Bank Balance for UK Visa

HI Everyone,

I am planning on making a UK tourist visa for my Thai girlfriend and am worried about how much money I need in the bank. I have just finished paying my student overdraft off and now am at around £200 plus in my bank as I have only been back in the country for 7 weeks. Would this be a problem when making the Visa if i am to act as my Thai girlfriends guarantor? I am making roughly £500 a week and can get a letter from my employer to show this. Will this be sufficient?

Thanks for any help

Terry

Thanks for the reply Tom.

I have been told that I will off needed £2000 in my bank for 2 months before applying which isn't ideal because I wanted my girlfriend to come my sisters wedding in June.

Would it be possible to use my Dad as guarantor just for the sake of making the Visa because he casn show his bank statements.

Thanks

The ECO will not really be too concerned about who is paying for the trip. It can be your girlfriend, you as her sponsor or a third party such as your father. You don't have to have any particular amount in the bank for any particular period. Whoever is funding the trip (including flights) however must supply detailed evidence of available funds and if it is a third party they will have to write a letter confirming they will pay and explaining why they are paying. The application form asks about the costs of the trip and who will be paying. The person/people paying need to supply 6 months bank statements and evidence of salary in the form of payslips over the same period. You also need to satisfy the ECO that you are in a proper relationship and perhaps most importantly of all that your girlfriend will return to Thailand at the end of the trip. This last point is probably the main cause of applications being rejected. If you want her to be in the UK early June then bear in mind that the application takes time and must be done online. You/she then have to make an appointment to lodge the application in Bangkok and then it takes time to process the application so you could run out of time quite quickly. Good luck.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a guarantor for a UK visit visa.

There can be a sponsor, though this is the person supporting the application, usually the person the applicant is visiting, who may also be, but not necessarily, the person paying for it.

Secondly, there is no set amount of available funds which are needed; it depends on too many variables such as the length of the visit, where the visitor will be staying etc. Whoever told you that you need at least £2000 in the bank for at least 2 months is wrong.

As bigyin says, finance for the visit can come from the applicant, the sponsor, a third party(ies) or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing towards the cost of the visit should provide evidence of their ability to do so, at least the last three months, preferably 6, bank statements and, if possible, pay slips. If a third party then they should write a letter to say why they are doing so.

As you have only recently started work then I suggest explaining this in your sponsor's letter to show why previous bank statements have a low balance and including pay slips to show your current income. No real need for a letter from your employer.

To apply, see here.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful.

Thanks for the replys.

OK so I am going to explain in my letter about my financial situation and that I am in a Job with a constant wage. I will also ask my dad to act as the guarantor as his bank statements can prove that he has enough to act as a sponsor.

I am planning on doing the application on behalf of my girlfriend myself as I cannot afford a Visa Company at this moment in time. So I have a couple more questions:

I was wondering does my Thai girlfriend need to show any money in her bank account?

Roughly how long will the whole process take?

Do the bank statements of myself, my dad and Thai girlfriend need to be originals? Or will original documents scanned onto the computer be OK?

I can prove we are in a real relationship as we spent 2 months together in Thailand and have photos and we talk everyday so have call logs too. Also my girlfriend has a 3 year old boy who lives in Thailand so would that be evidence enough she will return home?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Your girlfriend does not need to show any money in the bank as you or your father will be sponsoring her, Your father can not act as a guarantor but he can however act as your girlfriends sponsor if he is going to be funding the trip or is going to be offering food and accommodation. I have recently done a family visit visa application and I used internet printout bank statements and they where accepted without any problems. From putting the application in to having the passport back took 5 days but the processing time really depends on the time of year. Your girlfriend having a child may help a bit but it really is not a reason to return back to Thailand as many Thai children are raised by other family members. If that is the only reason to return you can add something along the lines of "my girlfriend will return to Thailand at the end of her visit as she would not want to jeopardise any future visa applications" but most of all be honest in your application.

