What's the average sq. m. cost to build?

As the topic says, what's the average cost to build per sq. m. for a room if the standard is the "normal" for thai tenants? With "normal" i mean a water heater in the shower that also has a "farang" toilet but not much else in the way of "technology".

How long is a piece of string?

Quite a few threads on this, so try a forum search as well.

Very much dependant upon where you're building and what you consider 'quality'.

The average rebuild cost used by at least one insurance company is 15,000 per square metre for the structure (with plumbing and wiring, but no water heaters A/C etc).

In reality, 9,000 will get you Thai quality, cheapest fittings, 25,000 and up will get you good Western quality, decent fittings.

EDIT What exactly are you building? The numbers above are for a stand alone house, you refer to a 'room', if an apartment block then the numbers will differ.

Prices depends a bit on the location, but there are two ways to built in Thailand.

1. You let the contracter do everyting and pay a fixed price, costs about 12,000 baht/m2 for a local builder and up for quality builders/big companies.

2. You let the contracter provide the labour and you buy the materials yourself. This can be a real money saver. Labour alone is around 3,000 per m2.

The average rebuild cost used by at least one insurance company is 15,000 per square metre for the structure (with plumbing and wiring, but no water heaters A/C etc).

In reality, 9,000 will get you Thai quality, cheapest fittings, 25,000 and up will get you good Western quality, decent fittings.

EDIT What exactly are you building? The numbers above are for a stand alone house, you refer to a 'room', if an apartment block then the numbers will differ.

Can build a nice house for 15000b/sqm, include everything, air, fans, qcon walls, ...., except the kitchen.

At 20000b it's already high end finishing.

Are you using marble...or bamboo?

Actually...you can build a one bedroom, one bath house out of concrete...generic type materials for 800,000.

2 bedroom/2 bath....probably 1.2 million.

You have the hardest question in the world. Labor...labor. How many guys? How many doors and windows? etc.

My figures are inclusive...but does not include land. Location can be so diverse in price....no sense in figuring the land out.

Up on the farm, in small village and away from the highway.....150,000 per rai ...and up.

Edited by slipperylobster

I've been building/constructing here 3 houses, one of them being a commercial one.

There is no straight answer since it all depends whether its a company building for you or you just pay daily wages or lump sum for some finished job.

The last one I built was nice quality rental rooms, sort of resort style with hot water, air-cons, nice tiling, heat insulated metal sheet roof. I consider the result to be very nice with slightly higher ceilings and nice - but not expensive - fittings.

I asked for few offers and ended up buying the stuff myself and hiring local help. Some things like ceilings I ordered from guys specialized in them. They charged per square meter and worked quick and professional.

There are things like the quality of concrete. The chippings in it are different size depending strength and price likewise can double. There are also different cement used depending the use. You can buy a cubic meter starting around 1200 Baht to 2000 or even upwards.

I mention concrete since it takes a lot from footings and from other structure hidden under the house. If talking about one floor building it's almost 50% when the build starts to go upwards from the ground. 3 or more floors you can double the prize easily. The basic footings in my opinion can take 2 floors but when going higher one needs more support.

I ended up paying appr. 4600 Baht per square meter and few extras for this and that. The cheapest offer from a company was 2 million, I paid 1,2.

I built a house, and it is much better to pay each worker, than have a foreman pay them. My recommendation would be to get a solid figure for completion...and set a deadline. Pay them weekly...but not in advance...ever. Bonus available (up to you) if completed before the agreed date...last week/month with held until completed...if they cannot meet the deadline.

Consider knockdown house. You can research online. I was thinking....why not build cement posts and a removable steel grid...customized for a particular knockdown house. Then expand from there.... You could take your time, while moving in right away. Let's face it...if things go boobs up, then you knock down what you have and haul it all away to sell....leaving just a bunch of concrete posts sticking up from the ground.

Sometimes, Mr China Shark may come in possession of your wife's land (without your knowledge)..... No need for him to get the shanty too.

This is not for those big spenders....this is for me.

I built a house, and it is much better to pay each worker, than have a foreman pay them. My recommendation would be to get a solid figure for completion...and set a deadline. Pay them weekly...but not in advance...ever. Bonus available (up to you) if completed before the agreed date...last week/month with held until completed...if they cannot meet the deadline.

Consider knockdown house. You can research online. I was thinking....why not build cement posts and a removable steel grid...customized for a particular knockdown house. Then expand from there.... You could take your time, while moving in right away. Let's face it...if things go boobs up, then you knock down what you have and haul it all away to sell....leaving just a bunch of concrete posts sticking up from the ground.

Sometimes, Mr China Shark may come in possession of your wife's land (without your knowledge)..... No need for him to get the shanty too.

Or a teak house, around 13,000 to 15,000 Baht/m2.

Or a container house.

Both removable.

Problems with the Tilak?

Just move the house..........

Or a teak house, around 13,000 to 15,000 Baht/m2.

Or a container house.

Both removable.

Problems with the Tilak?

Just move the house..........

fair. she has the property...you split with the house.

My advice to you is don't do it rent . In the long run you will be a lot better off but you will build because your thai will tell you to like ever western that comes to thailand I did and wish I did not and if you do make sure you get USUFRUCTS Agreedment done .

It should cost you about 50,000 thai baht it will be the best 50,000 thai bht you have spend in thailand I did and no one can throw me out of my home on my Thais land . When go's to shit if is dose not saying it will but you will not be put out on the street.

Why is it, that every thread which discusses building or things to do with building, brings out "the rent don't buy" crowd?

