Renewing a Extension in a New Passport.

A friend of mine has just rung me and said .....His old passport is just about to finish so he has been to Bangkok to pick up his new passport.

He went to Chonburi Immigration with all his new paperwork for a new one year extension.Although his extension does not run out until September he knew that Immigration no longer transfered old extensions into a new passport and was prepared to lose 5 months of his old extension.But when he was interview he was told he must wait for his old extension to run out before a new one can be issued.

As his old passport has it's corner cut off how does he travel ? Does he just staple his old and new passport together or has he misunderstood what the Immigration has told him.!!

What are the normal procedures when obtaining a new passport and the renewing of a new extension ??

Edited by martin501

Per above, he should have the stamps transferred and coming September he applies for the new extension, before his current one expires.

It seems they focused on the new extension and forgot about transferring the details to the new passport. He will need an embassy letter for this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Your friend should have asked for the relevant stamps in the old passport to be transferred to the new one.

I thought they no longer did that ?? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

Suggest you re read the content off that link !

Your friend should have asked for the relevant stamps in the old passport to be transferred to the new one.

I thought they no longer did that ?? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

So how come he managed to get his passport stamped for an extension until September, then, if it is "just about to finish" (which any reasonable person would, of course, take as meaning rather sooner than September)? Under the old rules which have been superseded by those referred to in your linked thread, he should have been given an extension up to the expiry date of his old passport and, in due course, returned to Immigration to be stamped in for the remainder of his extension period in his new passport. Alas, that, as your linked thread makes clear, is no longer possible.

Edited by OJAS

Somehow some people misread that topic and twisted it into thinking that they no longer transferred the stamps. If you read a few posts in it you will find info that makes it clear that is not the case.

This from the immigration website main page makes it clear about the change. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

" According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day."

There is no mention of the stamps not being transferred.

So how come he managed to get his passport stamped for an extension until September, then, if it is "just about to finish" (which any reasonable person would, of course, take as meaning rather sooner than September)? Under the old rules which have been superseded by those referred to in your linked thread, he should have been given an extension up to the expiry date of his old passport and, in due course, returned to Immigration to be stamped in for the remainder of his extension period in his new passport. Alas, that, as your linked thread makes clear, is no longer possible.

I have just spoken again to my friend ( he is getting on in years rolleyes.gif ) and asked him to look in his new passport.!!!

He's told me there are new stamps in there...... for up until his old extensions needs renewing .

So thanks guys... yes they do transfer extensions into new passports smile.png

I don't know ..maybe the Immigration office didn't check the expiry date on his passport !!

As for any reasonable person!!!...he is 85 ,,,give the poor chap a break tongue.png