Asiatique restaurant fined Bt460,000 for showing beer bottles in menus

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- In a case that could serve as a warning to farang expatriates who own restaurants and bars in Thailand, showing pictures of beer bottles and glass with beer or liquor brands has led to a very hefty fine approaching half a million baht.

The precedent ruling has been made against the Kacha Kacha restaurant at Asiatique in Bangkok.

An executive of the shop, who uses a Facebook username of Ozawa Curry, has posted the ruling against his shop as a warning to others.

The executive and the shop were fined Bt460,000 for the violation of the Alcohol Control Act of 2014 from July 30 to March 6 2015 or 220 days. The shop and the owner were fined Bt220,000 each plus an extra fine of Bt10,000 each.

The shop owner posted that the South Bangkok Criminal Court made the ruling on March 24.

The two defendants are now in the process of appealing against the ruling.

The shop and the owner were charged in the court y the Office of Alcohol Control Committee of violating Article 32 and Article 43 of the Alcohol Control Act of 2014 and Article 83 of the Criminal Code by displaying beer bottles and beer glasses with brand logos in their restaurant menus.

The two articles of the act prohibit any form of advertisement of alcoholic drinks or displaying brands of such drinks in any media.

The owner of the shop posted on his Facebook wall that he believes the ruling against him was unprecedented as the normally the Office of Alcohol Control Committee reached out-of-court settlement with the violators after collecting the fines.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand the logic of prohibiting alcohol and cigarettes on television adverts, racing cars etc, but going to the extreme of prosecuting for displaying on restaurant menus is IMO ridiculous.

Not to mention the selective enforcement of such ridiculous regulatory prohibitions.

When I am INSIDE a restaurant, a bar or a pub I already made my mind up about what I drink!

I am not going "Ooooohhhh delicious orange- juice....oh...wait...there is a picture of a beer! Guess, I have to change my mind and get sloshed!"

You can almost feel the intelligence level in this country sink on a daily base!

I can understand the logic of prohibiting alcohol and cigarettes on television adverts, racing cars etc, but going to the extreme of prosecuting for displaying on restaurant menus is IMO ridiculous.

And the key to this whole case " farang expatriates " ;)

When I am INSIDE a restaurant, a bar or a pub I already made my mind up about what I drink!

I am not going "Ooooohhhh delicious orange- juice....oh...wait...there is a picture of a beer! Guess, I have to change my mind and get sloshed!"

You can almost feel the intelligence level in this country sink on a daily base!

Sinking with the increase in Farangs... whistling.gif

If your avatar is anything to go by, then most likely. tongue.pnggiggle.gif

So you can't have logos in a menu, but it's ok to be seen from miles away?

Showing the brand is perfectly ok. It's showing what's termed a 'pack-shot' - product, glass with contents - that's illegal here.

Serious question, as Soutpeel already pointed out:

Why doesn't the first sentence in the OP read: "In a case that could serve as a warning for restaurants and bars in Thailand,..."

but

"In a case that could serve as a warning for farang expatriates who have restaurants and bars in Thailand,..." ?

Is this just by accident or does it really mean what it says? Does this law / regulation only apply to restaurants / bars owned by farang expats?

If yes, the story would be a completely different one than the title suggests.

Showing the brand is perfectly ok. It's showing what's termed a 'pack-shot' - product, glass with contents - that's illegal here.

So it won't be too long before glass fronted refrigerators will have their doors painted in bars, restraunts, mom and pop corner stores etc. RIDICULOUS!!blink.png

I suppose the next stage would be to stop a shop or restaurant displaying the drinks in a glass fronted fridge.

The same as they do with cigarettes, where they are hidden in shuttered display cabinets.

(DELETED) but this is ridiculous.

Farangs are selective with what they drink. Unlike Thais they will not drink any crap that gets them drunk quickly and cheaply. Most have good taste ( with drinks anyway ) and like their own particular brands.

Thais call every spirit Whisky, They have no concept of the difference between Whisky / Rum / Brandy / Gin / Vodka / etc

Their height of sophistication is a bottle of Spy they call wine. So a choice is not important to them.

