Songkran is surreal but too short

Lite Beer

Obviously none of you have a job or you would not be complaining about songkran being too short. I would love more holidays!

Get a real job. Then you'll appreciate a real holiday.

I have no idea what your comment means, but thanks for the words..

• Like 1

I used to think the same about Christmas when I was a little kid. It should be 7 days of waking up and getting presents ... but then I grew up and faced reality.

Be patient World. Thailand will grow up someday.

Edited by Fullstop

I used to think the same about Christmas when I was a little kid. It should be 7 days of waking up and getting presents ... but then I grew up and faced reality.

Be patient World. Thailand will grow up someday.

I, for one, won't be holding my breath waiting for that!

How this country ever gonna escape the 3rd world status.

January first western new year----let's close the place for a week

End of February Chines new year----Let's close the place for a week

April Thai new year-----let's close the place for a week ( I've noticed many places that close for 10 days )

And so the year continues.

Yeah make it 300 holidays a year, that would improve tourism.

• Like 2

Considering the stae of the economy can Thailand really afford these long holidays ???

I often have this discussion with my old man. Nobody seems to care & some years, due to political problems, they extend it by a few days. I remember when it was the Queen's jubilee in 2012, & just one extra day holiday cost the UK a fortune.

Edited by bruceybonus

Considering the stae of the economy can Thailand really afford these long holidays ???

I often have this discussion with my old man. Nobody seems to care & some years, due to political problems, they extend it by a few days.

Back in the Uk, I remember when it was the Queen's jubilee in 2012, & just one extra day holiday cost the country a fortune. Business owners were chuntering at the loss of revenue

I'm not old either (38), but find it inconceivable that anybody can find pleasure in this for such a length of time.

I don't think age is an issue. There were two farang Saga Louts outside my hotel skipping around like kids spraying everyone who went past.

They would have regretted getting me wet as I left for the airport.

• Like 2

Obviously none of you have a job or you would not be complaining about songkran being too short. I would love more holidays!

Like I said; Get a real job, and maybe then you'll get the idea and enjoy your real holiday. Words are free... no need for thanks na krap. ;)

I agree songkran is surreal but it is a festival to celebrate a new beginning hence the use of flour and water also a way of bringing people together .

Bet u won't be saying that after you've lived here longer than ten years!

Songkran is very real, and 6 days too ruddy long!

"Songkran is popular in this region simply because it's closest to the sun in April and nothing can be more soothing, and fun, than getting soaked wet and making other people wet."

And what do I say to that? ................ off!

bah.gif

This guy is obviously off of his medication again. Being to close to the sun can fry ones brain and I think it has happened in this guys case. Songkran could be a good holiday with some major changes and rules enforced. Now it is a bacchanalian type festival lacking the religious meanings that were at its original foundation.

Apart from the article being rubbish: what a load of miserable people you are!

I personally am okay with one day of wild party and the rest of the (the longer the better) holiday, I don't go outside!

My appartment building has a nice pool and Bangkok is nice and empty.

I like the mayham, the fun...I totally could do without the drunk driving, the accidents and the sexual assaults...

People who want to celebrate Songkhran the "traditional way"- please go ahead!

And let others celebrate it their way!

I am no Buddhist, my parents are dead, my girlfriends parents life far away, so even she doesn't bother, standing in traffic jams for hours to get there...so what the eff would I want to wash Buddha- statues or the hands and feet of old people for?

I go out, have a big gun (and a waterpistol as well! biggrin.png ), get hammered and have fun and I enjoy the "gotcha"- attitude, even if the water is ice-cold!

It's once a year, for gods sake!

• Like 1

Well, I might be old and feeble, but I enjoyed seeing so many young folk out on the streets of Chiang Mai, getting wet, laughing, having fun.

I can put up with a few nights of the bands, and they all finished at 10pm on the dot.

More of it please! wai2.gif

O.M.G What a load of Bull Excrement!

I was seriously thinking of subscribing to the "NATION" Newspaper but if that, is the sort of Dung, served-up by the Editorial people, NO WAY!!

Can someone get me a BARF Bag???

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 1

What a stupid article! Really Songkran a peaceful festival.....where was the writer....holidaying in Japan. Stop dreaming and being an idealists......study the real thai social perpectives, values, ethics, morality , then come write an article.

• Like 1

Like I said; Get a real job, and maybe then you'll get the idea and enjoy your real holiday. Words are free... no need for thanks na krap. ;)

Repeating the same words to validate your point? Effective rebuttal!

i visited pattaya during songkran (it reaches its climax today on sunday the 19th but i am back in bkk) and i noticed they stop playing when night time comes about. Yup even in pattaya that's how it goes.

Wrong... Up for the day and we get this Statement...
  • Like 1