Best of luck

Edited by MaprangHolmes

With the bank statements the key is that they have enough on them so that the ECO knows that they are genuine. I used pdf copies twice successfully but they did have the bank logo on them. I am not sure that a printout without the bank identification would be acceptable. The whole question of proof of returning to Thailand can be difficult. Does she have a job? If so a signed letter from her employer confirming that she has a job to return to is very useful. Basically anything you can say which provides a good reason to return including the wording in the previous post. I agree and the ECO will know that having a child in Thailand is not the same as having a child in the UK. They are farmed out to grandparents as a natural event. As stated above honesty is essential. I think you also need to think about the relationship side of things as 2 months is not really that long. How long have you been together? The longer the better obviously. Also think about where you will be staying. If your own place then information about that..owned, rented, size but if you are staying with someone else then you need a signed letter of invitation from that person with information about their accommodation and possibly a utility bill as proof of residence. As to the timing the application itself takes a bit of time but you can save it as you go. You can get an appointment for your girlfriend at The Trendy Building quite quickly but before she attends she needs all the paper documentation to support the application. The applications themselves have as stated above been quick so far this year but it is getting towards the busy time with many student applications so they might take a bit longer.

OK I will include the sentence about a Visa in the future to my letter. Unfortunately she doesn't have a job she is working on her sisters farm at the moment so she cant get a letter from her employer.

I met her in April last year and we spend only 2 week together then. But when I went back to Thailand in January i spend 2 months together and we together everyday so I feel I know her well enough to prove it is a real relationship.

Another question, when you do the online application form do I attach all the relevant letters and information to the additional information tab at the end of the application or does my girlfriend take it to Bangkok with her?

And regarding my girlfriend bank statement, even if she has no money in her bank at all then this is still OK?

Thanks

Terry

As has been pointed out your father can sponsor your girlfriends trip, explain that he is doing so and why, also as been pointed out by 7by7 there is no such thing as a guarantor so drop that comment.

In all honesty your girlfriends biggest hurdle is going to be her reason to return, she has no job and no money in the bank, she really does need to satisfy the ECO that she is a genuine visitor who will be returning home at the conclusion of her holiday.

A child isn't normally regarded as a strong reason to return, the ECO will be aware that it's not uncommon for a grandparent to look after a child whilst the mother is living away.

How long is your girlfriend proposing to stay in the UK?

• Like 2

When you do the online application you can refer to everything but the actual papers have to be physically presented with the application in Bangkok. If you will be in England at the time you need to make sure that she knows exactly what she has to take with her. As regards your girlfriend's bank account just don't mention it. As has ben said the ECO doesn't care where the money comes from as long as the trip can be funded. I agree with theoldgit that you need to really think about her reasons to return to Thailand and make a good case for that.

If you are processing/making the application for her, make sure, she knows and understands everything you have said or stated anywhere, and exactly what the paperwork you are providing her with is for etc etc, because if she is questioned, and the answers dont match, or she appears to not know, the whole thing will collapse like a house of cards.

• Like 1

It is unlikely that they will question her about the contents of the application nor should they as they have no part to play in considering the application but they might say something is not necessary and try to get her to take it out. Make sure she goes with all the supporting documents that you think are necessary and tell her to insist that the application is sent to the Embassy as submitted. Being forceful with an authority figure is not a typical Thai trait however but you have to be firm about this if you cannot go with her. Even if you could go with her you would not be allowed inside so she would still have to do that part on her own. I actually think that it is quite an ordeal for the average Thai lady applicant to go in there on their own.

If you are processing/making the application for her, make sure, she knows and understands everything you have said or stated anywhere, and exactly what the paperwork you are providing her with is for etc etc, because if she is questioned, and the answers dont match, or she appears to not know, the whole thing will collapse like a house of cards.

The consulate 'phoned my girlfriend after they'd texted her twice in connection with the progression of her application to ask her two questions to confirm information she'd provided in her application. One was the reason for her application and the other was the address of my brother whom she'd said we'd be visiting whilst in the U.K..

A friend of ours was 'phoned similarly and asked if her sponsor was her boyfriend; on the application she'd said 'no' (because he didn't want to be named as her boyfriend) but she unthinkingly answered 'yes' and collected her passport which didn't contain the visa.

Edited by piersbeckett
  • Like 1

Yes the Embassy might well telephone for clarification over something as is their right but the VFS staff should not. In post 9 I did say that honesty is essential so that any answer you give will be the correct one because it is the honest one. The application should not contain any inaccuracies or fudges . Just not worth the risk.

• Like 1

OK so I will make sure I have everything worded correctly for the reason to return to Thailand and mention about future Visa's I will also try and find something more to support her reason to return home.

Unfortunately I will be in the UK when she goes to the embassy so I will make sure I explain many times everything that is in the application. And would it be worth getting the letter translated to Thai so she can answer any question they may ask about it?

Also she is hoping to get a Tourist Visa for 6 months so we can see how things go in the UK and if the relationship will work.

