Prayuth Disciplines Soldier for Arguing With Traffic Cops

Lite Beer

Prayuth Disciplines Soldier for Arguing With Traffic Cops

Bt Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK - Junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has ordered the army to punish a soldier who was filmed arguing with traffic police officers.

The video shows police stopping a soldier who was riding a motorcycle without a safety helmet, which is required under Thai traffic laws. The soldier challenges the police officers' authority to fine him, and drives away from the checkpoint. During the encounter, the soldier also says he is not carrying a driver's license.

The video clip, which appears to have been shot by a police officer, was widely circulated on the Internet after it was posted on Facebook on 17 April.

Maj.Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd, a spokesperson of the military government, said Gen. Prayuth felt "uncomfortable" after viewing the video, and instructed the Royal Thai Army to take disciplinary action against the soldier.

"As a fellow soldier, the Prime Minister is uncomfortable with what happened," Maj.Gen. Sansern said. "He would like to apologize to the people and police officers who had the resolve to perform their duty in a straightforward way. Furthermore, he has ordered the army to track down the soldier and punish him with disciplinary action."

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1429432950

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-19

• Like 2

Extremely harsh punishment. The soldier will not have his additional piece of sticky rice for dinner.

In the Thai Army things like this (surely on demand of the PM), stealing, routeaccident in fault with a armycar etc are punished with jail. You can buy of 1000THB for 5 day, mostly they get 15 days (= 3000THB... and you are free).

How I know ... my partner was nawikgayotin (marin) and got 2 times an light accident and a other soldier (punisht to clean the pool,to late on the morningappell) stole 1000THB from him at the swimmingpool

What would happen if it not filmed ?

Think a little bit please.... If the police did not take the numberplate, or his name = no prove = nothing happen SIMPLE HE

Forgot... If they have prove normely they not report to the military police. I wonder why they stop a soldier, normely they dont ( I think he was not in uniform.

Even in routeblocks my partner was never stop with the car, he put his nawik cap at the frontwindow during his 2 years of service. OH YES... one time he had a little trouble with a motor-cop for speeding (with our car) until the Major (Nawa Ti) put his head out of the backdoor,

Another case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

Pathetic really.

Let me explain to you:

in any civilized country, the incident would have been handled more or less like this: guy on a motocy, without helmet (no matter if a soldier or a butcher or a housewife)....stopped by the police...punishment/fine handed out...driver complaining and/or being rude to the policeman....fine/punishment handed out...end of story!

No PM would EVER be involved in this!

This is why NO ONE would EVER ask Mr.P to get involved, so NO DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!

But if someone thinks he needs to be involved in anyone, breaking wind (mini skirts on TV, bikinis on beaches, soldiers arguing with traffic cop) or anything...that's when he get's criticized, because what the ....the guy is PM.

If he has nothing better to do, surely happiness must have returned to Thailand!

Also: maybe choppering around the Government House without a helmet, didn't set such a good example after all, huh?!

General says to the Colonel - the soldier should be disciplined

Colonel says to the Major - punish the soldier

Major says to the Captain - be hard on him

Captain says to the Lieutenant - show him no mercy

Lieutenant says to the soldier - sorry its the firing squad for you today

Another case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'

Pathetic really.

Let me explain to you:

in any civilized country, the incident would have been handled more or less like this: guy on a motocy, without helmet (no matter if a soldier or a butcher or a housewife)....stopped by the police...punishment/fine handed out...driver complaining and/or being rude to the policeman....fine/punishment handed out...end of story!

No PM would EVER be involved in this!

This is why NO ONE would EVER ask Mr.P to get involved, so NO DAMNED IF YOU DON'T!

But if someone thinks he needs to be involved in anyone, breaking wind (mini skirts on TV, bikinis on beaches, soldiers arguing with traffic cop) or anything...that's when he get's criticized, because what the ....the guy is PM.

If he has nothing better to do, surely happiness must have returned to Thailand!

Also: maybe choppering around the Government House without a helmet, didn't set such a good example after all, huh?!

It's OK if you don't understand a post, but it would be better not to react to it.

Okay- I am stupid! Explain!

It strikes me that PM Prayuth is no longer head of the army. Sooner or later the army will wonder who should be giving them orders.

General Prayut is still Chief of the NCPO (aka the Junta) that has absolute power over all of Thai government and people, including the military. In fact now that he has invoked Article 44, the Royal Thai Police fall under military jurisdiction. The soldier was perfectly correct to ignore the police stop.

What would happen if it not filmed ?

Good question!

Did the police officers note down licence plate details, type of bike, description of soldier?

Would the police officers have filed a report?

If the police officers would file a report would their immediate superior file another report to his boss in order to inform the army of the incident and request assistance to help find the alleged perpetrator ?

Etc., etc., etc.

If a tree falls down in a forest but there is no one around, does it make noise?

• Like 1

It strikes me that PM Prayuth is no longer head of the army. Sooner or later the army will wonder who should be giving them orders.

General Prayut is still Chief of the NCPO (aka the Junta) that has absolute power over all of Thai government and people, including the military. In fact now that he has invoked Article 44, the Royal Thai Police fall under military jurisdiction. The soldier was perfectly correct to ignore the police stop.

Did PM Prayut or NCPO chief Prayut invoked article 44 ?

BTW in most countries people serving in the military fall under military jurisdiction, but under certain restrictions may be prosecuted by civilian courts especially when civilian laws and military law cover the alleged offence in a similar manner. In some cases, some countries the police can arrest, but need to inform the MP to come and collect the arrested person.

All this means that your "soldier was perfectly correct to ignore the police stop" is incorrect.