By the way, anyone who paid 50,000 Baht for an usufruct was well and truly seen coming.

Why is it, that every thread which discusses building or things to do with building, brings out "the rent don't buy" crowd?

By the way, anyone who paid 50,000 Baht for an usufruct was well and truly seen coming.

Well I am not sure it was that much ok but why not pay it have you got one in place ?

Renting before you build is sort of a requirement. You cannot live in a house that is not built yet....lol.

And the rent instead of buy crowd.....excellent advice....if you are a newcomer. You might want to look around before you buy....for several years.

Not very crafty to run here and buy a house right off the bat.... Many people change their mind about living here forever....some are stuck here...others have options.

Well I am not sure it was that much ok but why not pay it have you got one in place ?

As it happens, no, but we have a mortgage which precludes any other lien on the property. Once paid off the usufruct will be put in place.

And now, a friendly reminder of the topic subject which is cost per m2 to build a property.

Further off-topic posts will be removed.

For the rent don't buy crowd, why not start a thread, how about "Reasons to Rent and not Buy" for a heading?

EDIT Here you go, I've even started it for you http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/819665-reasons-why-one-should-rent-and-not-buy-property-in-thailand/ enjoy.

I registered a usufruct with my wife, cost: 75 baht per chanote as it was a usufruct for free. If a value was registered, tax must be paid over the amount.

If you have a mortgage, you often have a life insurance. Simply have the misses make a will in which she gives the land to a Thai person (son daughter etc) with a usufruct attached on it for you as part of the will. If she dies before the mortgage is finished, the life insurance should pay the rest off, so you can have a usufruct per above.

depends where you are to a degree. Phuket and Sanui in particular will charge more than mainland (Samui because i=of ferries to transport materials) because they can. 25,000 to 40,000m2 for "first class finish. People her recommending buying your own materials etc. Good luck with that!if you can get 11,000 to 15,000m2 for a first class finish you've done okay

Can build a nice house for 15000b/sqm, include everything, air, fans, qcon walls, ...., except the kitchen.

At 20000b it's already high end finishing.

"nice" is a matter of individual perception.

How long i piece of string? I can help with that. It's twice the length of a half piece of string.

As for the cost of a house, as Crossy says, it depends. but I can say with near certainty, and I think few will disagree, that it will probably cost at least 10-20% more than your best estimate and you should budget for that. As you move along building -- especially after you pass the 50% point, the unexpected will keep happening. Small stuff, fire fighting. Often small extra costs, but they keep piling up until they become a point of annoyance and frustration.

A couple of months ago as I was preparing the ground to put in 1,000 square meters of grass, I calculated that I'd need about 25,000 liters of water per day initially. I thought I better check with my village water supply as it already seemed strained. They said "No way, Jose!" I had to put in a well, pump, wiring and pipes.

I remember Crossy (sparky extraordinaire) saying he had to return home (GB) at the time the Thai sparky was wiring his house. When he got back to Thailand, I think I recall he said it was all screwed up and he had to pull it out and do it again. How's that for irony? But that sort of thing pretty typical, really.

I thought I thought of everything. That's simply not possible here.

Having a house built now down Trang paying the builder-in stage payments-360,000 baht for a single story 2 bed/2 bath house of 110 square meters approx 3,500 baht/sq.mtre for build only but including electrics/tiling/painting etc. I,m paying for all materials-reckon on 1.2 million baht for completed house to decent western standards thumbsup.gif

Built a 6 x 6 meter one story house in Prathai for $6,000. Two doors, 4 windows and electric lights and outlet. Separate bathroom with separate toilet room and shower room for $4,000 American.

a "house" size 6x6m? ohmy.png

I built a 68 sqm Thai house in a rural area about 7 years ago for B440,000 (B6,500 per m2), all in. House has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, kitchen and living room, aluminum windows, and bug screens. Includes an additional 10m2 covered porch on the front and 1m of cement deck at the sides and rear. I'm sure prices have gone up over the past 7 years, but certainly not more than 20-30%. There's a lot of information with actual builds and costs on coolthaihouse dotcom.

Someone meantioned that the cost of building a concrete condo is very different from a house.

Anyone know the current cost of building say a 10 story concrete condo with no fittings etc? For our building insurance we are working on about 8,000 Baht per sq metre but do not know if this is reasonable.

....obviously there are a lot of ignorant foreigners paying way too much for their houses and have money to waste.

5000 b / sm can easily get you the quality foreign house you desire with hot water and ac....

sad...how little research people do

....obviously there are a lot of ignorant foreigners paying way too much for their houses and have money to waste.

5000 b / sm can easily get you the quality foreign house you desire with hot water and ac....

sad...how little research people do

Where?

Name of Contractor?

Photo's of an example house please.

Our home is based upon design number 30 on this page http://www.dpt.go.th/download/PW/house_model/framehome.html

According to the site it's 332m2 and the quoted price for the piled structure is 2,138,000 Baht. That's about 6,300 Baht per m2 but prices are 10 years old. Our structure cost just under 6,000,000 in 2011 but we did make some changes to the roof which jacked up the cost by a significant chunk.

Someone meantioned that the cost of building a concrete condo is very different from a house.

Anyone know the current cost of building say a 10 story concrete condo with no fittings etc? For our building insurance we are working on about 8,000 Baht per sq metre but do not know if this is reasonable.

That seems not very realistic. No experience in these kind of processes, but a high rise requires a very good foundation, which costs money, and a very strong construction by experienced builders.