Using car cam with USB plug in... not ciggy lighter

I have a new model modern truck and it doesnt have the usual cigarette lighter plug. There is only a USB plug.

Ive been having issues with a new 'Proof' brand of car cam that works for a while and then a blank screen is displayed whilst driving.

I took it back to the store and we tried a japanese brand. When plugging that one in a message is displayed re usb or video etc.

We think it might be the usb plug in.

If you have a car cam and also have the USB plug in can you advise which brand of car cam you have.

thanks

I have this one on my car connected to an USB plug, and working well. I got it in Lazada for about 1200thb 6 months ago. Was very useful in small accident I had last month.

I liked this model because can be used like a normal video and photo camera and have a very good auto zoom and definition, but is not good for night use. I think the one with good night image are costing over 4000thb.

If I will buy one again, I will get the one with 2 lenses for about 1800 thb in Lazada....The one under, that also have black box and GPS.]

The cable to connect to an USB jack for power is not include on the package. It is a short one but is for unload the videos to a computer, do not work to powered it. You will need to buy one, for about 200thb.

post-231810-0-64896100-1429440564_thumb.

post-231810-0-97085800-1429441884_thumb.

post-231810-0-87998800-1429441615_thumb.

Edited by Muzarella

I had a similar problem, in a loaner Hyundai. I tried using GPS, and both of my different brand models of GPS also were difficult to start up...

the common problem with these USB power outlets is they are originally installed for compatability with iphone/ipod/ipad/smartphones.

Many of the little dashcam units use SD chips, and some basically operate like little computer/media device, or at least seen by outside devices as one...

I ended up obtaining a USB cable, which was configured for Power only, with no USB/handshake capability.

The problem may be the amount of amps your USB socket delivers, I know that USB socket in the car simply didn't even allow the car cam to power up..

I had a similar problem, and resorted to using a Cigarette to USB adapter to power the camera.

If you don't have a cigarette lighter, then perhaps you could wire up to the interior light (find the +12V that is always present whether keys in ignition or doors closed - I managed to do this for a GPS tracker.

edit: But your camera needs 5 Volts don't forget (so you would need adapter in-between) and you may not want the thing on 24 hours as it tends to rely on ignition status to stop and start filming. There is probably a much better way to do it without having to rip your dashboard out..

Edited by Satcommlee

There is probably a much better way to do it without having to rip your dashboard out..

Most fuse panels have a spare circuit or 3. Usually down on the kick panel. Fused too.

Find a spare - many times there is one which will only provide power with ignition circuit enabled. Run wires under the trim - viola.

I have this one on my car connected to an USB plug, and working well. I got it in Lazada for about 1200thb 6 months ago. Was very useful in small accident I had last month.

I liked this model because can be used like a normal video and photo camera and have a very good auto zoom and definition, but is not good for night use. I think the one with good night image are costing over 4000thb.

If I will buy one again, I will get the one with 2 lenses for about 1800 thb in Lazada....The one under, that also have black box and GPS.]

The cable to connect to an USB jack for power is not include on the package. It is a short one but is for unload the videos to a computer, do not work to powered it. You will need to buy one, for about 200thb.

Is it possible to change language to English on Lazada?; and how?

Edited by lj cm

Is it possible to change language to English on Lazada?; and how?

If I type lazada dot com I am taken to lazada dot sg - singapore. In English

Right at the top of the Lazada Thailand screen it has a Change Language option.

I bought the DOD 430W from www.thaiblackbox.com for about 6,000฿

Works fine via the USB,

But my USB socket is a double one that plugs into the cigi lighter...

Nevertheless, it still works fine if plugged into the car's USB socket only because I know it's a 1Amp USB

If your USB is only a 0.5A socket then there's your answer... Not enough wattage...

Check the power demand for your camera and then check your truck's manual to see what the USB supplies

Edited by Porkster
  • Like 1

which truck do you bbabythai ?

Indeed, what "new model, modern truck" manufacturer has suddenly decided that the bog-standard, multifunctional, automobile cigarette lighter power hole is now obsolete?

My "new model, modern truck" still has two on the dashboard and a very handy one in the bed out the back.

I few years back, I bought the first one you showed in your post; the basic, no-frills model. It worked well until last summer's heat got the best of it and it sort of melted. I replaced the 'fat' battery and it still works so I gave it for my son to play with.

I replaced it with the newer model that you are thinking about that also has a second, rear-view camera as well as GPS. It works quite well but the playback software is embedded in the camera firmware and it installs the bespoke video player on the SD card when powered up for the first time. So not as simple as sticking the memory card into another device and hoping to use some third-party player to view. You use the standalone video player that the camera installed on the SD card to access and view the recordings. Quality of the video is good though but make sure that you buy a Class 10 SD card to handle the data rates needed for dual camera recording.

As an aid to the power challenged OP, this camera is now running off a high-current lighter-to-USB converter. When I tried it in a 'standard' lighter-to-USB converter, it kept power cycling due to the lack of amps.