Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

Pointed your foot at him ?

You're lucky he didn't punch you in the head.

Guess you haven't been riding much.

Guess you're not familiar foot pointing is an insult here.

I'm very familiar with what foot pointing means. But it's not an insult when you're on a bike and pointing your foot to the ground to indicate to other bikers behind you that there is a hazard on the road. It is in fact good practice and protocol, even here in Thailand.

Guess you and milesofsmiles are not regular group riders.

The Thai didn't realize what he was pointing at (the sidestand was still down when the Thai came at him and cut him up).

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get your troll, mate. You could have just left it at "I find the roads here to be fairly good and safe".

Too old to adapt ?

I'm in my 20's, so probably not.

Why do you try to shiftblame onto people's ages, you did the same a few pages back? Trolling?

So, after fruitful and mature discussion, I think we have come to a consensus.

Happy Grumpy and his glittery/spangly gear wearing friends excite the locals on rather small engined scooters to display a homo-erotic mating ritual that the rest of us butter side up chaps on real bikes don't see.

Nothing wrong with wearing the glitter boys and only having a small piston, but monkey see monkey do. You get me? Just saying.

Yeah, maybe you're right, it must be what we are wearing. I wonder what this guy was wearing that upset the Camry driver so much? http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/22/temper-temper-camry-driver-goes-kung-<deleted>-honda-video

Happy Grumpy and his glittery/spangly gear wearing friends excite the locals on rather small engined scooters to display a homo-erotic mating ritual that the rest of us butter side up chaps on real bikes don't see.

Nothing wrong with wearing the glitter boys and only having a small piston, but monkey see monkey do. You get me? Just saying.

Yeah, maybe you're right, it must be what we are wearing. I wonder what this guy was wearing that upset the Camry driver so much? http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/04/22/temper-temper-camry-driver-goes-kung-<deleted>-honda-video

Frightening.

Ignore the trolls - it doesn't happen/it's your imagination/it happens because of your age/clothes/attitude/poor riding skills - They seem to be a bit conflicted. :D

The stats that Thais are 4th in the World for road traffic deaths per capita is also frightening, firearm homicides are right up there too - over 20,000 every year, usually around 23,000 I think.

Perhaps there's an emotional or mental link linking the two? huh.png

Frightening.

Ignore the trolls - it doesn't happen/it's your imagination/it happens because of your age/clothes/attitude/poor riding skills - They seem to be a bit conflicted. biggrin.png

The stats that Thais are 4th in the World for road traffic deaths per capita is also frightening, firearm homicides are right up there too - over 20,000 every year, usually around 23,000 I think.

Was a poor example, as everyone has said that car drivers can be aggressive, other bikes aren't. You two just seem to just be grandstanding and quite frankly talking rubbish.

If it is too much for you poor souls to ride around Bangkok, leave it to the real men (that includes the Thais) and go back to pottering around the mooh ban on your scooter. Now there is a troll comment for you :)

Frightening.

Ignore the trolls - it doesn't happen/it's your imagination/it happens because of your age/clothes/attitude/poor riding skills - They seem to be a bit conflicted. biggrin.png

Was a poor example, as everyone has said that car drivers can be aggressive, other bikes aren't. You two just seem to just be grandstanding and quite frankly talking rubbish.

If it is too much for you poor souls to ride around Bangkok, leave it to the real men (that includes the Thais) and go back to pottering around the mooh ban on your scooter. Now there is a troll comment for you :)

Well, my mooh ban must extend all the way down to Nakhon Si Thammarat, because I just road my "scooter" down there and back, encountering many competitive/aggressive Thais in cars and on bikes during the 2000km trip!

OP, can you at least come up with some other insult other than the word "troll"? You're boring me to death here.

The usual meaning of "troll" is someone who intentionally says inflammatory (often untrue) things, solely to get a rise out of people.

It does not mean:

-anybody who disagrees with you

-anybody who asks about your driving/riding style

-anybody who questions the veracity of your statements

-anybody who doesn't share your bizarre, bigoted viewpoints of the native population

At least come up with another word. Get a thesaurus or something, mate.

Just out of curiosity, what do you ride and what sort of riding do you do? Commuting, touring, racing? Would help some of us to understand better where you are coming from so that we would know how to respond to your posts.

First page:

"I ride a CBR500 with proper gear including a reflective vest and open face helmet when in the city for visibility."

The other posters that talking openly about it and don't try to troll, ride pcx's or cbr250's.

Just out of curiosity, what do you ride and what sort of riding do you do? Commuting, touring, racing? Would help some of us to understand better where you are coming from so that we would know how to respond to your posts.

My situation is :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/818776-many-thai-driversriders-become-aggressive-when-you-overtake-them-why/page-3#entry9325603

Today it was a CBR150R while on my CBR250R.

He was in front of me.

I just do what I always do on that road, observe in front of me and move smoothly into other lanes. He got stuck in his lane as I cruised past him in another lane.

A few minutes later and as the road had opened up I am cruising and go to change lanes into my right, check my mirrors and do a head turn and luckily picked him up as he came from behind left at WOT to overtake me on my right by a few centimeters in a racing position.

Very, very aggressive.

Not very peaceful and Buddhist.

my experience is re thai male drivers/bike riders,scooter riders is that they prone to be aggressive.You should remember they have a child's mentality,lack common sense and any sense of responsibility...keep this in mind and you will have a chance to stay safe on the roads,as long as you too do not become angry,impatient etc etc.

Your post is listed as 'popular' so you may be onto something.

I certainly agree with the first sentence.

The flip-side of the coin on this is when you drive a motorbike (translation: scooter), and unavoidably hold back traffic.

