Prayut wants 'hijab' issue handled with care

webfact

Prayut wants 'hijab' issue handled with care
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday that he had instructed the Education Ministry to solve the problem of Muslim students wearing the hijab or headscarves after a state school issued an order banning it.

The issue came into the spotlight after the Wat Nong Chok school in Bangkok's Nong Chok district rejected a request from 17 female Muslim students for permission to wear a headscarf to school.

The school's director Prapon Leesin said the Office of the Basic Education Commission (Obec) had resolved last month not to allow the wearing of headscarves in schools that are situated inside Buddhist temples and that his school had clear rules on uniforms.

He added that the students had 30 days to appeal against the decision, but they had not done so and that there was no religious dispute over the issue.

However, according to Sod Daengied, director-general of the Religion Department, there are no regulations obliging Buddhist |temples to prohibit people from other religions, regardless of what they |are wearing, from entering their facilities.

Meanwhile, Prayut said he had instructed state schools in the deep South, where the vast majority of the population is Muslim, to handle the issue with care.

"We want to see the South become the centre for Islamic culture of Thailand where people could express their identity freely," he said, though he added that the issue of Islamic attire should also be considered from the security aspect.

"Sometime insurgents wear headscarves to disguise themselves, which creates problems for officials. So please understand this problem."

Prayut added that he would have a consultation session with the Education Ministry and the Internal Security Operations Command to find a way to synchronise security and the expression of identity.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prayut-wants-hijab-issue-handled-with-care-30258389.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-21

Disgraceful prejudice and bigotry.

Do the Buddhists in Thailand truly understand their own faith? I think rather not. Gautama Buddha taught us to improve ourselves, not police others' behavior.

He who turns the other cheek gets hit with the other fist.

A hijab doesn't cover the face. I don't see how that can be seen as a security issue.

If this is a state run school (in a Muslim majority area, nonetheless) there's no reason they shouldn't be able to wear a hijab. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

• Like 1

"Sometime insurgents wear headscarves to disguise themselves, which creates problems for officials. So please understand this problem."

Won't that make insurgents easier to detect then? I know its a slippery slope saying people who wear head scarfs are automatically put on alert as being an insurgent. But its not as if the police recognize every insurgents face if they don't hear a head scarf too. So that is a poor excuse of banning head scarfs.

France made a bold decision and made it law, with the following provisions-

" In 2010, the French Parliament voted to ban the wearing of clothing that conceals the face in public places, becoming the first European country to restrict a custom that some Muslims consider a religious obligation. The so-called burqa bill — which also bans the wearing of masks, balaclavas and niqabs, which cover the face — went into effect in 2011 and does not forbid the wearing of the hijab, or head scarf... (specifically)."

• Like 1

A hijab doesn't cover the face. I don't see how that can be seen as a security issue.

If this is a state run school (in a Muslim majority area, nonetheless) there's no reason they shouldn't be able to wear a hijab. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

As long as all the other students can also wear whatever they like on their head. A turban, a tall hat, a bandana, a motorbike helmet (with visible face) or whatever pleases them.

This would be fun to wear and keep cool also: post-233034-0-41747700-1429589219_thumb. post-233034-0-81100200-1429589248_thumb.

Edited by Srikcir

.. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

This is exactly why it's called an issue smile.png Anyone can wear those hijabs but students!!!

.. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

This is exactly why it's called an issue smile.png Anyone can wear those hijabs but students!!!

Quite right too, religion should be kept out of education, that goes for Buddhism as well.

Edited by dragonfly94
  • Like 1

It's stupid and serves no purpose to ban head scarfs. However, veils masking the face is a whole other story, so, given these terrorist times, I think these should be banned.

What about sikhs wearing turbans?

Issue not unique to Thailand. As others have mentioned, France has some restrictions on the wearing of head-scarves and veils. Students and nurses in Singapore are not allowed to wear the tudung or hijab either, and this is a country with a Muslim population of about 15%. If they want to be fair about it, maybe they should also ban students from wearing Buddhist amulets or Christian crosses. In fact, ban religion altogether and we may make some real progress smile.png

It's stupid and serves no purpose to ban head scarfs. However, veils masking the face is a whole other story, so, given these terrorist times, I think these should be banned.

What about sikhs wearing turbans?

What is a Turban ? It is a type of headscarf that you say serves no purpose to ban. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif