Prayut asks for understanding from media

webfact

Prayut asks for understanding from media

4-17-2015-9-14-43-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Friday began reporting to the public his government's first six months in office at 9.00 am today.

Before going into details of not only his government’s work but also of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), Gen Prayut admitted he prayed in the morning with the Lord Buddha to make him calm and be more patient.

He admitted that he was a sort of person who got angry easily and spoke straightforwardly but assured that he would try to calm himself from now.

He began his address by urging the media to understand what his government was doing and try to present facts to the public and refrain from what he described as creating “discourse” to discredit his government.

He identified phrases of “doing for the poor”, ” first car for the people”, “unfair justice system” “retention of power” were always cited and repeated by critics which he said these should be stopped as it merely wrecked morale of those who have devoted themselves to work.

He reiterated that his government and the NCPO were determined to work for the interest of the people, not any certain group of people.

He said all his cabinet ministers were forced to work for the country by him and therefore critics should understand and not just criticise blindly.

He asked for cooperation from the media to stop running comments from people who always complaining of injustices or being treated unjustly despite that they were the group of people who always rejected to enter legal process, and always denied doing wrong even though evidence was apparent.

He also asked that the media stop running “hate speech” saying it was useless and only widen the conflict in the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-asks-for-understanding-from-media

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-17

I'll give him his due: He'll never lose face.

Cos he's always got the same bloody one!

Same frown; same half-efforted kind of a smiley, which makes him look kinda like a member of the Tufty club lost in Tinsel Town.

So he prays in the morning WITH the Lord Buddha. He's sure extended his visitor list, way beyond that of China and Russia and North Korea. Even the Buddha visits his home now. w00t.gif

Maybe he's just being humble and self-effacing and didn't want to say that actually the Lord Buddha comes to pray with him.

Did he preface his speech by thanking costas for his unfailing, unwavering support ?

I also support the general for what he is trying to achieve for the country which includes those of us expats that live here.

Given the choice between the last few prime minsters including Thaksin, Abhisit and Yingluck he is doing a better job than any one of them.

• Like 2

I cannot help comparing this line from the op -

"He asked for cooperation from the media to stop running comments from people who always complaining of injustices or being treated unjustly despite that they were the group of people who always rejected to enter legal process, and always denied doing wrong even though evidence was apparent."

To this, from the Committee to Protect Journalists website, June 15, 2006 -

"The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns Thailand’s caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s continuing use of criminal defamation charges to silence critical media outlets. The most recent charges, filed on Wednesday, targeted three Thai-language dailies, Matichon, Khao Sod and Daily News."

Seems like the current PM is not the only one who has had "issues" with the media. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Did he preface his speech by thanking costas for his unfailing, unwavering support ?

I also support the general for what he is trying to achieve for the country which includes those of us expats that live here.

Given the choice between the last few prime minsters including Thaksin, Abhisit and Yingluck he is doing a better job than any one of them.

I support my young dog too, in trying to learn to fetch a ball. It's a complicated learning process for an animal that doesn't fully comprehend new surroundings, once removed from the busom of comfort. However, the dog is trying, even though the ball often gets dropped on the way back because of distractions and insecurities.

I hope the dog learns the ropes sooner or later, or the task at hand shall be totally corrupted by interferences of lack of knowledge and a true desire to fetch the ball.

• Like 1

"He asked for cooperation from the media to stop running comments from people who always complaining of injustices or being treated unjustly despite that they were the group of people who always rejected to enter legal process, and always denied doing wrong even though evidence was apparent."

"The Committee to Protect Journalists condemns Thailand’s caretaker prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s continuing use of criminal defamation charges to silence critical media outlets. The most recent charges, filed on Wednesday, targeted three Thai-language dailies, Matichon, Khao Sod and Daily News."

Seems like the current PM is not the only one who has had "issues" with the media. whistling.gif

Like it or not there is no real simplicity in all this.Elsewhere in this thread I pointed out it was Thaksin that made universal healthcare irreversible in Thailand.(Don't bother telling me he didn't originate the idea - I know that).

He was also a rotten example for democracy - authoritarian, meglomaniac and opponent of the free press.Nevertheless he opened Thailand up to democracy and undermined the vested interests of the old elites.(Not from noble motives - I know that)

Prayuth is even worse than Thaksin in terms of intimidating the press.But at the same time he has brought a kind of peace to the country - which most appreciate even if with some reservations about methods.

And I would not be honest if I suggested he does not have broad middle class support.Yet it is an illegitimate, ludicrous and incompetent setup.

Meanwhile the essential difficulties facing the country have been kicked into touch.Nothing has been solved.

Unless there is understanding of nuance and complexity there is no understanding.There are no storybook villains or heroes.

Good post jayboy, and surprisingly I agree with you for a change.

All we need is an elected government with the political wisdom of Thaksin, the peacekeeping capabilities of Prayuth, and a kind, open and honest attitude towards the population and Thailand will be better off for it.

(I believe we need a few more things to happen but I won't overstep the mark right now and list them for fear of starting an argument) biggrin.png

Like it or not there is no real simplicity in all this.Elsewhere in this thread I pointed out it was Thaksin that made universal healthcare irreversible in Thailand.(Don't bother telling me he didn't originate the idea - I know that).

He was also a rotten example for democracy - authoritarian, meglomaniac and opponent of the free press.Nevertheless he opened Thailand up to democracy and undermined the vested interests of the old elites.(Not from noble motives - I know that)

Prayuth is even worse than Thaksin in terms of intimidating the press.But at the same time he has brought a kind of peace to the country - which most appreciate even if with some reservations about methods.

And I would not be honest if I suggested he does not have broad middle class support.Yet it is an illegitimate, ludicrous and incompetent setup.

Meanwhile the essential difficulties facing the country have been kicked into touch.Nothing has been solved.

Unless there is understanding of nuance and complexity there is no understanding.There are no storybook villains or heroes.

Good post jayboy, and surprisingly I agree with you for a change.

All we need is an elected government with the political wisdom of Thaksin, the peacekeeping capabilities of Prayuth, and a kind, open and honest attitude towards the population and Thailand will be better off for it.

(I believe we need a few more things to happen but I won't overstep the mark right now and list them for fear of starting an argument) biggrin.png

How about that! For once I find myself in agreement with you Mike! Well said.

The difference from then and now is the degree of control over the media permitted as a result of the implementation of the all-embracing Article 44 and the fact that defamation charges initiated by the Shinawatra regime (for which I hold no brief) were contestable in a civil court.

It's all lovely words and no lovely deeds. Let's wait and see how long it will be before he shoots himself in the foot again with his brand new Russian gun...

or maybe his new chinese gun ?

He admitted that he was a sort of person who got angry easily and spoke straightforwardly but assured that he would try to calm himself from now.

So he actually admitted that he is not qualified for a job as leader of a country.

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1