TM-30 Form

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels  who accommodate foreign nationals on a TEMPORARY basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

A person on a Retirement Visa lodging for 1 year or more is not temporary basis lodging, is it?  So on that basis, I would say , by Thai law, you would not have to register via TM30 if lodging long term.  Reporting addresses on arrival card and by the 90 day method surely would be enough and following the rule of law.

And if you consider "1 year" = temporary, can I convince you that staying in your own condo full time forever is not lodging temporarily, surely?

Heading out from your permanent lodging to stay in a hotel would then bring the TM30 into play.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay
I don't make the rules. I just follow them.
Have  a rippa day everyone.

22 minutes ago, stud858 said:

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels  who accommodate foreign nationals on a TEMPORARY basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

A person on a Retirement Visa lodging for 1 year or more is not temporary basis lodging, is it?  So on that basis, I would say , by Thai law, you would not have to register via TM30 if lodging long term.  Reporting addresses on arrival card and by the 90 day method surely would be enough and following the rule of law.

And if you consider "1 year" = temporary, can I convince you that staying in your own condo full time forever is not lodging temporarily, surely?

Heading out from your permanent lodging to stay in a hotel would then bring the TM30 into play.

The immigration act does not mention anything about owning or even living in your own condo making a difference, so an immigration officer will not take that into account. They couldn't care less about the fact that you own or live in that place.

You are in Thailand because you have an extension of the initial permission to stay, and yes that still is temporarily. It doesn't make you a citizen or give you rights, just the duty of having to ask for extending that permission to stay every year. If something doesn't add up in that request you will be given 7 days to clear it up, or you will just have to leave before the 7 day permission to stay is over. 

The rules, additional or not, are made up by the office you have to go to to take care of the extension and 90 days reports. Our interpretation of how it is written and should be done doesn't matter. Complaining will most likely be followed by "another rule", this time made up by the immigration officer you are dealing with.

I say have a TM 30 ready to hand over when asked for, and also have B 1600.- with you to pay the fine for not having done that before.

• Like 1

Hi Carib, I agree with you.  I have the form and the money and will have a smile on my face whatever happens.

But I feel an explanation to the immigration officer that what they wish to happen should be updated on their website because what they may be doing is not what their website backs up and it makes it confusing for everyone.

There is no mention that if you "stay" temporarily that you have to do it. The immigration website text relates to the "accommodation" being temporary and not that you are temporarily in the country.

Accommodation together with the word temporary is the key point here in which I had to slow down and read the sentence over again to make sure I got the correct meaning.   The only added information to the actual "staying" in the country is the world "legally". 

I believe the original author/s of such a rule wanted to keep an eye on people who traveled around a lot away from their usual accommodation listed in their arrival card and 90 reporting which wouldn't cater for this movement so I think the original intention is quite a sensible one.

So, I would like to think I could politely point this out and have the situation changed for the better for both parties involved.  Let's change the world together.  Thai Visa Rocks!

Peace to you all.

I've noticed my condo's reception asking for copies of passports for all new people staying at the building.

I'll ask tomorrow if they are reporting all Falang residents to immigration anyway. 

Does anybody else know of Juristic persons at condos forwarding on Falang info to immigration.

Will check back later.

D

5 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Does anybody else know of Juristic persons at condos forwarding on Falang info to immigration.

@NancyL has reported that some condo buildings in Chiang Mai report foreigners to Immigrations.  I guess folks in those condo buildings report to their front desk every time they return from an overnight stay away from home?

FYI, in other threads it also has been mentioned that some Immigrations offices are giving individuals (farang) a number and password so that individuals can report their new TM.30 updates online in the same manner that hotels do.  Of course, there is no consistency among Immigrations offices:  only some offices are doing this.

