direct deposit of Boeing pension

I filled out a Boeing pension direct deposit form and also applied for direct deposit on-line, to be deposited in my Krung Thai account. Now the Pension center says, "we are unable to deposit to that account, please consider another option." No reason stated, but could it be that the account has an ATM card?(concern about continued withdrawals after death) Surely there are many Boeing retirees using direct deposit here in Thailand. I would appreciate any feedback from Boeing retirees. Thanks.

I can't answer your question, but I can pose a possibility, as I soon face this same scenario from my own company in Seattle. Is it possible that you need a US dollar funds account established first? I was recently told this by bank staff at here in Thailand, that I would first have to open a US-funds account in order for a direct-deposit relationship to be set up from the States. I have yet to confirm/verify this as I was told to go to a larger branch to get further details.

I'll be watching this thread for hopefully more solid info.!

• Like 1

Quite a few pension administrators, and other agencies, US Social Security included will not deposit to some foreign countries. The USA banks and organizations are a bit behind many other countries in that regard. Many people have been able to set things up using Bangkok Bank branch in New York and that seems to facilitate transfers to Thailand. Direct deposit into a US bank will certainly work. Wells Fargo, and Charles Schwaub transfer money to Thai bank accounts pretty easily. It all boils down to cost and convenience.

But, you should put on your patience hat, your BEMS ID and try to communicate with the BORG pension people. I used to work with the BORG but don't have any retirement benefits or current knowledge of what institution maintains and administers their Pension plan.

• Like 2

Conversely, the OP could simply have his pension deposited in a U.S. bank account then use the Bangkok Bank NY routing number to transfer the money into his local Bangkok Bank account. Many of us do something similar for the same low fee structure.

Conversely, the OP could simply have his pension deposited in a U.S. bank account then use the Bangkok Bank NY routing number to transfer the money into his local Bangkok Bank account. Many of us do something similar for the same low fee structure.

Can you do this transfer online at minimum cost?

Or do you contact your US bank directly (email/phone call)?

Is the fee charged by your US bank only?

As mentioned in Pib's post, do you give them first the NYC Bangkok Bank routing number, and then your local Bangkok Bank account number?

Can you do this transfer online at minimum cost?

Or do you contact your US bank directly (email/phone call)?

Is the fee charged by your US bank only?

As mentioned in Pib's post, do you give them first the NYC Bangkok Bank routing number, and then your local Bangkok Bank account number?

It depends on your financial institution in the US. For example, for Vanguard it's free and can be done completely online. Some banks may want to charge a fee for the ACH transfer to NYC Bangkok Bank, some won't. There's usually a one-time setup process involved. I believe that is explained at the Bangkok Bank website quite well. The directions are remarkably well-written in English for a Thai bank, actually they are written as well as any directions I've see on an American bank.

You ACH transfer your money to the NYC Bangkok Bank routing number. It transfers there and is actually sent by SWIFT to Thailand where it is converted into Baht and deposited in your local Bangkok Bank account (the SWIFT transfer is automatic, you don't have to do anything. You pay for it in the fees paid to BBK, the $5 or $10 you are charged for the transfer). You can set up receiving a SMS on your Thai cell phone when the money reaches your local account in Thailand. The SMS tells you the exchange rate and the BBK fee for converting the money from $ to Baht and receiving it into the local account. You can figure out the BBK fee for yourself, but the exchange rate is nice to know. The SMS is also very useful for doing the one-time setup process since it lets you know what $ have been sent (which is information you do need to know so you can confirm that the setup is successful). It takes about 2-3 business days from when you initiate the ACH transfer to NYC BBK bank to when it is received into your local BBK bank account in Thailand.

I like that it can be done completely online (no phone calls necessary), it's reasonably fast, and the fees are minimal. And being notified by SMS that it is safely in your local BKK bank account is a bonus.

Thanks Skatewash! Great help!

Skatewash is the man. I have found his responses and knowledge spot on as the Brits would say. The next time I am in Thailand, beers are on me! More good than bad, but this damn contract I am on just keeps getting extended! I thought I was done on Feb 28 and I had just about bought my ticket when they put me on another project and seem to want to give me money through at least August. And the buggers actually expect me to work too! What's up with that? I was working on the X-47B project. Check the news. You should see the latest automated aerial refueling test that was completed.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for offering the good advice and help. I'll give my account at Bangkok Bank a try - sounds like the best way. I did think of using my US bank, but MorganStanley denies online transfers outside of the USA, forcing one to go through their broker. A last resort, I guess.

Thanks to all for offering the good advice and help. I'll give my account at Bangkok Bank a try - sounds like the best way. I did think of using my US bank, but MorganStanley denies online transfers outside of the USA, forcing one to go through their broker. A last resort, I guess.

Except you aren't transferring outside of the USA....you'd be transferring to the New York branch of BKK bank. BKK bank then transfers it from their NY branch out of the U.S. to your local account.

When transferring the funds and "if" asked the address of your bank also, use the New York branch address vs the address of your in-Thailand branch. Some of the older ibanking transfer systems asked you to enter the address also, but now the newer systems look up the address automatically after you enter the routing number and display the bank name and/or address for you as an additional confirmation you didn't make a typo in entering the routing number....all depends on the bank system as to how they do it.

As already mentioned this is treated as a domestic transfer....so be sure to do everything/make all entries as a domestic transfer; not an international transfer. Bangkok Bank has had this ACH receiving capability as long as I can remember....probably been tens of thousands (or much more) of transfers to Thailand via the Bangkok Bank NY branch. All perfectly legal. Based on ThaiVisa posts quite a few folks have their monthly pension social security/military retirement/civil service retirement payments sent that way...I also did for a few months. And over the years I've done it quite a few adhoc/manual transfers and have a funds transfer link setup to my Bangkok Bank account(s) in each one of my U.S. bank ibanking systems. It simply works...and at a much lower cost than the typical SWIFT transfer which averages around $35 just on the Sending bank end.

• Like 2

I can't say for sure if a "Private Pension" would need the special Direct Deposit account.

No, that's just for US Gov't payments. No "in person only withdrawals" nor "no ATM card" associated with private direct deposits, since there's no special Direct Deposit account involved.

• Like 1