Several times, I have been at a place on the highway where there was no shoulder, and had to move out into the lane, when it appeared clear and safe behind me. I was driving about 70-80 kmh, but that was way too slow for a number of impatient drivers who came up behind me at over 100kmh. Many times, they have passed me, leaving less than a half-meter between my leg and the side of their vehicle, which scares the water outta me. Several other times, they passed, then purposely edged over to the side of the road where there was gravel, and sprayed me with dirt and rocks (a good reason for a full-faced helmet).

I know the hot-shots in this forum will tell me to get a hotter bike, yadda, yadda, yadda..... But that's not the point. I mostly toodle around the village and seldom get out on the open highway. I don't do this often, because I respect the danger incurred when holding back impatient traffic in Thailand; but there are sometimes when it cannot be avoided. The vengeful idiots then compound the danger by their anger.

Absolute recklessness and spite.

Perhaps it may be to do with their emotionally repressive culture, where natural emotions are to be abhorred and held deep within oneself and not to be shown. Behind the wheel or helmet they are hidden and they can release this pent up anger and frustration?

Your own problem if you let yourself get disctracted by idiots on the road; we all know there are more than enough out there. I don't give a <deleted> about these i ride my way and mostly focus on myslef and my surroundings. Mostly in the end they will see my rear tire anyway....

Your own problem if you let yourself get disctracted by idiots on the road; we all know there are more than enough out there. I don't give a <deleted> about these i ride my way and mostly focus on myslef and my surroundings. Mostly in the end they will see my rear tire anyway....

Yes, forgive some of us who get distracted by getting sideswiped and sprayed in the face with gravel...it's our weakness. whistling.gif

Your own problem if you let yourself get disctracted by idiots on the road; we all know there are more than enough out there. I don't give a <deleted> about these i ride my way and mostly focus on myslef and my surroundings.

They are your surroundings.

Change 'distracted' to 'noticing'.

Why do you care that 'They see your rear tire anyway'?

You seem to have a dangerous riding attitude and poor skill set.

Perhaps some riding training would benefit you and keep you around a few years/decades longer. :)

Your own problem if you let yourself get disctracted by idiots on the road; we all know there are more than enough out there. I don't give a <deleted> about these i ride my way and mostly focus on myslef and my surroundings.

Perhaps some riding training would benefit you and keep you around a few years/decades longer. smile.png

As Gweiloman mentioned alread ppl like you is why the bike forum looses its quality memebers. Communting for over 6 years nearly daily in BKK with not a single incident, i believe i know what iam talking about. But if you see it as reckless driving thats your problem than you seem to dont know how to survive on these roads.

And YES iam riding OFFENSIVE!

Perhaps some riding training would benefit you and keep you around a few years/decades longer. smile.png

Notice, however, that he isn't getting run off the road. Maybe he's on to something?

Perhaps it may be to do with their emotionally repressive culture, where natural emotions are to be abhorred and held deep within oneself and not to be shown. Behind the wheel or helmet they are hidden and they can release this pent up anger and frustration?

It's pretty clear this thread is descending into nothing more than naked bigotry. I am starting to question whether you even own or ride a motorcycle; it seems to me you are simply using this thread as an excuse to vent your racist attitudes towards Thai people.

But if you see it as reckless driving thats your problem than you seem to dont know how to survive on these roads.

Interesting.

Some view it as 'reckless driving', some (bizarrely) don't.

• Why don't you?
  • What do you see it as?

How does my situation:

Cruising smoothly, observing the road far in front of me, letting people who want to overtake me overtake me and race away while I cruise at (not too far) above the flow of traffic, observing all around me, not caring about beating people and needing to show them my 'rear tire' to feel content in myself'.

• Equate to 'not knowing how to survive on these roads?'

Thanks for the interesting discussion. smile.png

Edited by DLang

It's pretty clear this thread is descending into nothing more than naked bigotry. I am starting to question whether you even own or ride a motorcycle.

Nonsense.

The OP and thread title asked 'why?'

The perhaps question quote above is a possible answer as to why.

I mean, there must be factors behind it.

Some posters are saying it is us (the people discussing it), it's only fair to put forward different ideas as to answer why.

And yes, I own and ride a CBR250R and PCX150. Have done so for quite some time. (CBR150 and Wave for 4 years before the CBR250R 4 yrs ago and PCX150 when they replaced the 125 about 3 years ago. :) )

But if you see it as reckless driving thats your problem than you seem to dont know how to survive on these roads.

Interesting.

• Why don't you?
  • What do you see it as?

How does my situation:

Cruising smoothly, observing the road far in front of me, letting people who want to overtake me overtake me and race away while I cruise at (not too far) above the flow of traffic, observing all around me, not caring about beating people and needing to show them my 'rear tire' to feel content in myself'.

As i mentioned its offensive but controlled riding.

Edited by Hili

You didn't answer any of the questions.

• Why don't you?
  • What do you see it as?

How does my situation:

Equate to 'not knowing how to survive on these roads?'

Perhaps you were just trolling/talking rubbish?

Edited by DLang

Interesting.

• Why don't you?
  • What do you see it as?

How does my situation:

As i mentioned its offensive but controlled riding.

Insane.

Too fast for traffic conditions, and passing on the line between two vehicles. In the last case, you are totally at the mercy of a sudden, slight swerve of the large vehicles. Just watched a video two days ago of a motorcycle driver doing the exact same thing. He's pushing up daisies today.

Just flicked through the video due to time constraints - 7:50 and aggressively going through the motosai taxi.

and this guy wants to preach about how to drive properly and how to 'survive on these roads'. cheesy.gif