Another question, when you do the online application form do I attach all the relevant letters and information to the additional information tab at the end of the application or does my girlfriend take it to Bangkok with her?

The actual procedure is:-

1. complete online form;
  2. submit online form, pay fee online, make appointment with VFS and print out hard copy of application form;
  3. applicant signs hard copy of application form to take to VFS with supporting documents;
  4. attend VFS to hand in paperwork and have biometrics taken;
  5. go home and wait;
  6. email received from embassy saying passport etc. returned to VFS;
  7. two days later, email received from VFS saying they have passport to be collected or returned by courier, depending on the option chosen.

Note that neither of the above emails will say whether she has got the visa or not. This is considered confidential and she will not know until she has her passport back and looks inside.

As said above, if everything you and she say in the application is the truth then there should be no problems with you contradicting each other.

However, providing her with a Thai translation of your sponsor's letter, and any other letter's in English such as your father's, and a list of the documents will make sure she fully understands what you have said.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the help everyone, very much appreciated.

My girlfriends has told me her sister will let her sign a form showing that she has handed over her land to my girlfriend as a reason to return to Thailand and if the Visa is excepted she will then Sign the land back over to her sister. Do you think this is a good idea to show more reasons for her to return to Thailand?

Thanks

Terry

I would also greatly appreciate it If you could take the time to read through my Letter and give me any Advice on it.

To Whom It May Concern.

Regarding the Application for a General Visitors Visa for X, DOB X, Passport Number: 99999

I am writing to confirm that I wish to invite X to visit me in the UK on the 7th June 2015, this is just before my sisters wedding which X has been invited too, I have also attached a copy of the invitation. X will be leaving the UK on December 1st. I am hoping for X to stay in the UK with me for 6 months on a Tourist Visa too see how she likes living in the UK with the aim of her moving here in the future.

I earn enough money to support X during her stay in the UK and have a letter from my employer to state I have work. Although as I don't have sufficient money in my bank account, X will act as the sponsor for the Trip, X has written a letter explaining this agreement.

X will not overstay her Tourist Visa as she has a young child of 3 who lives in Thailand and as we plan on one day marrying and living in the UK we don't want to have problems with future Visa applications. We also understand the implications of overstaying.

X and I first met when I came Travelling around Thailand and Asia in April 2014, we spent 4 weeks together before I carried on Travelling around Asia. We next met in December 2014 and spent 3 months together, we were constant companions during the time and spent everyday together. When I returned to the UK on the 3rd March 2015 we spoke to each other everyday on Line Chat and also Skype.

X is currently unemployed and helps out on a Farm with her sister so I send her money. I will pay for X Airfare and all her living costs when in the UK so her personal expenditure will be minimal.

I work as an Electrical Sub-Station Technician on a full time permanent basis.

I am Currently living with my parents and they have offered for X to stay here whilst she is in the UK and I have a letter from my Parents explaining this agreement. X and I will share a room whilst she is in the UK.

Documents Enclosed to support the application:

• Invitation To X(Sister's) wedding

• Letter from Parents giving permission for X to stay at their house.

• Letter From X explaining that he will sponsor X

• Evidence of Video calling and conversation (Used Line chat).

• Bank Statements from my UK bank account

• Bank Statements From X (Sponsor's) UK Bank account

• Western union money transfer documents

• Wage slips (I am paid weekly)

• Letter from my Employer

• Photocopy of my passport showing entries and exits to Thailand

• Photocopy of X passport

• Photocopy X Thai ID card

• Photos of my Time Spent with X

• Photos of my parents home in the UK

Thank you for considering this application. If there is any other information you need in order to make your decision please contact me.

Yours Faithfully,

X

To be honest your girlfriends application could go either way, the ECO will see a young lady with no employment in Thailand and, apart from her child, no real ties, and is wishing to go to the UK for the full six months that a tourist visa might allow.

The ECO might wonder why she would need six months in the UK to get a feel for the place and also what she would be doing whilst you are at your place of employment.

The letter covers the points you need to make, she should do one as well, though I might be inclined to play down the fact she plans to settle in the UK in the future.

She is using her child as a reason to return, she might want to expand on the child issue by saying who would be taking care of the child whilst she is on "holiday" adding that it is only a temporary arrangement.

You mention your employment, I would revise this to say that you have held this job for however and mention the future prospects.

To be quite frank I think the application is a long shot, but I wish you well.

