Thai visa for Lao people

well I finally got my lao citizenship and passport due to my mom and her mom are from Lao

Well here's the good news

Im married to thai and have thai kids

Got yellow bank account etc etc speak read and write fluent Lao esaan

These were the prices for me to enter Thailand

50baht - for 1 month tourist

150 b 2 months

1000b 90 day non immigrant

And here's the great one

Only 150,000 baht for my 1 year visa extension

People on here told me that I would have to follow with the other foreigner rules and prices I guess not ..

And ALL was done at Vientiane .. (Families home City)

My advise to some is don't listen to what a lot of crap is posted on the Internet as I was expecting to have 400,000 baht for the extension well that blew out of the water ...

The agreement between thai and Lao is better than what I fought and to be finally Lao citizen has helped me a lot ..

Hope you all had good songkan

Soon as I got my Lao papers and passport I got the 3 month non immigrant O from Vientiane

From there went to immigration in udon and only needed to 150,000 in my bank ...

I should of worded it properly but my English ain't the best either I grew up with my mom and grandmother speakin Lao since birth

With a Laos passport you're now a citizen of a sleepy third world backwater so I would expect less money would be required in the bank when compared to the financial powerhouses of Western Europe and North America.

I read it man

That's why I got 400,000 ready for the extension but when I done it they said cause being Lao I only need 150,000 every year

Basically my post is just for people like myself that are half Lao trying to stay in Thailand that's all I didn't open to start arguments I just letting people know of my experience with it

• Like 1

Ukrules - was that comment really necessary

Like how many times have you gone to now my country to do your visa and my people let you in ..

There is no need for that stuff

Sorry to say it my friend this place is full of bigots but glad to ignore them, try it.

Anyhow welcome to the thai way or the highway if you get my drift.

Haha you got that right

We took my kids to the khon kaen water park and zoo yesterday and the prices was 100b per thai person 150b for foreigners haha their faces dropped when pulled out Lao passport and thai drivers license ..

I think it's a joke on how they do that it I told my wife that in other countries where Asians migrate to live they should pay more cause their Asian haha

• Like 1

Ukrules - was that comment really necessary

Like how many times have you gone to now my country to do your visa and my people let you in ..

There is no need for that stuff

I've never been to Laos. I'm just stating some facts. Maybe you don't agree with them but that doesn't make them wrong.

You come on here gloating about how you have your new passport and now have to have less money in the bank than everyone else.

Well - I just explained the reason. If it's deemed offensive someone can delete it.

Edited by ukrules

Dude I know it's not the money making country of the world and I would expect everyone on here to understand that

I'm only gloating bout it cause I'm experienced it first hand and hopefully another half Lao person seeking residency with their family in Thailand sees this that's all man

If Lao was good country I would of just moved my wife and kids there and live permantly but I know what Lao is like and I prefer Thailand

Dude I know it's not the money making country of the world and I would expect everyone on here to understand that

I'm only gloating bout it cause I'm experienced it first hand and hopefully another half Lao person seeking residency with their family in Thailand sees this that's all man

If Lao was good country I would of just moved my wife and kids there and live permantly but I know what Lao is like and I prefer Thailand

You presumably have dual US/Lao citizenship, which while not perhaps the absolute best of both worlds, is not a bad combination.

Pity those left behind next time you go to your beautiful, traumatised country: http://legaciesofwar.org/news/international-new-york-times-cleaning-a-land-riddled-with-bombs/

I cant get any sense out of your posting unless your the head of the family.

My Lao wife lives in Thailand for more then 10 years with us, our kids and me (farang) that is..... on a dependend retirement visa extension.

So what are you talking about.........400000 ....150.000............????????????????

1900 for extension of stay

3800 for multiple re entry and your finished for a year.

But I am Dutch maybe the immigration is aware of the fact that the FIRST foreigners hand a Lao king had shaken was ???????

DUTCH (serious!)

Oh.....

My wife has a Thai driverslicence

Yellow Book

Bank account

Bank debet card

Car

Motorcycle and a 2000 bath Thai membership card for zoo & park........3 years free entry

bought in???? Khon Kaen Zoo

Edited by hgma

I cant get any sense out of your posting unless your the head of the family.

My Lao wife lives in Thailand for more then 10 years with us, our kids and me (farang) that is..... on a dependend retirement visa extension.

So what are you talking about.........400000 ....150.000............????????????????

1900 for extension of stay

3800 for multiple re entry and your finished for a year.

But I am Dutch maybe the immigration is aware of the fact that the FIRST foreigners hand a Lao king had shaken was ???????

DUTCH (serious!)

Oh.....

My wife has a Thai driverslicence

Yellow Book

Bank account

Bank debet card

Car

Motorcycle and a 2000 bath Thai membership card for zoo & park........3 years free entry

bought in???? Khon Kaen Zoo

He holds dual US and Lao nationalities. His wife is Thai. So he has an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

Yes I hold dual passports and citizenship now

I have no idea why you (hmga) would waste time writing all that when I clearly stated for

People like me which are half blooded with Lao passport and citizenship which is married and have family to a THAI woman the process and fees for the visas

All the Lao people I know just live in Thailand illegally or do monthly border runs without incident, even those who are married to Thais.

Haha yes but I'm half and I don't want to lose everything I have done and own here in Thailand just for illegal stay if they catch up with me

I'm pretty heavy covered in tattoos even my face is pretty well covered in tattoos so can't really hide haha

400 k proof is for marrriage extension for farangs not lao, you obviously misread other ops posts.

I didn't know that there were different amounts needed depending on nationality, nobody ever brought this up until this thread came along so please don't make the assumption that the OP got mistaken - I did too because as in most countries, all foreigners are treated equally but obviously Thailand is different, should have known given that work permits are issued based on minimum salaries that depend on the nationality of the work permit holder.

