Prayut wants 'hijab' issue handled with care

webfact

They look cute in headscarves, but full face veils absolutely not!!

I was trying to post a letter one night when I realised that I was poking a muslim woman in the eye. Damn if I know how she got in the letter box.

This one really cracked me up.

• Like 1

If the Muslims don't like Thailands or any non Muslim countries rules, then let them leave.

That bit down south was until recently not part of Thailand and Muslin.

So really you should be saying, "If Thailand doesn't like Muslims, give that part of the country back to Malaysia".

• Like 1

You can't give it BACK, as Malaysia never had it, Malaysia didn't exist when Britain and Siam agreed the border, it was British Malaya then. Besides, Malaysia wouldn't want it, they have problems enough with the fundamentalist PAS nut-cases in Kelantan, the state that borders Narathiwat.

Re the OP, as suggested I think people are confusing the hijab or tudung with the niqab, the former is a headscarf, the later covers the face excluding the eyes, the burqa covers face including the eyes behind a fabric mesh.

Disgraceful prejudice and bigotry.

Do the Buddhists in Thailand truly understand their own faith? I think rather not. Gautama Buddha taught us to improve ourselves, not police others' behavior.

I trust you've already written to the French PM and government admonishing them for taking a much more extreme stance?

• Like 1

Wow, that is an epic false analogy. Well played, man.

Do the Buddhists in Thailand truly understand their own faith? I think rather not. Gautama Buddha taught us to improve ourselves, not police others' behavior.

He who turns the other cheek gets hit with the other fist.

I don't give a toss about France, frankly. No reason to.

I trust you've already written to the French PM and government admonishing them for taking a much more extreme stance?

I know what I believe and will leave it at that. I have never spoken to Gautama Buddha in person and view what man has written about his teachings with skepticism. From my limited viewpoint, some people seem to pick and choose what is convenient and self-serving from organized beliefs.

• Like 1

A hijab doesn't cover the face. I don't see how that can be seen as a security issue.

If this is a state run school (in a Muslim majority area, nonetheless) there's no reason they shouldn't be able to wear a hijab. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

If they want to live in a certain country, then they obey that countrys laws or get out.

Try living in a Muslim country and don't obey their laws and see what happens.

The OP is about Thai Muslim citizens as was the poster to whom you replied. BTW perhaps you did not read the quote in the OP.

"However, according to Sod Daengied, director-general of the Religion Department, there are no regulations obliging Buddhist temples to prohibit people from other religions, regardless of what they are wearing, from entering their facilities"

In addition you & others may like to comprehend institutional support for law abiding Thai Muslim citizens, the vast majority, by reading the content from a Thai government website at the URL below.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/en/organize

• Like 2

My point exactly, man. Why attribute these judgmental decisions to the Buddha when he never made mention of them?

For my part, I am an atheist bordering on anti-theist.

It makes me sick when people interpret ancient teachings to suit their own agenda.

I know what I believe and will leave it at that. I have never spoken to Gautama Buddha in person and view what man has written about his teachings with skepticism. From my limited viewpoint, some people seem to pick and choose what is convenient and self-serving from organized beliefs.

I don't give a toss about France, frankly. No reason to.

So you only care about what you perceive to be Thai Buddhist's prejudice and bigotry?

Your only concerned about events in your bounded world view. Did you learn that from Buddha too?

I don't mean to be disrespectful but my impression (possibly false) is that the Muslim covering for women is about female modesty and not presenting tempting flesh to males, who apparently can't help themselves if they see a neck or an ankle.

So my question is why do Muslim women who are clearly very obese, very old, or very ugly of the face feel the need to cover for this purpose as those with such appearances wouldn't normally be a temptation to these out of control men? I get it, rules are rules, or maybe for old times sake, but I still find I am curious about the practicality and logic of that.

Good question. But tastes differ considerably. Beauty and the eye of the beholder and all that.

Have you seen the way some of those guys look at their camels? whistling.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's stupid and serves no purpose to ban head scarfs. However, veils masking the face is a whole other story, so, given these terrorist times, I think these should be banned.

What about sikhs wearing turbans?

Don't know if there's any precedence in schools, but interestingly enough there's an allowance in the Thai traffic code that says Sikhs don't have to wear a helmet on a motorbike.

A hijab doesn't cover the face. I don't see how that can be seen as a security issue.

If this is a state run school (in a Muslim majority area, nonetheless) there's no reason they shouldn't be able to wear a hijab. The fact that the school is on temple grounds is a non-issue, I see muslims wearing hijabs selling food etc. in markets on temple grounds all the time.

If they want to live in a certain country, then they obey that countrys laws or get out.

Muslims have lived in Nong Jok for close to 100 years now. Most of the canals in that area were dug by laborers forcibly relocated from the deep south. Nong Jok to this day is a Muslim majority area, and they are Thai citizens. Telling them "BE BUDDHIST OR GO HOME" is a pretty idiotic, uninformed statement.

• Like 1

Gautama made no mention of worshiping a God either! which makes Buddism a Philosophy and not a Relidgeon!

Gautama also never mentioned or claimed to be a God,So that makes Buddhism a Philosophy and not a Religion.

Edited by MAJIC

Gautama also never mentioned or claimed to be a God,So that makes Buddhism a Philosophy and not a Religion.

It's a religion.

In fact, Thailand is the most religious nation in the world, mostly Buddhist of course, based on a recent Gallup poll.

Despite this wealth of philosophy, Buddhism is also a religion by any definition of that indefinable term—unless one narrowly defines religion as belief in a creator god.

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/buddhism-philosophy-or-religion

The school had an existing dress code. This item of clothing did not comply. It is not allowed unless the dress code is changed.

Does not seem to be religious to me, but just happens to be about a religious item.

They were not banned from the school, just told to comply with the "existing" dress code.

If these girls wanted to not comply with the dress code in come other manner it would not be news.

Uniforms, hair length, shoes are often standard in many factories, hospitals, police force, airline cabin attendants, MONKS, priests, Nuns, on and on..... including Hooters..

There are also height, weight, strength, intelligence, knowledge talent and other requirements for many jobs or activities .

So if I don't comply or meet the requirements I should be allowed to join anyway?

There are other schools, jobs and occupations available for those who do not want to meet the job description.

I was forced to shave my beard because working in a hazardous area my breathing gear would not seal having a beard, or I could transfer to a different job.

Rings are not allowed near rotating machinery with the risk or having your finger ripped off. Lose clothing or long hair also.

I would expect that a taqiyah or kippah would not be allowed to be worn by a monk or a priest. Is this the same issue?

Gee the PC machine is headed to Thailand......

The ninja outfit IS a big security issue, & it is not a requirement of islam, Go read you koran & quote chapter & verse if you disagree. The laws of the nation are the laws of the nation. The custom of an area are the customs of an area. Fashion sense

is what this is all about. Wearing wife beater t shirts outside the boxing ring, or beach is somewhere between poor taste and disgusting, in my humble opinion. Headscarfes do not disguise the wearer anymore than a turban. Both are fashion accessories. Either the schools have a dress code that applies to everyone or they don't. If the fashion code is in place F.I.O.F.O. Gotta code, meet the code, Welcome. Dressed wrong, sorry you choose not to come inside.

Bad Tony