Guess I for sure didn't make it clear. It's confusing only because the law hasn't been enforced in the past and suddenly it's being enforced. How it's being enforced or your interpretation of the law doesn't carry any weight with Immigration. The point is that if you don't have the TM30 stub stapled to your passport when you go in for a visa extension (or 90 day report some are saying), that you're liable for a 1,600 baht fine. I've lived with my wife in her house for 8 years, she didn't believe me, and then she was fined 1,600 baht and had to provide a copy of her ID. The yellow book means nothing, the definition of temporary means nothing. If you haven't got the TM30 stub, you don't get an extension. The former habits may hang on at certain Immigration offices and people may be dragging their feet, but it's a lot easier to get your ducks lined up. Also, if you decide to leave the country to get a new visa, you still have to have a TM30 within 24 hours of arrival. This was all explained very well in the article I linked to in my last post. CM Immigration took a lot of time to corroborate all these things to my incredulous little wife, I can't see how it's realistic to require all householders to go to Immigration personally, but my advice is to do what they ask. How the law is implemented is their business. Don't let me stop you from trying to change their minds, that is certainly well worth doing, but please come back and tell us how far you got. I see my link to the commercial website was removed, so maybe it's okay if I just say Google TM30 form required and pick and choose for the best information. How about the 3rd down, Bangkok Immigration, but I often get a better understanding checking others as welli, even Thaivisa. ... . .  

After going to Mai Sai to get stamped in for another two months I went to immigration to fill in another TM30 within the 24hour period. I thought I would need all the photocopies again but luckily this wasn't the case.They just too my old receipt and updated it.Out in five minutes, Chiang Mai.

12 hours ago, stud858 said:

The title on the TM7 form is "Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom" and at the bottom of the page it says "I wish to apply for an extension of temporary stay in the kingdom for another period of ....... days."

Edited by buckwhelk
typo
  • Like 1

Interesting topic for me. I have been on retirement extension for ten years, using re-entry permits in order to spend the summers in UK. My passport will expire while I am in England next year so I will be returning with a new PP and a new 'non imm. 'O' ' visa. For my first extension my details were recorded at Immigration, upper floor, Suan Plu, which as far as I can recollect was necessary before I could extend . I remember being prepared for a visit from the police which didn't occur. I didn't do this within 24 hours of arrival but simply as part of the preparation of paperwork.
This looks like a far tidier way of recording my address, thanks for posting I plan to get it done by post.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Is Chiang Mai the only province requiring evidence of an up-to-date TM30 in order to obtain a one-year extension?  Sure don't seem to be hearing reports from other provinces.

I went to Kap Choeng (Surin) this morning to get a reentry permit and my b/f took the opportunity to ask about all of this as we were feeling a bit guilty about never having reported any BKK stays since we arrived back permanently from Australia last November.

So he asked: When we go to BKK for a few days, do you want us to report here as soon as we get back home to the farm?

Their reply (amidst laughter): Why would you wanna do that? Don't be silly. Just let us know when you move into your new house in Prasat.

Reported one foreigner renting a property at Pattaya immigration today.

TM30 form submitted and receipt given. No problems as I followed all the talked about rules floating around.

Lady at Immigration said online reporting is for Hotels only.

Also, I checked if my Juristic Person of the condo was forwarding details.  And the answer was no, but they said many foreigners where asking for a letter stating their address which they wanted 100 baht for.

I can only imagine those , from now on , that try to do visa applications that way with letter from Juristic Person and not TM30 will be rejected.

On 10/27/2016 at 7:39 AM, tlock said:

Jomtien wouldn't let me submit the TM-30 on behalf of the owner, they insisted he come to Jomtien and submit it himself.  I didn't have it in me to ask him to go to Jomtien on my behalf, it's a big hotel chain, so I left the country to get a new visa rather than an extension.  Hopefully someone else clears it up with him so that next time I try for an extension he's familiar with the process.  

Since you are staying at a hotel (you said it is a big hotel chain) it is without a doubt the responsibility of the hotel management to notify the arrival of foreigners to immigration with the online form.

14 hours ago, cusanus said:

The point is that if you don't have the TM30 stub stapled to your passport when you go in for a visa extension (or 90 day report some are saying), that you're liable for a 1,600 baht fine. I've lived with my wife in her house for 8 years, she didn't believe me, and then she was fined 1,600 baht and had to provide a copy of her ID.

I see a contradiction in the above statement. If I understand you correctly, you were not fined. Your wife, the "house-master" (เจ้าบ้าน), ie the chief possessor of the residence where you are staying, was fined. Presumably, the receipt for the fine was issued in her name, not in your name. Was this the case?

I had the penalty of 1600 Baht and they stapled the TM28 into my passport during a tourist visa extension.

I wonder if a photocopy of a TM28 would be acceptable to process any tourist visa extension or 90-day report.

I'd imagine they'd only accept the original tear-off part at the bottom of the TM28 form.

My building owner processed both the TM30 (their duty) and my TM28 for me. I had no issue getting a visa extension in Chiang Mai with it inside and the intern workers who sit outside at the big table did make sure the TM28 tear-off paper was there.

