New DSLR, what Lens? What to do with Manual Stuff?

I just upgraded from a D90 to a D7200. I have a Nikkor 18 - 55G VRII and an older Nikkor 80 - 200D. I seldom use the 18 - 55, and don't even carry it much. I have been considering adding a Nikkor 55 - 300G VR. or 18 - 200 VR DX, and I am leaning towards the longer lens. Thoughts? Is there a better lens to consider?

I have a mint condition black Nikon FE body, motor drive (MD 12) and a bunch of old manual lenses. I hate to throw this stuff away, but it gets no use. is there a market for it? Does it have any value?

Thanks,

Edited by Thailaw

^^^ What's your budget for a new lens?

That 18-55 is a surprisingly sharp lens for being cheap & plastic. You should use

it & BTW...it's much cheaper than the 17-55 @ 2.8 . I'd go for the 70-300 as it's a

semi-pro lens. The 18-200 is ok if you only want a single, do all lens. It's ok

for traveling too as it has the most common ranges used all in one lens. Before

you buy it though test it out as some have rather soft focus....some...not all.

Niks 16-85 f4.0 is also a good substitute if you must dump the 18-55.

But why dump the 18-55? I have one in my bag at all times just in case one

of my other "pro" lenses take a nasty hit. The 18-55 costs only around 100-

150 USD anywhere on this planet...easily replaceable without hurting the wallet.

Which 80-200 are you in reference to? The AFD @ 2.8 or the 4.5-5.6 jobber?

If the 2.8...Keep It! It's as good as Niks 70-200 @ 2.8 VR2 built like a tank.

Works good on DX and gives you a nice reach on the long end too.

Your old film camera has good value today but not like it was when new.

You can still shoot film....there's many places in LOS for processing & printing.

Invest in a dry box/cabinet too. You won't regret the cost & they're not that pricey

compared to having work done on a lens to remove fungus/replace lens elements

or a complete lens replacement.

Edited by sunshine51

You can still shoot film....there's many places in LOS for processing & printing.

Budget is probably around B20,000, but I'd go higher for a "special" lens that allowed me to do more than the lenses I mentioned. The 55 - 300 is a popular lens and gets good reviews, and I want something "portable" and not overly heavy or especially large.

I know that I can use film, and maybe I should but I don't. With good film processing, you get what you shoot, which may be good or may be bad. But with digital and a good photo adjusting/enhancing software, I can get pretty good pictures/prints from some rather poor shots, especially in low light conditions. I do this a lot with my Nikon 1, perhaps it will be less of an issue with my D7200, we'll see. Perhaps I'll try a roll of film from time to time and see what the difference really it. Good thought.

That 18-55 is a surprisingly sharp lens for being cheap & plastic. You should use

it & BTW...it's much cheaper than the 17-55 @ 2.8 . I'd go for the 70-300 as it's a

semi-pro lens. The 18-200 is ok if you only want a single, do all lens. It's ok

for traveling too as it has the most common ranges used all in one lens. Before

you buy it though test it out as some have rather soft focus....some...not all.

Niks 16-85 f4.0 is also a good substitute if you must dump the 18-55.

But why dump the 18-55? I have one in my bag at all times just in case one

of my other "pro" lenses take a nasty hit. The 18-55 costs only around 100-

150 USD anywhere on this planet...easily replaceable without hurting the wallet.

Which 80-200 are you in reference to? The AFD @ 2.8 or the 4.5-5.6 jobber?

If the 2.8...Keep It! It's as good as Niks 70-200 @ 2.8 VR2 built like a tank.

Works good on DX and gives you a nice reach on the long end too.

Invest in a dry box/cabinet too. You won't regret the cost & they're not that pricey

compared to having work done on a lens to remove fungus/replace lens elements

or a complete lens replacement.

Thanks for the helpful post. I have no intention of selling the 18-55 VRII lens. The 80 - 200 is the 2.8D, and I will definitely keep that also. And I agree that the 70 - 300 or the 55 - 300 is probably my best choice of a lens to add to what I have. I'll keep the D90 and mount the 18 - 55 on it and have it available.

It is the old FE body, motor drive, and old manual focus lenses that I will probably sell. Dry storage is also a good idea. I'll look into that. Where can dry boxes be found?

Dry boxes & cabinets can be found in any decent camera store in BKK.

Try AV Camera, Big Camera etc. Google em.

You can also use your manual lenses on your new 7200. Just remember

to set the A/M switch on the body to M.

Dry boxes are a must to protect you glass, though I never buy expensive cabinets or boxes. I just go to the supermarket buy some super lock boxes add your silica gels packs^^

Mobil (the oil company) used to make this dessicant that was reusable for ages back

in the 80's & 90's. It came in cloth bags with a tie-string on it emblazoned with the

Mobile logo. They were kinda brown when dry then turned a reddish colour when

needing drying out and to dry em out all you did was put a bag in the overn on low

heat until the colour returned. Or you could dump the beads onto a cookie sheet

then via a funnel put em back in the bag! I bought a huge box of the things when I

first heard about it as many photogs in HK did. I tossed the last bag out 10 years

ago...too many cycles in the oven I reckon.

