TM-30 Form

Afraid I can't help too much. I always just put in the new address on the next 90 day report (TM47) and was never challenged about it for 11 years, so don't even know what a TM28 is, okay change of address, so thanks for the tip and if I move again I'll try to remember to drop into immigration and ask about it, but I think this is generally ignored so don't sweat too much. The hotel is supposed to report your stay with the TM30 but I don't know how the stub gets into your passport which is required. I've never bothered with a TM30 despite many trips in Thailand because it was never enforced until recently, so I guess you just ask each place you stay and try to get it right. If not, you may end up paying a 1600 baht fine, not too serious, but be sure once you settle in that you get the TM30 done and have the stub in your passport. What you really should do is stop in at the nearest immigration office when you get to your permanent location and ask them what you need to do, just be sincere and make a best effort to do what they required. It's easiest to do the 90 day report by postal mail with EMS, see immigration website for directions. . 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 9:13 PM, Maestro said:

I see a contradiction in the above statement. If I understand you correctly, you were not fined. Your wife, the "house-master" (เจ้าบ้าน), ie the chief possessor of the residence where you are staying, was fined. Presumably, the receipt for the fine was issued in her name, not in your name. Was this the case?

Technically, you're correct, but do you really think I'm going to stare down my wife and have her get the money out of her purse? Ditto for anybody else, there is little likelihood the house owner will suffer any consequences, it is YOU who could lose your visa, so smile and pay the piper.

1 minute ago, Rewthai said:

Is the fine for not filing a TM30 1600 baht. I understand it is 200B/day with a max of 5000B ((UbonJoe). But am confused if it is 200B/day  that you had not reported or each day SINCE you didn't report. Can anyone clarify?

For the TM30 form the max fine is 2000 baht for an individual for a business it is 2000 to 10,000 baht fine.

The fine for not doing a TM28 form  it is a max fine of 5000 baht plus 200 baht a day until it is done (same fine as not doing a 90 day report).

I am confused about when needed/how to file TM28 & TM30.
Background: Non-imm O-A issued 8 Feb, 2016
Entered: 17 Mar 2016
Did 90-day report on 10 Jun 2016 in Samui with only TM47
Left: 14 Jul 2016
Will re-enter: 21 Jan 2017
We will be staying in Bkk condo for 2 weeks rented through HomeAway before driving to North & staying in hotels.

Can I claim to be House-master to fill out TM30 in Bkk?
Will I need a TM28 also? Have never filed one. Only TM47 for 90 day report.
If I stay at hotel, do I need to file TM28/30?

Thank you for setting me straight. Happy New Year to all.

Nothing to do... The Condo owner you're renting from should do the 1st TM30 (we won't get into the legalities of renting a Condo for less than 30 days) & the hotels you stay in will/should register you each time you check in.

1 minute ago, Rewthai said:

Thanks for setting me straight on fines. If I get caught without a TM30, will they check up on no TM28?  It seems so dependent on where you are caught.

The only way you would be caught would be if you went to an immigration office to do something and that entirely depends upon the office you go to. The majority of immigration offices do not want a TM28 if you change addresses.

JB300, Thanks for answer. Last time (Mar 2016)I rented she never asked for anything but the payment. I will contact her to ask if she will do it. I rather doubt it so probably just pay when I need my re-entry permit & they catch me.

I have been living at a guest house in Chiang Mai 2 years and taking care of garden etc. I dont pay rent to the owner, I live their to keep the place up because she lives in the US. The place has rooms to rent but so far no one has come to rent a room.  I am registered TM 30 at the condo unit that I own, but I sleep and eat etc at the guesthouse. What if Immi shows up at the guesthouse , asks me for passport, and see that I live at the guesthouse but I am registered at the condo? There is no money (rent) exchanged between me and my friend? My friend, the owner, is Thai.

Edited by steveolevi

1 hour ago, steveolevi said:

I have been living at a guest house in Chiang Mai 2 years and taking care of garden etc. I dont pay rent to the owner, I live their to keep the place up because she lives in the US. The place has rooms to rent but so far no one has come to rent a room.  I am registered TM 30 at the condo unit that I own, but I sleep and eat etc at the guesthouse. What if Immi shows up at the guesthouse , asks me for passport, and see that I live at the guesthouse but I am registered at the condo? There is no money (rent) exchanged between me and my friend? My friend, the owner, is Thai.

