much money.

I know I have saved thousands of Bhat this week over my normal spending.

Exactly for so many of us staying at home. Then there's the crap about domestic tourism which is only people going home to stay with family so no hotel bills or eating out etc yet TAT and the Woman From The Ministry can pluck amazing figures out of thin air.

?????

How can you attract tourists if you do not know a simple thing like when summer vacation starts. October? summer is over the leaves are changing color its all over but the crying by then.

• Like 2

HOTEL BOOKINGS ? there is a sentence i have a job getting my head around quote "70 % sold out" ?? When i went to school 100% was "sold out"

it has to be "hotel jargon" as i read this many times (so that is 30% unsold is it not ?? )

i agree with post 15, most people in the uk, have a two week holiday, so for a start it is not realy viable, first because it is to dam far, and secondly you would lose about 4 of those days what with time zones jet lag etc, so a 10 day holiday,, no chance, when spain is only 2 hours away, i like the "october " quote

• Like 1

I expect arrivals will be up after Songkran hub bub fully over. I know I'll be one.... Regarding summer vacation in October, perhaps they were thinking of tourists from Australia, South America, South Africa..... but I doubt it....