• Like 1

I rather agree with theoldgit. 6 months is a very long time for a holiday, especially when the person she is visiting is working full-time. Why not just apply for one month? If successful she'll still get a 6 month visa, although it is not a great idea to extend the holiday without good reason as it may make future applications more difficult.

Good luck.

• Like 1

It is unlikely that they will question her about the contents of the application nor should they as they have no part to play in considering the application but they might say something is not necessary and try to get her to take it out. Make sure she goes with all the supporting documents that you think are necessary and tell her to insist that the application is sent to the Embassy as submitted. Being forceful with an authority figure is not a typical Thai trait however but you have to be firm about this if you cannot go with her. Even if you could go with her you would not be allowed inside so she would still have to do that part on her own. I actually think that it is quite an ordeal for the average Thai lady applicant to go in there on their own.

This is totally wrong and applicants should be prepared to be questioned by VFS on the contents of their application and supporting documents.

This is totally wrong and applicants should be prepared to be questioned by VFS on the contents of their application and supporting documents.

VFS staff have NO right to question anybody about the information contained in there application they are simply used to collect applications and BIO information, they do try at times to take documents out but you have the right to insist that everything is sent as you have prepared it. If they try and interrogate you simply but polity decline to answer, take there name and make a complaint. VFS play NO part in the decision making of an application that is done by a qualified ECO not a person working for VFS.

• Like 1

Indeed, and this is an important point.

VFS staff play absolutely no part in the decision making process and have no right to question an applicant nor offer 'advice' on an application.

They may sometimes advise an applicant that a document is missing or an included one not needed, but that is not really their function and they must forward the application as is to the embassy if the applicant tells them to.

Decisions on all applications are made by ECOs; who are UKVI staff based at the embassy; though in extremely rare instances the application may be referred to the UK for a decision.

If anyone, be it applicant, sponsor, applicant's employer etc., is does need to be questioned then this will be done, usually by telephone, by the ECO or a Thai speaking member of staff at the embassy.

My girlfriends has told me her sister will let her sign a form showing that she has handed over her land to my girlfriend as a reason to return to Thailand and if the Visa is excepted she will then Sign the land back over to her sister. Do you think this is a good idea to show more reasons for her to return to Thailand?

I would advise strongly against this.

Such an action shortly before a visa application is bound to arouse the ECO's decision.

As for your letter, I agree with theoldgit.

OK so I have changed my letter to say that Suna will be coming to the UK on a 2 month holiday to attend my sisters wedding and also to be in the UK for my birthday. I have also edited the bit about her son to say her sister will be looking after him whilst she is away.

Although if the Visa is granted and we are happy together we would like it if she stayed longer so if this is the case would I need to inform the UK immigration so not to have problems with future Visa applications?

Also I will tell her not to change the land ownership if it will arouse too much suspicion.

Thanks guys

Although if the Visa is granted and we are happy together we would like it if she stayed longer so if this is the case would I need to inform the UK immigration so not to have problems with future Visa applications?

In theory she is doing nothing wrong, a visa holder is not breaking any Immigration Laws by staying the full six months the visa would allow.

However there is a caveat, if your girlfriend presents herself at the UK Border with return flights six months hence it could, and I stress could, trigger further questioning by the Border Force Officer, who can pull up the original application on a computer. If she has a ticket for two months hence it shouldn't be an issue, though she is still likely to be asked about her travel plans.

As for telling the UKVI that she has stayed longer than originally planned, there is no need to do it at the time, I doubt if they would marry up the information, but she should mention it in any further application, fully explaining the change of plans.

• Like 1

As the oldgit has said there is nothing stopping your GF from staying the whole 6 months but when applying for another visa you will have to say that she stayed 4 months longer then you had told them and you would also need to give them a reason for why she stayed longer then you had told them in your application. Four months is a long time and I expect you could lose some credibility in future visa applications with such a big difference in the time that you had stated, to the time that she actually spent in the UK.

(In a future application if you are mainly using her son as a sole reason to return to Thailand it could be said that as she has left him for 6 months if another visa was granted she could overstay this visa as she has left her son for an extended period of time before) (Just a thought)

Hope she's happy with her own company as she's going to spend best part of her six months waiting for you to come home from work, drove mine round the bend, she cud not wait to leggit home once the time was up, hasn't been back since,they don't handle the cold well either, mine was advised not to mention her child by the visa agent, don't know why.she had nothing at all for her to return to Thailand for but was still given the visa, got grilled though by immigration in England to the point of crying, best of luck anyway..