EBR goes down- another loser for Erik Buell

EBR (Erik Buell Racing) filed for bankruptcy- it's a shame as their new superbikes looked great and got some very favorable reviews- I think his price-point was just too close to established brands to be competitive (a Panigale was a way safe choice, i.e.)- he likely won't make another comeback under his own brand name, but I could be wrong about that...

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/04/15/erik-buell-racing-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-and-ceases-operations/

EBRside_450.jpg

^

I don't think they're very pretty, but those are awesome brakes- from a Cycle World article:

One of EBRs (and Buells) long-standing signature features is the single 386mm perimeter brake disc with an inside-out eight-piston Nissin caliper. Out back is a Hayes two-piston caliper with a 220mm disc.

post-176811-0-65509300-1429263163_thumb.

^

I don't think they're very pretty, but those are awesome brakes- from a Cycle World article:

One of EBRs (and Buells) long-standing signature features is the single 386mm perimeter brake disc with an inside-out eight-piston Nissin caliper. Out back is a Hayes two-piston caliper with a 220mm disc.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A very innovative and practical design. Wasn't he also the first to have the centrally placed exhaust box under the engine. Something that even the Japanese are copying now. (Where is LL2 to catch that line! 555) Edited by DILLIGAD

Some very clever design features and it gave a more useable amount of power and torque throughout the midrange than Ducati .Some reports sugest the front brake wasnt perfect - too much rotational mass . If they continue to supply service parts (machines , casts designs etc are built already - could Hero do this ) and sell of the remaining stock at half price , it would be more than tempting , but at what cost when shiped to Thailand ? .

When his previous company went under, leftover bikes were going for close to half of MSRP- if you lived in the States, would you be willing to risk scarcity of parts and service for a cheap superbike? I probably wouldn't, but I'd be tempted.wink.png

At a near half of MSRP you could get 2 bikes and keep one for the spares.

Personally, if it was a bike I really wanted and it went for near half a price, I'd probably get it regardless of the availability of parts.

• Like 1

Pity.

Buell is simply ahead of what the market wants.

I think he did make the under engine exhaust popular.

I don't know anything about the EBR, but the old Buells put fuel in the frame and oil in the swingarm.

Great ideas that would be great for others to follow.

I'm just guessing that any current remaining stock will go cheaply as that's what happened last time- granted, he had several way less expensive models in his line-up before, and that also made a difference- there likely aren't as many of the 1190 models in existence (the initial production run was supposed to be 100 bikes, and I don't know if they even made that many- there likely won't be much of an aftermarket, and it likely wouldn't be worth it for a another company to make parts for so few motorcycles).

One thing about Buells, though, was a deserved reputation for suspect quality- I knew a few people who owned his bikes when he was running the Buell Motorcycle Company (which was backed by Harley Davidson and went under in 2009), and they all suffered either minor or major problems. Granted, I never heard anything either way about his new company (nor do I know of anyone who owned one of the new motorcycles)- but the reputation of the former company alone would have made be worried about buying one- sometimes innovation isn't a good thing when it leans toward being experimental- I wouldn't want to be a test-pilot for their R&D department.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown