Good Local Real Estate Lawyer

factseeker

Hi,

Wife and I are both Non Thai - holding 'Retirement NOn O Visa'.

I am looking to have a just a brief initial discussion with a local Chiang Mai lawyer ref possibly buying a property here.

Would have preferred something with a garden but it would be an apartment/condo where we can at least hold some form of 'Freehold'.

Obviously we would like an English speaker and someone who has experience of dealing with Non Thai situations.

Preferably not too big a set up so that can be kept 'personal'.

Can anyone recommend from personal experience?

Be grateful.

Best Rgds.

FS.

I am sure that you are aware that a non Thai cannot own any land (such as a garden) in their own name. You can only lease the land, but can own the building.

Hi,

Yes aware of that situation and greatly tightend up recently.

But thnxs for reply.

• 7 months later...

Do not use ICO.

We have waited 4 months for some work promised, nothing happened and the things that were done caused more harm than helped.

I always felt they do not have a clue what they are doing.

After 4 months we complained about the sloppy way they do the communications and we got immediatley shoved out of the office with the note that ICO does not want to continue in our case (I guess finally they realised they were not able to).

Stay away.

Sumalee Jennapa

Room B, Ground Floor

229 Huay Kaew Road
Suthep Muang
Chiang Mai 50200
Thailand

We tried to get an appointment with Khun Sumalee but she was unavailable at that time.

We were referred to one of her partners.

I am afraid he did not impress us very much.

Long winded, and not sure on certain points.

This would suggest it is better to ensure you see K Sumalee in person.

Sumalee Jennapa

Room B, Ground Floor

229 Huay Kaew Road
Suthep Muang
Chiang Mai 50200
Thailand

We tried to get an appointment with Khun Sumalee but she was unavailable at that time.

We were referred to one of her partners.

I am afraid he did not impress us very much.

Long winded, and not sure on certain points.

This would suggest it is better to ensure you see K Sumalee in person.

Kuhn Sumalee's partner is Dr Pichai Ponpai (Ph.D), a most capable and highly respected lawyer, he has acted for me previously and I was very satisfied with his work. If you consult with either lawyer at that practice and ask questions specific to different areas of the Province, they often have to call to find the answer. For example, if you ask, does Omkoi District offer usufructs, they will likely say they don't know and will have to call.

• 3 weeks later...

Ground floor Room B ? What is the name of the building ?

Can someone post a google street view link please.

Punna Condo's:

On the left side as you head out towards Doi Suthep, just the other side of Canal Road, this side of the CMU entrance, Dunkin Donuts on the left corner is a good marker, 75 metres beyond is where you'll find it.

Sumalee Jennapa

Room B, Ground Floor

229 Huay Kaew Road
Suthep Muang
Chiang Mai 50200
Thailand

+1, Sumalee is excelllent and an extremly pleasant lady.

+2.. very helpful, honest and illigent..

Unusually for a Thai was very upfront to me about legal risks I might be taking while buying my wife land, while sitting there with my wife.. Sugar coated nothing and didnt talk in thai riddles or polite soft niceties. Was impressed with her.

Do not use ICO.

We have waited 4 months for some work promised, nothing happened and the things that were done caused more harm than helped.

I always felt they do not have a clue what they are doing.

After 4 months we complained about the sloppy way they do the communications and we got immediatley shoved out of the office with the note that ICO does not want to continue in our case (I guess finally they realised they were not able to).

Stay away.

ICO is a franchise. They handled the purchase and sale of my home near perfect. The initial consultation was free. The was after some other long winded, highly reputable guy, charged me 1000 thb to tell me, he would set up a company for me for 65K, which would have been a terrible mistake on the purchase of one house. BTW, ICO quoted me 5000 thb for the retirement extension....I will also note that the nominee/attorney who did mine, quit doing it, as she felt the screws were tightening. It has been a while. But, if you talk to those in the know, they will have the nitty gritty on which land offices are cooperative and which are not. I would even have a word with Perfect Homes, and tell them what you are trying to do.....

Ground floor Room B ? What is the name of the building ?

Can someone post a google street view link please.

Punna Condo's:

On the left side as you head out towards Doi Suthep, just the other side of Canal Road, this side of the CMU entrance, Dunkin Donuts on the left corner is a good marker, 75 metres beyond is where you'll find it.

Thanks, good directions.

I am sure that you are aware that a non Thai cannot own any land (such as a garden) in their own name. You can only lease the land, but can own the building.

Hi,

Yes aware of that situation and greatly tightend up recently.

But thnxs for reply.

How do you intend to get around the legalities?

• 3 months later...

Sumalee Jennapa

Room B, Ground Floor

229 Huay Kaew Road
Suthep Muang
Chiang Mai 50200
Thailand

+1, Sumalee is excelllent and an extremly pleasant lady.

Yest went to see her - agree 100% - seems absolutely 'correct' person.

My thnxs for your help.

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2016 at 10:12 AM, LannaGuy said:

Thai Visa Assist can do the paperwork, will, usufruct and anything else you need

Lanna

Good day.

Do you have a contact there?

I am now in the process of buying land in Chanthaburi. Next step is getting solid legal help that can work thru all the details for a legitimate purchase...if not possible then I will abort.

If any members know of a contact (incl k Sumalee above, I will call her) that knows real estate and can do Chanthaburi deals a contact would be appreciated.

Cheers

1 hour ago, kuma said:

Lanna

Good day.

Do you have a contact there?

I am now in the process of buying land in Chanthaburi. Next step is getting solid legal help that can work thru all the details for a legitimate purchase...if not possible then I will abort.

If any members know of a contact (incl k Sumalee above, I will call her) that knows real estate and can do Chanthaburi deals a contact would be appreciated.

Cheers

Khun Rhys (English) is the main man there and they are based in Chiang Mai Land