It seems those not planning on SE tourist visa extension, in-and-out would be fine with the TM30 and not really need a TM28 in theory with no visit to immigration offices in the country.

They could have phased this whole thing in with a grace period, but catching off so many must be good for the coffers...(I mean having to now have this TM28 form in the passport for any extensions/or reporting especially for people who have lived at the same address continually........)

Edited by freedomnow

• 4 weeks later...

Is the landlord's TM30 registeration receipt essential for the foreigner's retirement visa renewal?

It was not needed when I did the extention this year, in April.

Anyone who is sure about this, please advise me.

My landlord is reluctant to do that probably for the fear of fine for the late lodgement.

Thank you

It varies from one immigration office to the next.

Some offices that require the TM.30 notification correctly allow the tenant do submit it in his own name because he is the "house-master", ie the "chief possessor" of the residence in his capacity as tenant as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 hours ago, al mcnab said:

Is the landlord's TM30 registeration receipt essential for the foreigner's retirement visa renewal?

It was not needed when I did the extention this year, in April.

Anyone who is sure about this, please advise me.

My landlord is reluctant to do that probably for the fear of fine for the late lodgement.

Thank you

Maybe not, but it's supposed to be per notice in the airport office; anyway, people are getting called on it as I understand even for the 90 day report. To me, I'd rather not be surprised when I go in for a visa renewal and then have to bother with a reschedule plus having to pay the fine, anyway somewhere down the road. Surely, you can cover the 1600 baht and spare the landlord, because you're the one who'll suffer, not him. My advice is to do as we did, go in and ask, pay the fine, get the stub stapled into your passport. OR just stall as long as possible I guess isn't that big a deal. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2015 at 7:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

Whether a TM30 is needed or not depends entirely upon the immigration office you go to. Some will want one when apply for an extension or change your address while others don't.

I have never been asked for one.

In a more direct reply to the OP. Immigration does not go out looking for home owners that have homes and etc that have foreigners living at their property. They only enforce the act for businesses renting out rooms and etc.

I went with my Thai wife to Mukdahan  immigration for her to extend her stay (visa exempt as she is American and Thai).  They were nice but asked about my TM30 which has never been filed by her mom or by my wife at either home (she / we own a home since 2009).  Fined 800 baht as it had been about 3+ weeks since arrival.  We have stayed for six months a year since 2009 except in 2015/16 and this  never came up.  We also have foreign friends come and spend the night(s) now and then and have never reported them.  Immigration is 15 minutes away but what a hassle.  Will go ask for the CD to be burned.  They also told her she should enter Thailand on her Thai passport to save time and money-she never wanted to do that when I brought it up.  

Edited by Leung Falang

On 4/18/2015 at 2:05 AM, Maestro said:

Forget about the OP's posts in other threads and look at the question he is asking here (as modified by me):

Is the TM-30 form necessary to do a notification of staying longer than 90 days (form TM.47) for people on a retirement extension?

In other words, when a foreigner on a retirement extension goes to his local immigration office to submit the TM.30, does the immigration officer ask this foreigner also for the TM.30? This is the specific question asked by the OP.

Was your question answered? Think you meant to say "when.. submit the TM47..." I don't have an answer to that here in Chiang Mai because I do the 90 day reports via mail. I started doing that after being passed that new form asking for personal information which I found quite distasteful. Mail works fine and is much easier, only thing is that you lose a few days to the next reporting requirement. Based on reports that this could happen, I took my Thai wife to immigration to do the TM30, paid the 1600 baht fine. I don't want any delays doing my visa extension coming up and figure eventually I'll get popped, anyway. Maybe I wouldn't be, but why not follow the law, anyway? What I don't understand is for hotels and guest houses how it ends up that the farang gets his TM30 stub tacked into his passport to prove it was done. The Big Question for anyone in Chiang Mai, have you been caught without a TM30 yet either for the 90 day report or a visa extension? 

Edited by cusanus
typo

I am planning to return to Thailand from Europe mid-January to apply for my first 1 year extension based on retirement.  I currently have a 90 day non "O" visa with re-entry permit.  I'm British, 50 and have the money needed in a Thai account.

I've rented a place in That Phanom, that depends on Nakhon Phanom district immigration.  The idea is that this will be my base in the coming years, as I travel around and go back and forth to Europe. I will probably not spend more than a few weeks there are a time, and unlikely to stay in Thailand more than 60 days in a row for the time being.