But still, I thought that only applied for the issuance of work permits. For example, without referring to the table on minimum salary to get the amounts needed for all nationalites, I roughly remember the following incomes as being needed for extensions of stay for work purposes:

Japan, western Europe, Australia, NZ, USA, Canada: 50,000 Baht

Singapore: 45,000 Baht

Russia, Greece, a few other middle income countries (China?): 35,000 Baht

Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, African countries: 25,000 Baht

Does anyone know if only Lao citizens need 150K for a marriage extension of stay or if Cambodians and Burmese also get the same privileges? Or if there are other nationalities who only need say 250,000? That info would be good to know.

As far as normal visas are concerned, that doesn't surprise me. Like many countries, Thailand has bilateral agreements with certain other countries on visa exemptions, or different fee structures for visas with these countries. In this case, Lao citizens get 30 days visa exemption but SHOULDN'T be paying 50 Baht upon entry, that sounds to me like a scam, possibly a bribe to either overlook the fact that person is crossing over too many times or more likely, just an exortion attempt to take advantage of the large numbers of Lao travellers coming into Thailand. However, the OP does not mention who is collecting this "fee". Perhaps it could also be the Lao side and not the Thai side.

However, personally I've only ever paid a fee to the Lao side as an overtime fee, both as a passenger and for bringing a vehicle across, generally just for the vehicle though but it's never much. The Thai side does not levy a fee for Thai vehicles, but it does for Lao and other foreign vehicles being brought in, which is 200 Baht. Without a vehicle and crossing within the normal border crossing operating hours, no fee is payable, but this depends on the crossing. I have however noticed strange things like every Vietnamese citizen entering Laos being asked for money to get their passports stamped, but Thais and other foreigners are not asked.

2 month visa being very cheap? Sure, well South Koreans, Brazilians and Peruvians likely wouldn't even need one altogether as they get 90-day stays, which are in excess of what a tourist visa allows so don't know if they would even be issued with a tourist visa. If they are, I think it's free?

You presumably have dual US/Lao citizenship, which while not perhaps the absolute best of both worlds, is not a bad combination.

Pity those left behind next time you go to your beautiful, traumatised country: http://legaciesofwar.org/news/international-new-york-times-cleaning-a-land-riddled-with-bombs/

I'm not sure if legally, dual US/Lao citizenship is even allowed. I am quite sure Laos does not recognize it, so the OP should be careful to conceal his US passport or identity when in Laos, otherwise he could find that his Lao citizenship gets revoked. Something to think about.

• Like 2

Laos is a great country too so I don't really understand what you mean. Actually, it would be a lot easier for you to live there than in Thailand given your Lao citizenship, but even foreigners there don't face the visa problems they face in Thailand. There are many opportunities going on there now, and I'm taking full advantage of them by opening a business in Laos, which is easier and less restrictive than in Thailand. Visas are still easier than in Thailand (although there's less information online about them) and visa runs are turned a blind eye to, unlike (increasingly) in Thailand, which officially no longer tolerates them. I know a Lao American guy (full blooded Lao) but with American citizenship, who has been doing visa runs from Laos to Thailand every 2 months at infinitum. I think he gets a 60-day visa for being a "former Lao national" but otherwise is still treated very much as a foreigner so can't access residency or a longer visa, particularly since he is elderly and doesn't work formally. I also know a British man married to a Lao wife who does the same thing, except he gets 90 days in the country before he needs to make a visa run: 30 days on arrival and then a 60 day extension at the immigration office. Then visa run and repeat. No problems whatsoever. He says it's easier than getting a "proper" visa.

Of course, infrastructure and development have a long way to go in Laos compared to Thailand and the Vietnamese and the Chinese have long since entered the country and opened businesses, with signs in these languages visible in every corner of the country, even next to the Thai border not a single word of Thai is visible (a sure sign the Thais have long neglected their neighbor), yet you have, right next to the Thai border, Vietnamese auto repair garages with signs entirely in Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants that wouldn't appear out of place in rural Yunnan, with the same Chinese writing all over the restaurant windows and the same food display shelves where you point to a piece of meat or vegetable and tell the chef how you want it prepared. In northern Laos you could be mistaken for having crossed the border into China already - everything is in Chinese, while parts of southern Laos and eastern Laos appear to be an extension of Vietnam. Completely different to Thailand - where everything is in the hands of Thais thus one doesn't see much in the way of foreign languages except in border areas and tourist zones.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if legally, dual US/Lao citizenship is even allowed. I am quite sure Laos does not recognize it, so the OP should be careful to conceal his US passport or identity when in Laos, otherwise he could find that his Lao citizenship gets revoked. Something to think about.

if it comes to it i will just hand in my US citizenship ..

i dont know why my situation is different to others but this is what i went through ..

i have so much here in thailand already and my wife doesnt want to live in Lao

seriosly i couldnt be stuffed going through the whole buying new houses and setting up from scratch again

since ive got everything here ..

If your in Udon (where i live) one day let me know i be more than willing to sit down have a beer and show you

everything that i did and done to get this extension ..

• Like 1

if it comes to it i will just hand in my US citizenship ..

i dont know why my situation is different to others but this is what i went through ..

i have so much here in thailand already and my wife doesnt want to live in Lao

seriosly i couldnt be stuffed going through the whole buying new houses and setting up from scratch again

since ive got everything here ..

If your in Udon (where i live) one day let me know i be more than willing to sit down have a beer and show you

everything that i did and done to get this extension ..

I often pass through Udon, usually on my way to/from either Nong Khai or Laos, where I have friends and business interests. I might take you up on your offer. Anyway, all the best to you and great to hear everything has gone well for you.