Perhaps they will adopt the American idea where all bottles of alcohol appear to be sold and kept in plain brown paper bags

Edited by seedy
disrespect for Thai people

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And the key to this whole case " farang expatriates " wink.png

Why doesn't the first sentence in the OP read: "In a case that could serve as a warning for restaurants and bars in Thailand,..."

but

"In a case that could serve as a warning for farang expatriates who have restaurants and bars in Thailand,..." ?

Is this just by accident or does it really mean what it says? Does this law / regulation only apply to restaurants / bars owned by farang expats?

I believe, as TVF articles are directed to the ex-pats and English speaking farangs, you are both over reacting.

The ban is for all people in Thailand.

What I also believe is that this is an extreme case with the intention to warn all parties about the ban.

I suppose the next stage would be to stop a shop or restaurant displaying the drinks in a glass fronted fridge.

The same as they do with cigarettes, where they are hidden in shuttered display cabinets.

but this is ridiculous.

Farangs are selective with what they drink. Unlike Thais they will not drink any crap that gets them drunk quickly and cheaply. Most have good taste ( with drinks anyway ) and like their own particular brands.

Thais call every spirit Whisky, They have no concept of the difference between Whisky / Rum / Brandy / Gin / Vodka / etc

Their height of sophistication is a bottle of Spy they call wine. So a choice is not important to them.

This maybe true of the Thais in your village in Nakon nowhere dear boy, but not all Thai's are rice picking peasants,

I have been to dinner with some of the boys who drink bottles of wine which are more than your pension or teachers salary so maybe less of the all encompassing generalisations about a population you obviously know very little off outside your little farang bwana bubble you live in

Go out of the sun, there is no increasing of Farangs,

it's more the opposite.

How is it legal for farang expatriates to own restaurants and bars in Thailand? They are Annex 3 businesses under the Foreign Business Act and require majority Thai ownership, unless they have an alien business licence under the Thai-US Treaty of Amity or the Thai-Australia FBA or because they are large enough businesses to convince the Commerce Ministry to issue one.

Perhaps a more serious warning to farang expatriates who own restaurants and bars in Thailand will be forthcoming before this government has run its course. There seem to enough genuinely Thai owned businesses in this sector that the government might feel the foreign competition is not needed.

Edited by Dogmatix

I beg your pardon, but this is hypocracy as it is the best.

All the ppl should made 1 month embargo to buy Alcohol, would be interesting to see the reaction of the government then.

It isn't called ridiculous, it's called hypocrisy.

but this is ridiculous.

This maybe true of the Thais in your village in Nakon nowhere dear boy, but not all Thai's are rice picking peasants,

I have been to dinner with some of the boys who drink bottles of wine which are more than your pension or teachers salary so maybe less of the all encompassing generalisations about a population you obviously know very little off outside your little farang bwana bubble you live in

Hardly something to extoll, given crippling poverty in Thailand and elsewhere...

but this is ridiculous.

Hardly something to extoll, given crippling poverty in Thailand and elsewhere...

That's not the point, the poster was as making all encompassing derogatory comments about a whole nation of people so called his BS that's all

Edited by seedy

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And the key to this whole case " farang expatriates " wink.png

but

I believe, as TVF articles are directed to the ex-pats and English speaking farangs, you are both over reacting.

The ban is for all people in Thailand.

What I also believe is that this is an extreme case with the intention to warn all parties about the ban.

The question are not the rules, it's more which restaurants(Owner)got punished until now. This could be also dirty way to wipe out very selctive any farang ownership over the backdoor.

but this is ridiculous.

To drink expensive wine means not, that they having any idea, what they drinking about.

It's often more to display their status, to show that they can afford it. wink.png

but this is ridiculous.

To drink expensive wine means not, that they having any idea, what they drinking about.

It's often more to display their status, to show that they can afford it. wink.png

And this differs from farangistan how ? Wine tasting /drinking the world over has snobbery attached to it, so please don't single out Thais alone in this regard and the vast majority of self proclaimed farang wine experts don't know what they are drinking half the time either and yes its been proven in blind tests

Nice glass of red with ice of course ha ha ha

How do you know it was a red, it may have been fish which being eaten ? One suspects only chavs such as your good self john drink their wine or beer for that matter with ice in it ;)