However this TM-30 business, that I hear is very strictly applied at Nakhon Phanom immigration, may throw a spanner in the works.  It seems that the TM-30 notification must be done by the house owner in person with their blue book (my landlady's husband, but he's not the one who signed my lease...)

And furthermore, this person must then come on the day of "application for extension based on retirement."

I think (hope) I can pay to get landlady and husband to take a day off from work and go with me to immigration.  But can I do the TM-30, then do right away the extension application? (Assuming I've managed to get the other papers from the bank an hour away...) And maybe even the multiple entry permit?

Also, as I will be arriving from Europe, there is no way I can get up to Nakhon Phanom immigration within 24 hours, I need to  spend the night somewhere.  If I spend a night or two in BKK or even in Nakhon Phanom, do I then also need to fill in the T-28 because my address changes 48 hours later?   I'm quite happy to skip this and pay 1600THB fine if that is all it will entail...

Finally, am I correct in understanding that my landlady/ her husband will be able to do the TM-30 by post in the future?

Many thanks for all advice,

TAD 

On 12/29/2016 at 0:25 AM, The Artful Dodger said:

I am planning to return to Thailand from Europe mid-January to apply for my first 1 year extension based on retirement.  I currently have a 90 day non "O" visa with re-entry permit.  I'm British, 50 and have the money needed in a Thai account.

I've rented a place in That Phanom, that depends on Nakhon Phanom district immigration.  The idea is that this will be my base in the coming years, as I travel around and go back and forth to Europe. I will probably not spend more than a few weeks there are a time, and unlikely to stay in Thailand more than 60 days in a row for the time being.

However this TM-30 business, that I hear is very strictly applied at Nakhon Phanom immigration, may throw a spanner in the works.  It seems that the TM-30 notification must be done by the house owner in person with their blue book (my landlady's husband, but he's not the one who signed my lease...)

And furthermore, this person must then come on the day of "application for extension based on retirement."

I think (hope) I can pay to get landlady and husband to take a day off from work and go with me to immigration.  But can I do the TM-30, then do right away the extension application? (Assuming I've managed to get the other papers from the bank an hour away...) And maybe even the multiple entry permit?

Also, as I will be arriving from Europe, there is no way I can get up to Nakhon Phanom immigration within 24 hours, I need to  spend the night somewhere.  If I spend a night or two in BKK or even in Nakhon Phanom, do I then also need to fill in the T-28 because my address changes 48 hours later?   I'm quite happy to skip this and pay 1600THB fine if that is all it will entail...

Finally, am I correct in understanding that my landlady/ her husband will be able to do the TM-30 by post in the future?

Many thanks for all advice,

TAD 

I don't have all the answers so not sure I have the best advice. The rule is get the TM30 within 24 hours, not that it be done where you you will be getting the retirement visa or staying permanently. My wife didn't need a blue book, but did need a copy of her Thai ID. Doesn't matter who signed your lease, that's not the point. I don't think that because you stayed somewhere for few days that this establishes your resident address, so don't sweat it. My wife and I frequently go on trips but I don't report an address change just because I stayed somewhere for a while.

So, you stay in a BKK hotel, hopefully you can get the TM30 stub put in your passport. If not, and Nakhon Phanom is tough, you may have to pay the 1600 baht fine, but really, you've done the best you can to follow the rules, so I doubt you'll be dinged too much if at all. Explain this all to immigration when you go in with your papers to finalize the retirement visa and don't catastrophize too much. Most likely they will do their best to help you, and 1600 baht won't break you in half.  I haven't moved in 8 years, but my understanding is that Meaw could send the TM30 form in by mail next time if we were to move to another house or the next time we return from a trip somewhere. It's not too much trouble just to drive there, either. Maybe someone else has a better answer. 

• Like 1

I am confused about when needed/how to file TM28 & TM30.

Background: Non-imm O-A issued 8 Feb, 2016

Entered: 17 Mar 2016

Did 90-day report on 10 Jun 2016 in Samui with only TM47

Left: 14 Jul 2016

Will re-enter: 21 Jan 2017

We will be staying in Bkk condo for 2 weeks rented through HomeAway before driving to North & staying in hotels.

Can I claim to be House-master to fill out TM30 in Bkk?

Will I need a TM28 also? Have never filed one. Only TM47 for 90 day report.

If I stay at hotel, do I need to file TM28/30?

Thank you for setting me straight. Happy New Year to all.