Asiatique restaurant fined Bt460,000 for showing beer bottles in menus

Thaivisa News

These laws have been in place since well before the army took control, so those blaming the current government for either the law or the enforcement of it are well wide of the mark. A lot of what i have seen under army control, and specifically General Prayuth, has indicated a larger degree of common sense than any previous Prime Ministers and governments, and it wouldn't surprise me if this case triggered him to look again at these laws, or at least how they are being enforced. In western countries, in the main, there is the acceptance of the principle regarding restraint of trade, and that it is not fair to businesses to selectively enforce rules on some but not others. Clearly alcohol related businesses must have some restrictions placed on them because of the health and other effects of over consumption, but not allowing a business to tell and show customers what they sell really is a step too far, and I very much doubt that a scientific link could be proved between seeing an item on a menu, a sign, a glass, bottle, ashtray, beer mat, beer towel or any other promotional material, and excessive or underage drinking; the intent of these promotional materials is to persuade someone to drink one brand of alcohol as opposed to another, much like how most advertising is used. If Thailand were really serious about tackling alcohol abuse, then their best tactic would be an ongoing education campaign and better enforcement of the laws targeting the individuals responsible, i.e. the individuals/businesses who sell booze to those underage or who are already drunk. Generally though they would need to change the mindset of the Thai people, and that just isn't going to happen.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up in the morning, and do not look for, nor desire to see, nor seek out anything that resembles common sense, reason, or logic, and you will get through the day here, just fine.

This is a brilliant example of that. Selective at best, ridiculous at worst.

• 4 weeks later...

"In a case that could serve as a warning to farang expatriates who own restaurants and bars in Thailand, showing pictures of beer bottles and glass with beer or liquor brands has led to a very hefty fine approaching half a million baht."

Racism at its best - I know of many thai-Places that shows pics of beer-brands ....

• 4 months later...

460,000 Baht for showing a picture on a menu in an environment in which people do consume beer, so arguably a legitimate purpose....but if you are a Thai hiso 'celebrity', no problem...just show it in facebook and the authorities turn a blind eye. Corrupt.

This is the exact thread i thought of when i read the other article. This guy gets a fine for doing nothing and those celebrities get nothing for doing exactly what the law is supposed to prohibit. Because they misunderstood/ weren't aware. My balls that.

Edited by taony

I can understand the logic of prohibiting alcohol and cigarettes on television adverts, racing cars etc, but going to the extreme of prosecuting for displaying on restaurant menus is IMO ridiculous.

Point taken, some would perhaps argue that 'not allowed' on the menu is quite appropriate. The customer is sitting there, looks at beer / alcohol adds on the menu so is unconsciously more encouraged to order and drink alcohol. Also perhaps true, many (not all) customers drink alcohol in restaurants then drive home.

I can understand the logic of prohibiting alcohol and cigarettes on television adverts, racing cars etc, but going to the extreme of prosecuting for displaying on restaurant menus is IMO ridiculous.

Point taken, some would perhaps argue that 'not allowed' on the menu is quite appropriate. The customer is sitting there, looks at beer / alcohol adds on the menu so is unconsciously more encouraged to order and drink alcohol. Also perhaps true, many (not all) customers drink alcohol in restaurants then drive home.

there is a HUGE banner for singha and black label on thong lor-petchburi intersection. and it has been on there for over 3 months.

I expect a huge fine from the families who control this? i can also list 7 other locations where this "company" markets their alcohol. honestly for 200,000 a month you would expect better ads.