I wish I had a box today even though I have a couple dry cabinets for film & TV

gear. Good back up stuff that "rechargable" Mobile brand dessicant!

Edited by sunshine51

I'd go for the 70-300 as it's a semi-pro lens.

+1

great lens . . . make sure it's the newer ED VR version though (i'm sure that's what SS was recommending too) it's very sharp.

Dat be da one GH...excellent lens.

• Like 1

GH...

I used to have one & loved it for doing street portraits and also for small telephoto use.

Bit chunky but very sharp. It's a good one to have in a bag.

BTW...it was the Nikkor 135 AiS @ 2.8

edit to add last line....

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

^^^^ One of Steve McCurry's most used lenses.

Edit: I'm thinking of the 105 f2.5.

RW...Have a look around for the 135...they're quite reasonable nowadays but

maybe hard to find here in LOS. A couple hundred US in HK though or less

for one in really good nick.

To me...the 105 is also really nice but after using a 135 the 105 just

doesn't cut it...just my opinion tho...

I'd go for the 70-300 as it's a semi-pro lens.

+1

great lens . . . make sure it's the newer ED VR version though (i'm sure that's what SS was recommending too) it's very sharp.

Dat be da one GH...excellent lens.

Thanks for the help, SS, GH, et al. I ordered the 70 - 300G ED VR from HK. Should have it in about 1 week. In the meantime, I have my 80 - 200 on my 7200 while I learn all of the buttons, knobs and wheels. I like it so far.

Thanks again.

TL

^^^ PR...If the OP is gonna import into LOS he will get slammed by HM's Customs for duty.

That Shashinki web site is good...lotta stuff we can't easily get here and it's only a short

hop to KL then Johor.....or if you know somebody down there who will hold it for you till

you arrive.....ideas?!

I love my 18-200 lens

the other one i carry sometimes is my 24 mm 2.8

but if i could, would love the new 24 1.4!!

http://shashinki.com/shop/cabinet-c-36.html

has a good supply of dry box's and about 50% cheaper than they sell in Thailand

I have the AS-31

Taking the AS-31 as an example, shipping costs to Thailand almost double the cost; and then you will pay tax on the total cost including shipping. And if it goes wrong you will have to try and persuade the Thailand agent to handle it....

Cheaper and safer to buy in Thailand. I have bought two from AV camera over the years and they will EMS to your home for a lot less money.

• Like 1

Sip satang regarding Shashinki....they are expensive and...not everything they list is in stock.

That said they do have in stock many things. Better to go there and buy if you can, than to

ship to LOS for reasons previously stated.

Sip satang regarding Shashinki....they are expensive and...not everything they list is in stock.

That said they do have in stock many things. Better to go there and buy if you can, than to

I agree. I looked at the Shashinki site with the link provided, and the shipping more than doubles the cost delivered to Thailand. It still may be cheaper than what is available here, but I have my doubts. I'll do some looking. In the mean time, I went to Home Pro and after 30 minutes of trying to explain what I wanted with only "mai khao jai", a Thai woman came and helped me who understood at least "dehumidifier" and was able to direct me to the dehumidifier kits, which were both the disposable and refillable types. I chose the disposable kit for the first go. I have a sturdy plastic box with a lockable lid, so I put all of my equipment -- 4 camera bodies, 6 lenses and my Nikon 1 and a point-and-shoot Sony -- in the box with the dehumidifier kit and locked it tight. The woman thought that in a small confined enclosure, the dehumidifier would last about 6 months. If it works, it will be a good and economical solution.

Still waiting for my lens.....

I agree. I looked at the Shashinki site with the link provided, and the shipping more than doubles the cost delivered to Thailand. It still may be cheaper than what is available here, but I have my doubts. I'll do some looking. In the mean time, I went to Home Pro and after 30 minutes of trying to explain what I wanted with only "mai khao jai", a Thai woman came and helped me who understood at least "dehumidifier" and was able to direct me to the dehumidifier kits, which were both the disposable and refillable types. I chose the disposable kit for the first go. I have a sturdy plastic box with a lockable lid, so I put all of my equipment -- 4 camera bodies, 6 lenses and my Nikon 1 and a point-and-shoot Sony -- in the box with the dehumidifier kit and locked it tight. The woman thought that in a small confined enclosure, the dehumidifier would last about 6 months. If it works, it will be a good and economical solution.

Still waiting for my lens.....

Try here:

http://shop.worldcamera.co.th/product.php?cgid=8&cid=58