Is our iPad dead?

cheeryble

Hi there

Nearly a week ago wife's Mum brought the iPad home a bit wet.

She had had it in a bag and a bottle of water had leaked......ie nowhere near total immersion but I had to tissue it dray after removing the cover.

The screen went crazy with the icons flying left or right at random and so on.

It would not turn off.

I said we'll just let it dry if possible and see what happens....left it with a fan in the room.

It got a bit better gradually.....much better actually.

It is now at the stage where it will turn off and all the icons are usable EXCEPT a line from left to right about in the area of the first row of icons as one looks in landscape view.

(It will flip properly between landscape and portrait).

Example it will open MAIL as that's not in the top row.

When one opens MAIL it will then open any mails except what's in that top row area which in this case is the first mail in the list.

It will open all others normally.

I don't know how these screens work but it seems something has happened to the connectors to the screen so they are dud.

It does not seem to have continued it's improvement the last couple of days which I presume was thanks to drying out.

Question is:

Anything I can do?

Information: It's getting on it's the top version of the first iPad that came out (so it won't run the latest iOS).

So basically if there's something pretty easy or cheap to do it may be worth saving it.

But what would that be?

Tech geeks please inform!

The top layer of glass is the digitizer, translating finger touches into xy coordinates.

See if you can wick out all the moisture by sticking it in a shallow tray, cover with raw dried rice, and cover tightly for 24-48 hours.

Rice is a great desiccant if you don't already have any silica packs, or activated charcoal, calcium sulfate (Drierite), or calcium chloride handy.

While you could take it to Apple and have them replace the digitizer, the cost will most likely be outrageous.

Some of the smaller shops can do a third-party replacement for a lot less.

• Like 2

Rice is a good idea it will dry it out. Just an FYI... never power up a wet device.. that's when the problems starts... You most likely damaged the board and it will become useless in time. Apple has a moisture sensor in the device so warranty [if covered] will be void... unless you took the 1 year any issue warranty that I bought for B1000 when I got my wife her iPad.

Edited by Jeffrey346

1st generation is getting long in the tooth. Not running the latest software adds a second reason to replace. I'm thinking that would be the best especially if you have everything on iCloud anyway. It would all be available on the new device.

Recently cracked the glass on my iPad 2, purchased in 2011. Apple repair here in Chiang Mai said they just send it in and a reconditioned replacement is sent at a cost of 8800 baht. Too steep for me. Went to another generic repair shop and they said, one hour at a cost of 2000 baht. So, that is what I did. I can squeeze a little more time out of it although the wife is waiting patiently to inherit when I buy the new replacement this year.

1st generation is getting long in the tooth. Not running the latest software adds a second reason to replace. I'm thinking that would be the best especially if you have everything on iCloud anyway. It would all be available on the new device.

Recently cracked the glass on my iPad 2, purchased in 2011. Apple repair here in Chiang Mai said they just send it in and a reconditioned replacement is sent at a cost of 8800 baht. Too steep for me. Went to another generic repair shop and they said, one hour at a cost of 2000 baht. So, that is what I did. I can squeeze a little more time out of it although the wife is waiting patiently to inherit when I buy the new replacement this year.

Wise of you but still not cheaper than Seer along Vivawardi Rangsit Road which did my screen change for 1,800 in less than an hour. Checked with the official iPad service center and same screen change will cost about 4,000B. In conclusion, if OP wants to repair, suggest get down to Seer.

Thanks for all the really good suggestions.

I guess the rice thing is get some lovely dry rice and put it all in a plastic bag together?

Yes it is long in the tooth missus really wants a new mini which she bought a couple years ago and swapped got this older bigger one with me as she liked the big screen for games. But finds it a wee bit slow and iffy and now cannot get latest updates.

It WOULD be nice to have it for a backup though or for Mum's use and IF it was say 2000 baht for a screen it may be worth it.

As its a single bar-like area on the screen that don't work though I'm thinking it might be a screen problem caused by the damp.....hoping to get some understanding about that.

BTW thinking about a new mini..........I find it completely unnecessary to have a retina display there's almost no difference, and a few % extra performance I don't need.

What's the cheapest I can get an older model mini for now?

My present mini which is adequate is a 12gb and version 8.2 and model MD53TH/A is that a mini 1 or 2 or what?

THANKS!

Seems likely that one of the connectors has developed slight corrosion which should easily be fixed by a visit to Pantip Plaza in Bangkok where these clever Thai Technicians seem able to deal with almost all problems. Sending it to an Apple Centre though is likely to result in a 10K Baht bill. This model in any event has been improved upon with the current line up with far better screens and unless you are an Apple Follower you could have a look at Samsung's Galaxy Range which have the ability to take large capacity SD memory cards. Even the latest IPads do not feature memory upgrades. Some Samsungs even have 4G cellular built in enabling phone calls and usability when away from WiFi areas.

cheeryble, there may still be some moisture trapped under the digitizer, causing that area to short out or intermittently send finger presses to the GUI.

So covering the iPad in dry rice in a completely sealed bag (or plastic container with snap-on non-spill lid) and placing it in a warm place will allow the moisture to be wicked out of it.

Give it a try. It won't hurt. Just remember to check the connector areas (power and headphone jack) for loose rice before using.

My original iPad died a year ago. Got it replaced this year with an iPad Mini 2. Works nice, even though I still prefer the larger display.

I guess the rice thing is get some lovely dry rice and put it all in a plastic bag together?

Yes it is long in the tooth missus really wants a new mini which she bought a couple years ago and swapped got this older bigger one with me as she liked the big screen for games. But finds it a wee bit slow and iffy and now cannot get latest updates.

It WOULD be nice to have it for a backup though or for Mum's use and IF it was say 2000 baht for a screen it may be worth it.

As its a single bar-like area on the screen that don't work though I'm thinking it might be a screen problem caused by the damp.....hoping to get some understanding about that.

BTW thinking about a new mini..........I find it completely unnecessary to have a retina display there's almost no difference, and a few % extra performance I don't need.

My present mini which is adequate is a 12gb and version 8.2 and model MD53TH/A is that a mini 1 or 2 or what?

THANKS!

The iPad mini 2 with retina display is great value and a massive difference in performance than the mini 1. The mini 3 only difference is the fingerprint scanner for a lot more money. Mini 2 & 3 have the same processors & retina display.

Believe me, I had the mini 1 and there is a big difference in performance & viewing quality from the mini 2. I have had my mini 2 for 8 months and this will do me for easily 2-3 years.

Edited by DMC1

I've never had an Apple product so not sure of the specifics, but if you can disassemble it as much as possible (take off the back, battery, SIM etc) to give every opportunity for the moisture to get out, then you might just get away with it with the rice trick.

The are more potent moisture absorbers that are available in places like BKK, but the hassle in terms of time expended and travel might not be worth it when rice will probably do a good enough job to see if it is recoverable before replacing parts.

http://meatballcandy.com/2013/stick-your-phone-in-rice

[Edit]: I wouldn't eat the rice after putting your phone in it just in case it pulls out some nasties from all the plastics/metals/chemicals in there.

[Edit 2]: You say it has some functionality in landscape mode. If you rotate 180 degrees does the problem move to the opposite side of the viewing area, or remain where the icons you can't currently access are?

Edited by Shiver

Again thanks for the input.

I got a question:

"[Edit 2]: You say it has some functionality in landscape mode. If you rotate 180 degrees does the problem move to the opposite side of the viewing area, or remain where the icons you can't currently access are?"

No the problem stays in the same area of the screen a line about an inch or less wide the whole width of the screen in landscape.

​That's why I suspect some moisture got under the digitiser as has been suggested.

Question:

DMC understand your points but really the iPad 1 (which it sounds like I have as no retina display) is just fine for me.

IF I could still buy a new one cheaply same as my other mini I would do so but still like to fix the wettened maxi iPad.

Any guesses how much I can pick up a new mini 1?

One of the problems with buying older units will be the non-updatable OS where many newer programs won't run, and the age of the non-removable battery (running out of charge capacity). Though a good shop might be able to put in a new battery for a price.

My original 3G iPad 1 has a bad battery and memory issues (crashes/reboots).

My new iPad Mini 2 would run circles around it.

I wouldn't want an iPad Mini 1 without a retina hires display and lower memory specs. The only thing I really miss is Internet Data and GPS because I didn't go for the 3G model version.

One of the problems with buying older units will be the non-updatable OS where many newer programs won't run, and the age of the non-removable battery (running out of charge capacity). Though a good shop might be able to put in a new battery for a price.

My original 3G iPad 1 has a bad battery and memory issues (crashes/reboots).

My new iPad Mini 2 would run circles around it.

I wouldn't want an iPad Mini 1 without a retina hires display and lower memory specs. The only thing I really miss is Internet Data and GPS because I didn't go for the 3G model version.

Yes it's a thought Richcor....

The iPad (the maxi, the one in question) already has this problem of course and that;s a real problem.

But my mini with no retina which we think might be a 1 is still updating so far, and that is what i'm considering duplicating to replace the maxi.

Difficult to say how long it will go before updates become a problem I suppose.

Batteries still OK on both devices which is pretty good.

ps I have only just realised really that is it is still partially usable.

e.g. by rotating the screen to get my clicks into the undamaged zone I can eventually look up a mail.

Or a movie can be be watched on youtube by the niece and nephew.

Edited by cheeryble

THANKS!

From the Apple shop:

Ipad Mini 1: 8600 baht.

Ipad Mini 2: 10,400 for 16gb, 12200 for 32gb.

Ipad Mini 3: 13,400 for 16gb, 16,900 for 64gb

all above wi-fi only models.

The iPad mini 2 with retina display is great value and a massive difference in performance than the mini 1. The mini 3 only difference is the fingerprint scanner for a lot more money. Mini 2 & 3 have the same processors & retina display.

From what you say DMC it's the mini 2 the best alternative.

Are they all retina?

From Sheuang Wan's prices i also glean it might be worthwhile just to up the memory a bit to 32. (I've managed my present mini by just deleting stuff when it nears 16gb full.

This works OK for instance I upload my movie iPhoto files to youtube then delete from iPhoto.

ps: i was pals in Chelsea with Georgie.

From what you say DMC it's the mini 2 the best alternative.

Are they all retina?

From Sheuang Wan's prices i also glean it might be worthwhile just to up the memory a bit to 32. (I've managed my present mini by just deleting stuff when it nears 16gb full.

This works OK for instance I upload my movie iPhoto files to youtube then delete from iPhoto.

ps: i was pals in Chelsea with Georgie.

The mini 1 is not retina display. Mini 2 & 3 are retina. I believe that the mini 1 uses the same internals as the old iPad 2.

I have got the 32gb mini 2 and that is plenty of storage for my usage. 16gb just isn't quite enough for me nowadays.

I have got the 32gb mini 2 and that is plenty of storage for my usage. 16gb just isn't quite enough for me nowadays.

Yeah 16 is only just ok and likely to get worse in future better be 32

Thanks again maxi is spending time not in rice bag but in bedroom with fan all night live in hope (but not a lot)

The Fan-only will not work.

Don't know why you don't want to try the rice (unless you don't have any).

You need *something* that will act as a super-absorbent lowering the moisture content of the surrounding air (inside a confined sealed space also containing the iPad). Can be done, as said, with silica gel shipping/storage packets or some other stronger desiccant material (dedicated drying agent used to lower air moisture levels).

Allowing excess moisture to remain may cause irreversible corrosion of miniature electronic parts and connecting wires.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

^ As RichCor said, try the rice trick. Fan won't work.

It simple physics really. Total gas pressure in the enclosed system will be the same in any part or any corner of the system. The partial pressure of any particular gas would also be the same in any part of the enclosed system, there will be no pressure gradient across the system.

Lets say someone sits in a sealed chamber with certain % of O2, N2 and CO2 in it, and it's a pretty big chamber. The partial pressure of said gasses will be the same in every corner of that chamber. As someone breathes the air mixture, he/she would consume the O2 and produce the CO2. The O2 / CO2 content (or a partial pressure) will start to change. While the total gas pressure will not change, the O2 content (or partial pressure) will start decreasing and CO2 increasing right around that person. With each breath that person will create O2 and CO2 pressure gradients near him/her (lower partial pressure for O2 and higher for CO2) and therefore the gasses will have to migrate to equalize the pressure in a whole system. Over time the O2 content in a whole sealed chamber would drop from 21% and CO2 would increase to the levels unsuitable to support life.

Now replace the person with your iPad, O2 with a water vapor, and a sealed chamber with a plastic zip lock bag or a food container with rice. Water vapor will not be drawn out from the inside of the device (or more correctly, will not be drawn out fast enough) unless you create a significant pressure gradient for the water vapor. A simple fan blowing onto the device will only remove that little bit of moisture that finds it's way from the inside of the device, which is really not very much.

The Fan-only will not work.

Don't know why you don't want to try the rice (unless you don't have any).

You need *something* that will act as a super-absorbent lowering the moisture content of the surrounding air (inside a confined sealed space also containing the iPad). Can be done, as said, with silica gel shipping/storage packets or some other stronger desiccant material (dedicated drying agent used to lower air moisture levels).

Allowing excess moisture to remain may cause irreversible corrosion of miniature electronic parts and connecting wires.

You try getting rice from grandma Richcor/Shurup!

Nevertheless looks like i'll have to.

Today I asked about the iPad which missus "put in a plastic bag in the rice"

She said go and check it it's in the rice ong....a lovely big old clay jar with a handmade wooden lid and handle rather lovely.

So i figured she'd put it in with a lot of rice great.

I went to the ong.

Sit down.

She had wrapped the iPad in the black bag THEN put that in the ong.

Obviosuly nothing has changed in the last couple of days.

EXCEPT

she has impulsively gone out and bought a mini.

So now she asked if I would show here who to get her photos out of the maxi with iCloud.

I have gone to the maxi (which I can still use by rotating until the icons work) and looked under SETTINGS>ICLOUD

THsi is where it gets interesting.

It says Total Storage 5.0gb

Available 4.9gb

I click MANAGE STORAGE

it says first

ICloud Photo Library 975.9kb

BAckups

ipad 60.1MB

MAil 39.8MB

BUT there are a ton of photos in there certainly into more than hundreds it must be well over a thousand.

So how can these be backed up if they've only taken up 975kb storage....that's not enough is it?

Thanks!

Photos are always stored in a compressed data format.

If the photos are backed up, then signing up the new iPad mini to the same account should give it access.

If for whatever reason that doesn't work, there are many apps that can either help you transfer the photos between devices or to another location for retrieval.

Try making sure they're backed up to iCloud first.

If you have a computer running iTunes you can also sync the maxiPad to it as well.