I would be more concerned about violating Thai labor-laws than immigration and the address - though, yes, where you actually live should be what is reflected in your TM-30.  Note that even if you were/are doing the work "keeping up the place" for free, you need a work-permit; the tasks described are among those for which a work-permit would not be issued.

• 4 weeks later...

My last 90 day report was submitted by mail after arriving from O/S in September. I have never submitted a TM30 after living here for 5 years with my Thai wife in our home. Now the visa extension and re entry permit is up for renewal and the agent advised that a TM30 will be required before submitting a new request for another visa extension. Interestingly the CM immigration office didn't ask me for a TM30 when I submitted my 90 day advice. Should I proceed as normal or just fill out the TM30 and take it to imm before my application.

19 hours ago, Taffyfromflint said:

My last 90 day report was submitted by mail after arriving from O/S in September. I have never submitted a TM30 after living here for 5 years with my Thai wife in our home. Now the visa extension and re entry permit is up for renewal and the agent advised that a TM30 will be required before submitting a new request for another visa extension. Interestingly the CM immigration office didn't ask me for a TM30 when I submitted my 90 day advice. Should I proceed as normal or just fill out the TM30 and take it to imm before my application.

Maybe best to get your wife (if she is the relevant housemaster in your case, like my wife is in my case) to complete a TM30, but for it not to be volunteered unless specifically asked for - in which case supporting docs (plus copies) in the form of marriage certificate and her ID card and blue house book may also be required. You should also both be aware that Chiang Mai Immigration are zealous in fining miscreants for non-compliance with the TM30 requirement when detected.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

First post on here - thanks in advance for your help.

I've read through this thread and it appears that legally a landlord/house owner/condo/apartment owner is required to submit a TM-30 form for foreigners that are residing in their residence. Some people are never asked about this when they go to extend/report at immigration and others have been fined. Seems that its up to the immigration officer. I get that. 

For me - I am on an education visa and need to extend at the end of July. I'm staying in a studio apartment building and have a very uncooperative manager/staff here who told me yesterday that they wouldn't be submitting a TM-30 form because they're worried if they do it once, they have to do it all the time. Not a lot I can do about that. I've already paid 2 months rent as a deposit so moving on isn't a very attractive option.

So my question is - what options do I have? Can I submit the TM-30 form myself and see if I get a receipt back? If I take my rental lease agreement/contract to immigration with photos of my place, receipts of paying rent are they likely to let me away with it? I feel like my hands are tied! Any advice/help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You can try to self-report, there have been many, many, many reports of successful self-reporting. Given the details you've shared, it doesn't seem like you'd manage to get registered for the online reporting system.

A lot depends on your specific office.

I haven't done a self-report but have been preparing using this list of documents, some/many/all of which may be required.

For those in Bangkok: Documentation for self-filing a TM.30 are
Copies of;
-the blue book (signed by the thai)
-the thai i/d of the person in the blue book (signed by the thai)
-the data page of your passport
-the thai visa in your passport (if you have one)
-your most recent entry stamp
-your extension (if you have one)
-the TM.6 departure card
-your lease

800 baht "fine"

You can try to self-report, there have been many, many, many reports of successful self-reporting. Given the details you've shared, it doesn't seem like you'd manage to get registered for the online reporting system.

A lot depends on your specific office.

I haven't done a self-report but have been preparing using this list of documents, some/many/all of which may be required.

For those in Bangkok: Documentation for self-filing a TM.30 are
Copies of;
-the blue book (signed by the thai)
-the thai i/d of the person in the blue book (signed by the thai)
-the data page of your passport
-the thai visa in your passport (if you have one)
-your most recent entry stamp
-your extension (if you have one)
-the TM.6 departure card
-your lease

800 baht "fine"

And make sure you get your Landlord to reimburse you for the fine, or deduct it from your rent!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk